COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
21 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

I did not misunderstand, the more antibody test are done the more accurate numbers we will have. NYS and other states will most likely open up in sections but there is still a risk from people who will travel to the open sections so extra caution will be needed.

The antibody test false positive rates are still being investigated, although promising seeing so many people test positive (even with the aforementioned false positives, hopefully there is some immunity gained by having been infected once). Hopefully they will make their way to the UK too in some form or another. The swab test was... an experience, to say the least.

1 hour ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

It’s finally happening here in my county. Requirement to wear masks in public on May 1st. Wonder how this will go down because I see some customers who just don’t care about our in-store mask policies.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/county-to-require-mask-wearing-for-all-starting-may-1/2312707/

Face masks are one way (although I question how effective diy masks actually are) - but the general public need to have some firm hygiene lessons too on how not to cross contaminate things. Things seen in the past few days:

• Wearing of disposable gloves in a supermarket. Did not clean the trolley, touched phone, wallet, vape and face (and face mask), and pulled mask down to vape whilst in the queue outside
  • Fiddling with/touching inside & outside of mask, and adjusting face mask, then proceeding to touch goods in a shop
  • Taking disposable gloves off, using phone, then putting them back on (having touched the outside of the gloves in the process).

How do you know that people are actually going to wash the face masks? Are you going to have an influx of people with bacterial/fungal skin infections (or even respiratory at a stretch) in a couple/few months time when their masks are gopping with bacteria and yeasts that have grown in the warmth and damp of breathing activity? At least with disposables, once it's wet it gets binned. Not just stuck on a radiator to dry.

3 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

It’s finally happening here in my county. Requirement to wear masks in public on May 1st. Wonder how this will go down because I see some customers who just don’t care about our in-store mask policies.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/county-to-require-mask-wearing-for-all-starting-may-1/2312707/

I’m reminded of an old one liner by a 70’s comedian who’s name I’m forgetting:

”mind if I smoke?”

”sure.  Mind if I fart?”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeah.....you don't want to try this or get arrested LOL.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

On 4/23/2020 at 8:05 PM, PhantomJaguar77 said:

pirate-rum.gif

Jokes aside, while Germany won't have any issues by then hosting local events, the issue is events with International Draw. Aside from International travel being a question, it'll also be a big part of the revenue for the events. We're going to see events canceled that wouldn't need to be for timing but for economic reasons.

1 hour ago, pinkurpledino said:

The antibody test false positive rates are still being investigated, although promising seeing so many people test positive (even with the aforementioned false positives, hopefully there is some immunity gained by having been infected once). Hopefully they will make their way to the UK too in some form or another. The swab test was... an experience, to say the least.

Face masks are one way (although I question how effective diy masks actually are) - but the general public need to have some firm hygiene lessons too on how not to cross contaminate things. Things seen in the past few days:

• Wearing of disposable gloves in a supermarket. Did not clean the trolley, touched phone, wallet, vape and face (and face mask), and pulled mask down to vape whilst in the queue outside
  • Fiddling with/touching inside & outside of mask, and adjusting face mask, then proceeding to touch goods in a shop
  • Taking disposable gloves off, using phone, then putting them back on (having touched the outside of the gloves in the process).

How do you know that people are actually going to wash the face masks? Are you going to have an influx of people with bacterial/fungal skin infections (or even respiratory at a stretch) in a couple/few months time when their masks are gopping with bacteria and yeasts that have grown in the warmth and damp of breathing activity? At least with disposables, once it's wet it gets binned. Not just stuck on a radiator to dry.

The False Positive/False Negative issues are going to lead to years of post-event lawsuits & contentions, though blood draw-based antibody tests will play out better than the current swab test. Mostly because they'll be able to run a lot more of them, more quickly, when they're trying to do testing. Depending on what they're up to, they might add it to a split off of local Comp Panels for a while (if it's dictated by a government authority) for epidemiological testing purposes. 

The face mask order is a lot like "Social Distancing", it's about 90% about social compliance via extremely obvious shaming means for the normal population. There's a little virus transmission previous utility in there, but it's mostly not about that. One of the issues with Public Health directives in situations like this is that they're targeted to 99% of the population, which means that, as kindly as this can be said, you have to convince dimwitted morons to follow new rules. Directly, that's hard, but everyone but the psychopathic responds to Social Shaming. This is why social distancing is mostly a farce for disease transmission (door handles are the bigger worry, minus being packed shoulder to shoulder in a subway car), but it's a very easy to understand point that allows the Karens of the society to enforce it on pretty much everyone. 

Outside of a medical setting, the face masks are more than likely a minor net-negative to disease transmission, but it'll be a very useful way of enforcing some of the rest of the basics on people. And it let's people feel like they're a part of the "War Effort", along with allowing the Karens to feel incredibly puffed up for the period. This is actually pretty basic War Propaganda on the Homefront approach, if you want to read up on the historical basis of this stuff.

