Motherboard PCIe 'thermal guard' for SSDs - OK to use?

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

thermal guard is a marketing naming of an heatsink. You are more than fine with using whatever your motherboard comes with. Same heatsink also exists on my B450 Aorus M, which never caused me any regret when it came to temperatures.

I'm looking to buy an M.2 drive for my system, and noticed that my motherboard (B550 Aorus Elite V2 [rev. 1.2]) has something that Gigabyte calls a 'thermal guard' installed on its PCie 4 slot.

Given that Gen 4 drives seem to run somewhat hot (even more so depending on the model, from what my research shows), would it be okay to use this thing as a thermal solution, or should I look into a drive with a heatsink instead?

thermal guard is a marketing naming of an heatsink. You are more than fine with using whatever your motherboard comes with. Same heatsink also exists on my B450 Aorus M, which never caused me any regret when it came to temperatures.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Disregard meme tier marketing names for computer parts.

The integrated nvme heatsink is fine, nvme ssds are usually better off with a heatsink or direct airflow, ideally both, but just about any thermal mass will do. Even finless metal slabs will do pretty good, or at least good enough.

“Thermal guard”

not as bad as “gaming certified”

IMG_3265.thumb.png.4ba482c1f0d5d32d23268fd5db61e698.png

or “locked and loaded heat pipe design”

IMG_3266.thumb.jpeg.fb8fa09a29cd0c24e84476da944a6d3d.jpeg

can you imagine some kid (because that’s the target audience for these of course) trying to explain to their mom “mom I need the guntherboard, so my gamer friends will think I’m dark and cool”

”look it even has super hearing, mom”

17 minutes ago, Levent said:

Oh, cool! I assumed it was just their 'gamer marketing' way of saying "yup, there's a heatsink", but still wanted to make sure. Glad to know it'll work fine though. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Even finless metal slabs will do pretty good, or at least good enough.

See, that also threw me off at first. I'm used to heatsinks having fins and whatnot, so seeing a chunk of metal on there kinda made me go "huh".

8 minutes ago, 8tg said:

“locked and loaded heat pipe design”

My favorite part is that, from that image, I can't even tell who made that thing.

I guess it is top secret, as it says on the corner...