What Do You Consider Used?

I am building a PC to sell and I wanted to get feedback about how much usage would remove the "new" value. I was thinking about 24 hours of ontime before a buyer would consider it a used product? Thanks in advance!

A used item is something you're not buying from a retailer, but an individual seller.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Anything that has been removed from the original packaging and manhandled by someone. Regardless of how long it's actually been "used".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Product that has been opened

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 minutes ago, Jeve Stobs said:

I am building a PC to sell and I wanted to get feedback about how much usage would remove the "new" value. I was thinking about 24 hours of ontime before a buyer would consider it a used product? Thanks in advance!

The moment you removed item from the packaging it's no longer considered new in my book.

4 minutes ago, nox_ said:

The moment you removed item from the packaging it's no longer considered new in my book.

Its not that simple, as if you are building a PC to sell and ran it just to install an OS and test it works properly, you could still argue its "new".

Now if you built a PC to use for a specific task and THEN sell it, it would be used.

So its kinda more about intent than if its actually been removed from the packaging or powered up or not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

If I were a cautious buyer, then these would be my definitions:

New = Unopened

Open Box = Opened but never installed and powered on

Used = Installed and powered on

If there is an exceptional case, like it was only powered on for a few hours, make it abundantly clear so the customer knows just how "used" it was. If it was used for only a couple of minutes or hours, it would be more desirable than something that has been used for several months. Trying to pass it off as new would only make yourself look untrustworthy and trying to pull a trick on the buyer. Better to be straightforward with the details to help establish yourself as trustworthy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not that simple, as if you are building a PC to sell and ran it just to install an OS and test it works properly, you could still argue its "new".

In my book it's not new. Other people might disagree.

10 minutes ago, nox_ said:

In my book it's not new. Other people might disagree.

They probably will. Would you argue that Dell only sell used machines?

7 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Would you argue that Dell only sell used machines?

Completely different thing.

New: Manufacturer Warranty in sealed box

Open Box: Used

Used: Used

That's what I read when I see those words - and as for used, its kind of like a new car for me - once you drive it off the lot its worth less - it is what it is

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

When I am not the first owner of a product, excluding those owning a product as stock.

So if someone buys new stock, builds a pc, quality tests it to a reasonable level and sells it to me then it is new.

Now the real question is what is reasonable quality testing?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 minutes ago, nox_ said:

Completely different thing.

Not really, they are doing exactly the same thing. Buying components, assembling a machine, testing said machine and then selling it on.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Not really, they are doing exactly the same thing. Buying components, assembling a machine, testing said machine and then selling it on.

So some guy in his basement assembling a pc and you buying it is the same thing as you buying said pc from Dell?

Just now, nox_ said:

So some guy in his basement assembling a pc and you buying it is the same thing as you buying said pc from Dell?

No different to going to a local computer shop and buying one from there. It is impossible to sell a "new" computer if the definition of new means un-used and un-opened components.

53 minutes ago, Slottr said:

A used item is something you're not buying from a retailer, but an individual seller.

This. I could still count "sealed unopened box" as new, provided the buyer will enjoy the exact same warranty as if he had bought it from a retailer ("New: other" in eBay terms).

Then again, as a buyer, I've never considered paying retail price when buying from private sellers, so even though "new in box" could logically be "new" to me, in practice I live by @Slottr's definition.

So, in my case, if you buy new PC parts build a PC, and sell it, my willingness to pay for it will be less than the sum of the prices of the individual components, even less if I'm getting the built PC without the unused accessories for those components, which would mean a negative return to your labor. This is, of course, coming from someone who builds his own PCs and enjoys doing so; you will find pre-built customers who will appreciate the labor cost, and whose alternatives are other marked-up prebuilt alternatives anyways. Hence, there is a market niche for privately built PCs, but I guess not many in this forum would participate in it or be representative of that kind of buyer.

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

No different to going to a local computer shop and buying one from there. It is impossible to sell a "new" computer if the definition of new means un-used and un-opened components.

Not the same thing. But to be completely clear : in the context of what op wrote I consider an item used after it's removed from original packaging.

9 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I guess there could be an amateur-enough shop out there, but normally there is a big difference in that those shops are part of a supply chain with links to wholesale distributors or manufacturers themselves, and have regular channels to process RMAs, warranties, etc.

The importance of that may depend on the country you are in (some force retailers as warranty processors, others lean towards direct manufacturer warranty and support... but in many (most) countries manufacturers don't have an effective presence, and where you buy makes a lot of a difference).

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I guess there could be an amateur-enough shop out there, but normally there is a big difference in that those shops are part of a supply chain with links to wholesale distributors or manufacturers themselves, and have regular channels to process RMAs, warranties, etc.

The importance of that may depend on the country you are in (some force retailers as warranty processors, others lean towards direct manufacturer warranty and support... but in many (most) countries manufacturers don't have an effective presence, and where you buy makes a lot of a difference).

Here in the UK warranties are handled by the retailer. If I was to buy components, build a machine and sell it as new I'd be facing legal action if I sold a faulty machine and didn't honor the statutory warranty. I could obviously sell it as "built with new components but sold as seen", but I'd be loosing out as no-one would buy it for what it's worth.

Going to the store buying the pc parts yourself, if the box is opened then it's consider used

Going to the store and you want someone to build it for you, then it's up you whether you trust that place or not. Do not trust that place, then do it yourself or shop somewhere else. The installer will have to take the parts out of the box in order to install it.

For me, If I were to tell someone to build me a system, I know parts will have to be taken out of their packaging, and if it's used or not, depends on hold old the parts are. Right now I would ask them to build either a Intel 10th gen or AMD Ryzen 3000 based system with the latest parts, then I would consider that to be NEW. Anything before that, then I would in my book consider to be "used" even though, that part might well be new and never opened from their packaging.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list