A week back I told a few Karens I got to complain to Newsom of us banning reusable bags in our stores. Guess that was all it took. /s

Retailers in California can once again hand out free single-use plastic bags under an executive order announced on Thursday by Gov. Gavin Newsom, the latest turn away from reusable bags amid the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/california-plastic-bag-ban-coronavirus.html

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Cases of the new coronavirus are overwhelming hospitals, morgues and cemeteries across Brazil as Latin America’s largest nation veers closer to becoming one of the world’s pandemic hot spots. Medical officials in Rio de Janeiro and at least four other major cities have warned that their hospital systems are on the verge of collapse, or already too overwhelmed to take any more patients.

Scientists from the University of Sao Paulo, University of Brasilia and other institutions say the true number of people infected with the virus as of this week is probably as much as 587,000 to 1.1 million people.

In Rio state, all but one of seven public hospitals equipped to treat COVID-19 are full and can only accept new patients once others have either recovered or died, according to the press office of the health secretariat. The sole facility with vacancy is located a two-hour drive from the capital’s center.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/25/brazil-becoming-coronavirus-hot-spot-as-testing-falters.html

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

5 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

A week back I told a few Karens I got to complain to Newsom of us banning reusable bags in our stores. Guess that was all it took. /s

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/california-plastic-bag-ban-coronavirus.html

Know the sad part? The plastic bag bans were always going to lead to completely avoidable deaths, but that should have been from Listeria and a few other bacteria. With COVID19, you can see exactly why grocery stores were all but forced to go to one-time use bags. It's a very useful public health approach and was done for a very good reason. 

Be nice if the morons that pushed these had the introspection to understand how much they screwed up, but good luck thinking that'll happen. Though, hopefully it'll stop the push for such initiatives until some sort of more biodegradable plastics come online. (There's an issue with plastic bags, but that also means there's a technological solution.)

19 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Know the sad part? The plastic bag bans were always going to lead to completely avoidable deaths, but that should have been from Listeria and a few other bacteria. With COVID19, you can see exactly why grocery stores were all but forced to go to one-time use bags. It's a very useful public health approach and was done for a very good reason. 

Be nice if the morons that pushed these had the introspection to understand how much they screwed up, but good luck thinking that'll happen. Though, hopefully it'll stop the push for such initiatives until some sort of more biodegradable plastics come online. (There's an issue with plastic bags, but that also means there's a technological solution.)

Correlation != causation.  That wasn’t why.  Ask any grocer. They all know why.  Logic fail.  Not lack of logic, it’s merely that you missed a spot.  Like Rush Limbaugh claiming covid19 was named covid 19 because there were 19 other viruses of the type (it wasn’t, there weren’t) or those guys who tried to burn down the 5g towers.  All correlation/causation issues

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just ran across this article.  It’s NPR, but they’re reporting on a government modeling thing.  The term being used isn’t “opening“, its “easing”.  A more accurate word I think.

It appears to be later than some hoped.  Not all states are mentioned.  My assumption is that with those it’s later.  Possibly immeasurably later.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/25/844088634/when-is-it-safe-to-ease-social-distancing-heres-what-one-model-says-for-each-sta#table

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Thats my problem with areas pushing for homemade masks to be mandatory.

People are not washing these fabric masks. They are being coughed in, spit in, etc and reused. They dont wash their hands before and after putting them one. And then they go to the store and touch shit that others will touch.

I personally dont wear a mask at all. I know that basic things to do to qvoid coughing on people.

53 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Yeah. Like i said. I know how not to get spit on other people.

Its not like im having conversations with people at the market. Actually i cant remember the last time i had any real interaction with a person in a store. 

I go in, get what i need, self checkout, done.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

Its not like im having conversations with people at the market. Actually i cant remember the last time i had any real interaction with a person in a store.

You don't have to speak to anyone directly, that's the thing. You're fixated with "I know how to do it/not do it", but that doesn't mean others do or will.

People around you will be coughing, people around you will be speaking, people around you will be sneezing. You not doing those things does not make you immune from it.

Precautions are important, you can't bank on everyone around you doing everything in their capacity to stop the spread.

11 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You don't have to speak to anyone directly, that's the thing. You're fixated with "I know how to do it/not do it", but that doesn't mean others do or will.

People around you will be coughing, people around you will be speaking, people around you will be sneezing. You not doing those things does not make you immune from it.

Precautions are important, you can't bank on everyone around you doing everything in their capacity to stop the spread.

Im not worried about myself getting it tbh.  Ive said it multiple times but the chances of me dying in a car wreck on the way to the store is much much more likely then me dying from getting the virus while at the store. That doesnt mean im actively trying to get it. It means im not going crazy with every precaution imaginable. 

I have a half gallon of sanitizer in the car and i dont touch my face without using it. When i go to the store i know exactly what im getting and where its at. Grab it and only it and go straight to self check out and im done.

