Xbones incapabilty of 1080p games analyzed(32MB dedicated V"ram")

Alex(PlayMedium)

The xbone not only is weaker than the PS4 as far as pure performance goes, but it also only has DDR3 ram, which it uses for both the CPU and the GPU. But because DDR3 is just too slow to be used as VRAM, they put a special 32MB chip in the xbone. It is obviously faster than DDR3, but the size brings some problems. a single 1080p image takes up almost all of that(around 31.6MB), so everything would have to work in perfect tandem for 1080p to work properly on the xbone, which many devs were unable to do.

This is how I understand this subject. I am not a hardware designer and I don't know if everything I just wrote is actually true. Here is the article(it is in german, so i google translated it for you guys):

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgames.de%2FXbox-One-Konsolen-232351%2FNews%2FXbox-One-Games-nicht-in-1080p-spielbar-Video-Special-zu-moeglichen-Gruenden-1110788%2F

So yeah, very future-proof the xbone, isn't it? ^^

EDIT: You need to highlight the text for whatever reason, just fyi.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

It's terrible. The 360 does 720p... And it's almost 10 years old. There have been miniscule performance increases from the smaller manufacturing processes over time, but that's it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I have switched from a PC gamer to an xbox gamer and im lovin it. Don't give a crap about graphics, least most important thing in a game.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I'm sure they will get it to work eventually. Early teething problems is all it is. Play games on whatever platforms you like and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks, your playing for FUN after all.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

nothing new here. 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Im not that mad about 720p if the quality is dramatically increased.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

not sure a low end midrange gpu would be bottle necked by 2133mhz ddr3

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Im not that mad about 720p if the quality is dramatically increased.

i said the same thing until i saw my friend play windwalker on his WiiU at 1080p it was awesome

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm sure they will get it to work eventually. Early teething problems is all it is. Play games on whatever platforms you like and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks, your playing for FUN after all.

I'm not so sure: the only option is really nice compression and as good as you can get with compression the PS4 will always be able to do it without compression so it will remain at higher overall image quality. 

The only tricks here that will work for Microsoft are:

1) PRICE, they dropped already in the UK but not enough, they need to sell a version without kinect period.

2) Software: Exclusive titles could be used to avoid the comparisons and get away with compression along with game design around the limitations like more fog, etc.

3).....not sure actually, Magic?

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's terrible. The 360 does 720p... And it's almost 10 years old. There have been miniscule performance increases from the smaller manufacturing processes over time, but that's it.

It's not really that simple... The Xbox One is MUCH more powerful than the Xbox 360...

Resolution isn't everything.

if microsoft knew this why not add a 64MB chip in the first place whatever it does that chip it must be very cheap

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's not really that simple... The Xbox One is MUCH more powerful than the Xbox 360...

Resolution isn't everything.

Holy softball, linus replied to my post, I can die in peace now <3

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I don't disagree, 1080p is better always, but 720p done well can be good too.

i said the same thing until i saw my friend play windwalker on his WiiU at 1080p it was awesome

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm not so sure: the only option is really nice compression and as good as you can get with compression the PS4 will always be able to do it without compression so it will remain at higher overall image quality. 

The only tricks here that will work for Microsoft are:

1) PRICE, they dropped already in the UK but not enough, they need to sell a version without kinect period.

2) Software: Exclusive titles could be used to avoid the comparisons and get away with compression along with game design around the limitations like more fog, etc.

3).....not sure actually, Magic?

Over time developers can do some impressive things with consoles. Early issues should not be used as indication for how the whole generation will play out.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Over time developers can do some impressive things with consoles. 

Yes but it goes both ways: Devs will also do impressive things with the PS4 hardware which will always be even more capable. This arguments assumes that no more advancement will be done on the PS4 and only the xbone will benefit from optimization.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it managed to run most games at a steady 60fps, but it can't.  

Yes but it goes both ways: Devs will also do impressive things with the PS4 hardware which will always be even more capable. This arguments assumes that no more advancement will be done on the PS4 and only the xbone will benefit from optimization.

I was referring to all 3 consoles (And perhaps PC if Mantle takes off). There will always be a gap between the three, but really if you only care about the most powerful then your likely going to miss out on some fantastic games on the other platforms.

Project Tank

Even though the Xbox One can't play 1080p it's still future proof due to games being optimized solely for that console. So the games are still very playable, you just won't get the same eye candy you can get from the PS4.

if microsoft knew this why not add a 64MB chip in the first place whatever it does that chip it must be very cheap

Space on the die. The die size is fairly similar for both the PS4 and Xbox one. The SRAM is roughly equvilant to the space required for 6CUs, so going for anything larger than 32MB would have destroyed the GPU performance completely. 

They should have gone for GDDR5, or if the supply wasn't available, as was rumoured somewhere, a separate die, similar to Intels Haswell chips with on-package but off-die RAM 

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7546/chipworks-confirms-xbox-one-soc-has-14-cus

Even though the Xbox One can't play 1080p it's still future proof due to games being optimized solely for that console. So the games are still very playable, you just won't get the same eye candy you can get from the PS4.

You Can call everything futureproof ist stuff is especially developed for it.