New PC - strange Windows freezes (probable cause: NZXT CAM)

Korben

Created an account just to add myself to the list.

I can't tell what exactly started this problem, since I had been using my PC for almost 3 months without any issue. My PC first "froze" after an After Effects memory leak, then it just kept happening pretty frequently. I had also updated my Windows OS a week before that.

I tried removing NZXT CAM from autostart and launching manually, but doing that causes a BSOD, so I had to uninstall it. No freezes since doing that.

System:

- 5600X

- B550-A PRO

- H510i

I don't have any other software to control pumps, fans, etc.

3 hours ago, phonywall said:

Created an account just to add myself to the list.

I can't tell what exactly started this problem, since I had been using my PC for almost 3 months without any issue. My PC first "froze" after an After Effects memory leak, then it just kept happening pretty frequently. I had also updated my Windows OS a week before that.

I tried removing it from autostart and launching manually, but doing that causes a BSOD, so I had to uninstall it. No freezes since doing that.

System:

- 5600X

- B550-A PRO

- H510i

I don't have any other software to control pumps, fans, etc.

If you don't use CAM Software, your problem could be different from the thread topic.

7 minutes ago, mangokr said:

If you don't use CAM Software, your problem could be different from the thread topic.

He has a NZXT H510i. What i did understand, is that he doesn't use any other software besides CAM. 

Hi there, 

New user and first time posting. 

I’m having the same issues as other people here, but I’m running an Intel i7-10700K. I’ve noticed most people having issues are running AMD, so I thought I’d chime in. 

I had my custom BLD for about a week (early March) before the first “freeze” happened (I feel like I did a Windows update right before as well). My PC would completely lock up (couldn’t use mouse, keyboard, etc.), and the timing was random. It once got so bad that I couldn’t log into Windows for more than 10 seconds before it was frozen. I managed to disable all start up apps one at a time (Razer Synapse, CAM, Fusion, etc.) and that stopped the PC from freezing after startup. But this didn’t solve the freezing issue while watching videos or gaming. 

After doing some research, I have stopped using CAM for the past 5 days and I haven’t had the PC freeze once. Coincidence? I’m not entirely sure, but I wanted to provide my feedback. I know NZXT is working on the issue, and I’m sure it’s just as frustrating for them as it is for us. 

One more thing - I did a complete reinstall of Windows but that didn’t solve the problem. I also think having CAM and Razer Synapse running at the same time was causing some sort of conflict. But that’s just my guess. 

Took me a long time to make this topic and after i hopped out somewhat out of nowhere your topic apeared.

Short story i swapped my old case wich i had for years to an NZXT 710i a 2 weeks ago after that i started having the same freezes as you describe complete 100% the same 

I havent tried it yet but tomorow ill dissable NZXT Cam from startup and see if this makes any diffrence if it does ill probably refund my case

I'm glad I found this discussion and learned that the developers are already working on a solution to the problem.
I faced the same situation as the author of the topic, and I also managed to find out that the problems are caused by СAM software. After turning off СAM, my PC has been working for many days without any problems.

NZXT H510 Elite
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
20H2 19042.870

I had these issues with a h510i case on a  new build, computer freezing, kernel error, restarting constantly. I took it to the shop (they mounted it themselves) and they told me it was the case issues, they have been receiving a batch of bad h510i cases that come in contact with the MOBO and cause it to freeze or shortcircuit in some way. They mounted the exact same components outside the case and in another case and it worked perfectly...   So just letting you guys know if that happens to anyone else.

I ended up having to buy a new case and have to send the h510i back because I bought it at another place.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, BurntToasters said:

Hey yeah ive been talking with Jeff the product manager of NZXT cam via email and it looks like this is an AMD CPU issue. I have a R7 3800x and a GTX 1070-Ti and this has been happening to me up to when I uninstalled cam. I tried to get the problem running on windows 10 (20H2) on my 4th gen i7 and it didnt happen. One thing I noted is this issue only happens on windows 10 version 2004-20H2. Windows 10 1909 does not have this issue on ryzen at least for me as I tested it.

having the same issue we all have with an INTEL CPU here...

Hello.

Seems it's not only AMD issue. I have exactly same random freezes all the time (Windows goes "not responding" state and need power off computer). My setup is:

Intel I9-10900K

Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX (latest bios)

NZXT H510 Elite case with NZXT rgb fans

Kraken X63

Windows 10 PRO 20H2

Latest NZXT CAM software

Everything is re-installed and no difference. I also noticed a very interesting thing. If the CPU boost is in the bios DEFAULT setting then Windows will freeze almost immediately. If the bios is set to a GAMING mode on the CPU that slightly overclocked then freezing will not happen so often.

Hope this will get fixed soon or I'll get rid of all NZXT stuff because I haven't any other option.I need my computer for work every day.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:13 PM, Dark-vash said:

He has a NZXT H510i. What i did understand, is that he doesn't use any other software besides CAM. 

Correct.

I gave up on using CAM for the most part. I keep it set to auto-run at startup so that it takes care of the lighting, etc when I reboot...but then I'll close the program as others have suggested. For normal use, it seems to work just fine. I've even been able to play my regular games without using it and the CPU temp doesn't seem to suffer. I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online for the most part and that one barely uses the CPU so I guess that's why. I don't know that I'd want to render anything without CAM turned on...I use Daz Studio and that's supposed to use the GPU for rendering...however every once in a while it kicks to the CPU and when that happens the CPU will stay at 100% usage and I wouldn't want that to happen without CAM on for the pump control. 

