Why hasn't an "Inertial dampener" been invented yet?

Nine Tailed Fox
1 minute ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

regardless of Newton's 3rd law.

read that back, slowly

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

explain?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

"Inertial dampener"

Sounds like the same thing as brakes

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

38 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Or the break for our sponsor?

Hold on... that's a content dampener! 

you mean like the suspension in cars

Types of Springs for Your Vehicle - Meineke Car Careinertial dampener ^

15 hours ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Just seems like something that could be built regardless of Newton's 3rd law.

So... how?

How would you create such a thing? If you can answer that question, you will likely be the richest person alive (or at least very wealthy after having sold the design).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So... how?

How would you create such a thing? If you can answer that question, you will likely be the richest person alive (or at least very wealthy after having sold the design).

Nanomachines, Son | Know Your Meme

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So... how?

Because in 'Murica, only the laws of 'Murica apply!

Math and Physics have no place here!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Isn't an inertial dampener just a wave? I mean, the inertia of the water makes everything in its way wet.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Isn't an inertial dampener just a wave? I mean, the inertia of the water makes everything in its way wet.

... what?

Inertia is the exertion of forces - basically, an object with mass always wants to maintain it's current inertia, unless acted upon by external forces.

An object at rest wants to remain at rest. An object in motion wants to remain in motion, etc.

An "inertial dampener" is technobabble for something that effectively counteracts the effects of changing inertia.

So, take a rocket launch, for example. The rocket shoots up, and any cargo (humans or otherwise), want to remain stationary. They are then affected by both the force of being stationary and the force of the rocket moving - forcing themselves downwards - and experiencing G forces.

An inertial dampener in SCIFI basically removes G forces, allowing humans to survive maneuvers and velocity changes that would otherwise insta-liquefy a person.

For example, imagine going from 0 kph to 10 million kph in 1 second. You'd literally be a puddle. An inertial dampener would allow you to reduce or eliminate the G forces you're experiencing, allowing the vehicle to perform in ways that would normally endanger the cargo.

In theory, this could also be used to allow greater acceleration and speed than the vehicle would otherwise be capable of, and perhaps might even assist in FTL technology.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

... what?

Inertia is the exertion of forces - basically, an object with mass always wants to maintain it's current inertia, unless acted upon by external forces.

An object at rest wants to remain at rest. An object in motion wants to remain in motion, etc.

An "inertial dampener" is technobabble for something that effectively counteracts the effects of changing inertia.

So, take a rocket launch, for example. The rocket shoots up, and any cargo (humans or otherwise), want to remain stationary. They are then affected by both the force of being stationary and the force of the rocket moving - forcing themselves downwards - and experiencing G forces.

An inertial dampener in SCIFI basically removes G forces, allowing humans to survive maneuvers and velocity changes that would otherwise insta-liquefy a person.

For example, imagine going from 0 kph to 10 million kph in 1 second. You'd literally be a puddle. An inertial dampener would allow you to reduce or eliminate the G forces you're experiencing, allowing the vehicle to perform in ways that would normally endanger the cargo.

In theory, this could also be used to allow greater acceleration and speed than the vehicle would otherwise be capable of, and perhaps might even assist in FTL technology.

Haha, I'm well aware of the concepts of inertia.

Even though both damper and dampener are used interchangeable these days (not going to argue which is correct or not because English is silly and cases can be made for both arguments). Dampener is a silly word that I always think of as a thing that makes things wet. Hence the bad joke about waves.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Haha, I'm well aware of the concepts of inertia.

Even though both damper and dampener are used interchangeable these days (not going to argue which is correct or not because English is silly and cases can be made for both arguments). Dampener is a silly word that I always think of as a thing that makes things wet. Hence the bad joke about waves.

Well, damper means... more damp.

Dampener, on the other hand, is a real word. It means to subdue or reduce. Even though yes, in Scifi, people often use the phrase "inertial damper", even though that's wrong.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well, damper means... more damp.

It also mean a dulling or deadening influence :)

See where this is going? Just google damper vs. dampener and you'll see the rabbit hole of conflicting views.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

So... how?

Just saying. Just build some device to counter act the g forces and feed it enough power equivalent to amount of g's or something like that  lol.

Sure - just build a machine that can create anti-gravitons. Simples

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Just now, WihGlah said:

Sure - just build a machine that can create anti-gravitons. Simples

All we need is 1.21gigawatts to build a flux capacitor

50 minutes ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Just saying. Just build some device to counter act the g forces and feed it enough power equivalent to amount of g's or something like that  lol.

Using current understanding of physics, the only way to counter act the force would be an equal and opposite force - which would slow you down (or actually just keep you stationary completely). 

I mean, sure, that’d be awesome. But it’s currently just fiction. 

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Using current understanding of physics, the only way to counter act the force would be an equal and opposite force - which would slow you down (or actually just keep you stationary completely). 

I mean, sure, that’d be awesome. But it’s currently just fiction. 

But hey I mean it's possible now we can make anti-matter but really small amounts anyways

Off-Topic in the Off-Topic Topic Topic... 

Desktop: Intel Core i7-9700K | Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | Balistix Sport 32GB | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 4TB HDD

Corsair RM750xASUS ROG Stryx GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC | Be quiet! silent base 801

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T-430

Community Standards

Folding@Home

My Stats F@H

Just now, CYBR_GHST said:

Off-Topic in the Off-Topic Topic Topic... 

It is an offtopic discussion