I take precautions to help prevent me from spreading it though. And i dont need a mask for that.  With the way i do things the most risk im putting out if the air coming out of my nose. And even the article you linked says they dont even know how much a factor that is.

What other people do is on them. I cant make them wash their hands/mask or make them not touch anything they arent going to buy.

I can only speak for my experiences in my area. Even before the virus it wasnt much of an issue going to sams club and people not knowing to cough in their shirt or arm.

If your in an area where you cant go out without being close to alot of people who dont practice manners then you should do what makes you feel safe. 

28 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I thought that too.  I was at a hardware store and wile I was talking I watched a droplet fly out of my mouth and land in front of the store keep.  The man froze like a deer.  I wear a mask to all stores now.  It’s not for me it’s because I don’t want to terrify any more storekeeps.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought that too.  I was at a hardware store and wile I was talking I watched a droplet fly out of my mouth and land in front of the store keep.  The man froze like a deer.  I wear a mask to all stores now.  It’s not for me it’s because I don’t want to terrify any more storekeeps.

I never have to talk to people when i go shopping.

I do curbside pickup every chance i get and i order my food supplies through a distributor most the time. I have to go to sams a few times a week for random things but im really strict on getting in and out with no socializing. Which is about the same as before all this lol.

Im not a window shopper. I hate shopping for the most part.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

I have a half gallon of sanitizer in the car and i dont touch my face without using it. When i go to the store i know exactly what im getting and where its at. Grab it and only it and go straight to self check out and im done.

You still breath. Aerosol transmission is still a possibility.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I take precautions to help prevent me from spreading it though. And i dont need a mask for that.  With the way i do things the most risk im putting out if the air coming out of my nose. And even the article you linked says they dont even know how much a factor that is.

That's the problem, we're still finding out new things about this.

Even if you don't want to wear a mask or whatever, at least have some in your car along with gloves.

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You still breath. Aerosol transmission is still a possibility.

That's the problem, we're still finding out new things about this.

Even if you don't want to wear a mask or whatever, at least have some in your car along with gloves.

Would it be considered acceptable to go full Storm Trooper cosplay?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Probably, yeah ... This was ok (that's at a grocery store near my last home!!) ;

Might be NSFW ... :P

Spoiler

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If it has an air circulation system that has a HEPA filter then sure.

Spoiler

/s maybe.

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Probably, yeah ... This was ok (that's at a grocery store near my last home!!) ;

Might be NSFW ... :P

Spoiler

There was a couple (i think it was a couple) that i saw walking downtown in bdsm suits lol.

Edited by wkdpaul

6 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

There was a couple (i think it was a couple) that i saw walking downtown in bdsm suits lol.

The virus isn't into BDSM, so that's a good tactic. /s

RKI and politicians view this situation through only one scope and that is to prevent anyone from dying. They are not thinking about jobs, or the economy, or even mental health. They’re not thinking about any long term consequences. Which is shortsighted and ignorant. Because many, many more deaths will come from this. Including people who can't get treated for other health problems and illnesses. I also think most people just don’t understand the magnitude of what shutting down the economy like this will do long term. Most people alive- at least in well off western countries - have never truly lived through a Great Depression scenario. It would not just cause a recession or hurt the stock market. Look at the lines you see of food banks, how strained social services are and it’s only been a month or so in most places. And this all against a virus with likely less than 1% fatality rate and where almost all those are older or have other severe health issues. They can spew “but what about grandma” line all they want, but what about the millions of children dealing with the psychological impact of social isolation and those that may go hungry because of the lockdowns.

We have this week's antibody test results from Finland, Denmark, France, New York, China, Italy, Boston, Scotland, Santa Clara, Germany, Netherlands, Los Angeles, Miami, and Switzerland, all pointing in the same direction.

The majority the deaths are elderly people over 80. Is it ethical to sacrifice the education, health and wellbeing of children to save people over 80? Throughout most of human history the answer was always no. It doesn’t even have to be that way. We can devote the vast majority of our screening and testing resources to the elderly and at risk, and let the rest of us fight it off and let it run its course. There is enough data to know who is at risk and we can protect them without ruining everyone else’s life in the process. "B- b- b- b- bUt lOckiNg Up gRaNdMa iS fAScISm!!11!1!1!11!!"

I would also recommend educating people on what flattening the curve actually means, most will say it but have no idea what they are talking about. The main objective was never to make coronavirus go away, it was to put a dent in the rate of infection and ensure hospitals don’t become overloaded. Fortunately in most places this hasn’t happened and the fatality rate is looking much lower than original predictions.

Also it’s not "all or nothing". We can end stay at home orders, reopen businesses with reduced capacity and take other precautions and yes up our testing and monitoring. But the virus will always be around and we cannot feasibly wait what could be years in the current state for a vaccine, otherwise people will be plunged into extreme poverty which will kill a lot of people. Lower income populations would be hurt the most by this.