I really hope this gets fixed at some point because having to hard reset is not something I want to do often. I just remember the days of hard reset = expensive paperweight. *shivers* 

Hello.

I'm using Intell CPU I9 10900 and NVIDIA RTX 3080, and even with a fresh install of Windows and ONLY CAM installed, it was still causing the issue.

I fear to install it again , but i own a z73 and would like to set my dispaly.

My pc works perfect without CAM , after installing i have mini freezes in lot of games and my windows have stability issue.

When i unistall CAM , i still have the issue. Had to format 2 times. each time i did step by step and Cam ws the culpit.

i have broken pipe events for cam in windows logs

Thanks for helping me.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:27 PM, Monkas said:

I have exactly same random freezes all the time (Windows goes "not responding" state and need power off computer).

I think on AMD it only freezes without "not responding". In my case sometimes I can move windows around for a while.

Hi Guys!
I'm here extra for this thread.

I upgraded my PC for 2000 € in September 20. For Weeks i had problems with idling freezes, tried everything, returned the my new CPU,  ram, my board, boaugt a second M2 everything. I was so frustrated that by December i sold my complete system.

A week ago I got a new PC for € 2800. All new parts, no existing ones! Unfortunately I bought a Kraken CPU cooler again because I didn't see that this could be the cause for the freezes. The new PC freezes again after a day of idle time. Thank god I found this post. I deactivated CAM and dont have any problem since. This shit cost me over € 3,000 for troubleshooting and lot of headaches.

Hi everyone made a account purely for this issue. I installed a z73 cooler on my 10700k and within a day experienced the same issue, I never had this kind of problem prior to installing cam. since closing the cam app in the tray no issues 

11 hours ago, Siimmonnn said:

Hi everyone made a account purely for this issue. I installed a z73 cooler on my 10700k and within a day experienced the same issue, I never had this kind of problem prior to installing cam. since closing the cam app in the tray no issues 

If you own doom eternal, please check metrics in nightmare mode and lets see if you have suttering even after unistalling cam . Please let me know 🙂 Thanks

A little disappointed there is still no sign of a solution for this. The first post was in July 2020, with now dozens of people with the issue on here and probably countless people experiencing the issue and not realising what is causing it as it's extremely hard to diagnose.

NZXT has such nice products and it is backed up with some quite frankly, terrible software.

The other issue I've experienced (I've mentioned it a couple of time in this topic already), is that with Game Hooking turned on (which is on by default), some games flat out will not launch. Monster Hunter World being one example, another hard to diagnose problem.

I built this PC back in the first week of January and I've had two problems with it. Both problems for this expensive PC have been because of CAM, gaming hooking causing some games to not launch and this freezing/locking issue. Everything else with it has been absolutely perfect. One piece of software causing so many issues is not good enough and it means the expensive NZXT products people have bought can not be used as advertised.

My last two builds have been NZXT based as I love the products, particularly the aesthetic, but I think I will be jumping ship to a Corsair (or someone else) based build for my next one.

Sorry a bit of a rant, I know NZXT are trying and Jeff has been helpful in this topic, but I'm getting a little fed up now.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:32 AM, ddpatron said:

Hi, have you installed a clean version of Windows 1904 with CAM and no problems? Same here with 202H, random frezzes with and without CAM. I did a fresh Windows installation but I have 2004 now with no frezzes (1 month approx. and no prob yet). I haven't tried to install CAM yet because I'm scared for repeat all the installation process, programs, etc or if I install and then uninstall CAM the problem persist. Waiting new from Jeff. Thanks for all guys!

Same as you , the problem persist after unistall 😞 i had to format pc 2 times.

Need help for this !

Looks like a new version of CAM dropped...4.22.0. Also new version of iCUE. Trying them out. 

1 hour ago, MelissaGT said:

Looks like a new version of CAM dropped...4.22.0. Also new version of iCUE. Trying them out. 

Please let me know if it work for you 🙂

Thanks

5 hours ago, MelissaGT said:

Gonna try it out and see if it helps 

9 hours ago, MelissaGT said:

8 hours ago, Gringan said:

Please let me know if it work for you 🙂

Thanks

4 hours ago, RxNOOB said:

Gonna try it out and see if it helps 

I doubt this release will fix it, especially as the release notes are the first open (albeit inaccurate) confirmation of the bugs existence.image.png.8aa9ecef6312f236e92a1450f66e1aea.png

25 minutes ago, are512 said:

I doubt this release will fix it, especially as the release notes are the first open (albeit inaccurate) confirmation of the bugs existence.image.png.8aa9ecef6312f236e92a1450f66e1aea.png

nice, so 8 month later, the bug is confirmed LOL. This is also not happening only in Ryzen PCs... i have an INTEL and I'm havig same issues we all have...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/mgecw5/looks_like_nzxt_are_finally_investigating_the_cam/

Just found this thread after I started having this issue 2 days ago. My computer would just start being incredibly slow and unresponsive at a random time even though I could still move my mouse around, forcing me to shut it down with the power button. Guess I'm just going to uninstall CAM for now... even though it means my lights will go back to just being white. 😞