Please explain to me how a Soundbar is better/superior to a 2.1 Speaker

Hi,

I use a Panasonic TV at home. I have connected my Logitech 2.1 speaker to my TV using the TV's headphone jack. The sound quality is quite impressive. When I search for Soundbars on Amazon I see that the price of a Soundbar is much higher than a 2.1 speaker system.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

What makes you think that higher price  = superior?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have the TV connected via digital to analog converter direct to my good old stereo system. 

I guess Soundbars are just so expensive because they are easy to use. Just plugin and ready to go.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What makes you think that higher price  = superior?

Frankly, I don't know anything about Soundbars. Never used one. That's why I am asking.

Using only Linux since 2007. Not a single MS Windows or Mac client at home.

I think it is more to do with convenience than sound quality. They are simpler, only one bar and maybe a sub instead of 2 separate speakers and a sub.

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Soundbars are not expensive because they sound better than proper speakers

Soundsbars came about because people wanted speakers that are compact and unobstrusive and fits in a space where TVs are usually placed

The cost comes about from the technical challenge of trying to make them sound as good as proper speakers

Lets not forget that putting terrible speakers into a TV then offering to sell the customer a solution is also a thing.

Honestly, my phone sounds better than my speakers on my TV, its louder and has better quality bass and treble. My TV (which is a mid range LG so not a supermarket special or anything) is all mid, the bass and treble are all compressed into the mid range and it sounds really muddy. I bought a little £30 Bluetooth speaker that I take to work with me and even that sounds better than my TV.

Its done that way on purpose.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Hey if that means I can get the meat of the TV (the screen) without being forced to also pay for good built-in speakers, I'm all for it

The TV market is competitive enough

Fair point, plus the practicalities of putting good speakers into modern TVs make it almost impossible anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 minutes ago, james_bond said:

Frankly, I don't know anything about Soundbars. Never used one. That's why I am asking.

Well in case it wasn't very obvious, they are very small and compact, and making something like that sound good takes a lot of engineering and technology, which makes the price higher.

There is nothing that says higher price = better.

There are good and cheap sound bars, just like good and cheap crappy 2.1 speakers.

It depends on the brand and quality and features.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, james_bond said:

Hi,

I use a Panasonic TV at home. I have connected my Logitech 2.1 speaker to my TV using the TV's headphone jack. The sound quality is quite impressive. When I search for Soundbars on Amazon I see that the price of a Soundbar is much higher than a 2.1 speaker system.

I work on the basis of don’t fix what ain’t broke. That’s why I still run a 32” 720p TV. If the sound quality is where you need it then I’d say stick with what you have. I myself have a 2.1 Logitech speaker system connected to my TV. But I have the speakers positioned behind my head, this way I can use the headphone jack for when I don’t want to disturb others in the house. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

meh..stereo, 2.1, soundbar and speaker set ups are basically the same honestly...its a what you want in looks or loudness or even how its connected. neither is superior to the other.

3 hours ago, circeseye said:

meh..stereo, 2.1, soundbar and speaker set ups are basically the same honestly...its a what you want in looks or loudness or even how its connected. neither is superior to the other.

Id agree. The only reason Id ever swtich to a sound bar is if I was upgrading to like a 5.1 setup. But as it stands i like my little 2.1 logitech speakers, they actually sound very good, Im kinda disapointed I didnt repurpose them to my TV sooner. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/20/2020 at 3:44 AM, james_bond said:

Hi,

It's not, inherently.

The primary benefit of a Soundbar is that it's one single device, and it takes up less space than spacing out several speakers and a sub.

Some Soundbars have a built-in sub - though generally not a very good one. Often they come with external subs (or you can add one afterwards) - these are better.

The other benefit of a Soundbar is the connectivity options are generally better, with TOSLINK and/or HDMI connections. They may also support newer audio codecs such as Master/HD Audio, ATMOS, etc.

A Soundbar can sound good or bad - though it's no substitute for a full surround sound system.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)