Does Microsoft not lock out unactivated Windows 10 any more?

CaptainPlanet

I have been hearing that Microsoft doesn't lock out unactivated installs of Windows 10 like they used with Windows 7 and 8. How true is this claim? Does anyone keep an unactivated install running till this day to prove it? What changed their mind? 

You can keep using it without activating but there are restrictions. If I remember correctly you can't change the background and there will be a watermark at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, there's probably some more that I am forgetting. 

They limit some features/settings like personalization and they keep a watermark on your screen (not sure about other things)

This might answer some questions

There is a watermark on the bottom left of the display at all times, and you cannot access some customization settings (all visual to my knowledge). Otherwise, it'll run just fine.

I've never used an unactivated OS personally though, so keep that in mind.

watermark.png

Pizza is the best food group

You have a watermark and can't change personalization settings.

<removed by staff>

They don't restrict anything else.

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hey there. I'm currently using an unactivated Windows 10 on my PC, been running it for a month or so without any problems. The customization issues can be sort-of bypassed if you customize your personalization settings on another Windows 10 activated system, then log in or sync your Microsoft email account on your non-activated system. Can't do anything about the persistent watermark, though. (At least, I haven't been actively looking for a way to get rid of it.)

I haven't activated Windows 10 because it isn't a priority right now. 🤷‍♂️

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

22 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. I'm currently using an unactivated Windows 10 on my PC, been running it for a month or so without any problems. The customization issues can be sort-of bypassed if you customize your personalization settings on another Windows 10 activated system, then log in or sync your Microsoft email account on your non-activated system. Can't do anything about the persistent watermark, though. (At least, I haven't been actively looking for a way to get rid of it.)

I haven't activated Windows 10 because it isn't a priority right now. 🤷‍♂️

On the older operating systems they lock you out after 6 months. I wonder if they one kept unactivated Win 10 running longer than that.

24 minutes ago, CaptainPlanet said:

On the older operating systems they lock you out after 6 months. I wonder if they one kept unactivated Win 10 running longer than that.

Scratch what I wrote, I leveraged my student privileges and literally just got Windows 10 and MS Office 2019 for nada. 😅

If you're a student or a school faculty member (high school, colleges, and universities), check on OnTheHub to see whether your school has any special discounts/privileges on software for you. I'm guessing all you need is an active school or .edu email, I don't know if the site or if your school checks for active membership. In my case, I graduated two-ish years ago, but my school email is still active, so I could log in with my school credentials and my orders on the site went through.

Education for the win! 😁👍

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

5 minutes ago, CaptainPlanet said:

I have many a win10 vm left unactivated for a few years now, no issue

Also win server still has the 180 day limit, but you can renew it 5 times(i think?)