Students under quarantine on Wuhan mass reviewed & downvoted a homework app to try get it removed from app store.

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

wrong

add to the list: france, italy, angola, portugal, germany, congo

And the UK.#

[edit] Also  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_vacation

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

13 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

And the UK.#

[edit] Also  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_vacation

Same as with France and Germany.  It’s likely a full eu thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The US is just about the only country in the world that has summer vacation.

What ?

No. that's 100% wrong!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

What ?

No. that's 100% wrong!

Has summer vacation only for students.  Other countries will do a vacation but it’s for parents too.  This dumping vacationing kids on working parents is something the US does that most other countries that have a summer break do not.  Also I didn’t say the only country.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Has summer vacation only for students.  Other countries will do a vacation but it’s for parents too.

I'm not following? Parents summer school vacation?

I'm officially lost.

I actually use this app for work and education, so I think I've enough experience to comment. I think I've to be clear about this...

The UX and UI are absolute rubbish.

If you're born in the 80s and 90s like me, you'll be quite familiar with the UX design of China's apps. It's like going back to Yahoo GeoCities or the old Friendster days again. Menus are everywhere. Links on pages sometimes don't work, forcing users to find workarounds. Buttons may work or have unexpected functions. Critical functions like block and report might even be missing altogether. Sometimes different links and buttons all lead to the home page or even the same page in a recursive loop. It's a hellhole.

I say again: It is a hellhole.

I fully empathize with the kids and I have no mercy for the developers. If the kids could also massively downvote the Alibaba and AliSupplier app, they'd be doing the world a great service at their young age.

37 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm not following? Parents summer school vacation?

I'm officially lost.

In the US summer vacation for kids does not happen for parents the way it does for most other countries that have summer holidays.  The whole family doesn’t have a holiday. Just the children.  Causes problems for parents.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In the US summer vacation for kids does not happen for parents the way it does for most other countries that have summer holidays.  The whole family doesn’t have a holiday. Just the children.  Causes problems for parents.

Ah! ... But why would you think this is limited to the US?

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

*snip*

Also I didn’t say the only country.

Maybe you didn't word it properly, but that how I read it ;

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The US is just about the only country in the world that has summer vacation.

29 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Ah! ... But why would you think this is limited to the US?

Maybe you didn't word it properly, but that how I read it ;

Yeah.  It was apparently poorly worded.  Tried to fix that.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  It was apparently poorly worded.  Tried to fix that.

Me not being a native English speaker doesn't help either! :P (i often get lost in nuances that are obvious to native speakers).

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure about other countries but my guess is that a lot of countries does it the way Sweden does it.

The students gets a really long vacation during summer (like 10 weeks) while the parents gets around 4 weeks. So the students are off school while the parents are at work for the majority of summer.

So while "the whole family have a holiday" in Sweden, the same "problem" of students being on holiday while the parents work is a "problem" in Sweden too. I don't think it's a problem though but I haven't followed the conversation. Just felt like jumping in to explain how it is in Sweden. Hence why I added quotation marks to "problem".

I would not be surprised if "students have longer summer holidays than parents have break from work" is very common. I mean, doesn't most countries give students like 10 weeks off during summer? I doubt many countries give employees 10+ weeks of paid leave every year.

The UK has never had holidays/vacation for parents in the summer, while the kids have approx 6 weeks. Employers do have to give vacation time for everyone, BUT it has nothing to do with kids vacation times. If you are very lucky you might be able to book time at your employers to spend time with your kids while they are on vacation, BUT it's usually a limited amount of people and for a limited time, because the employers obviously need to keep the business running.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I would not be surprised if "students have longer summer holidays than parents have break from work" is very common. I mean, doesn't most countries give students like 10 weeks off during summer? I doubt many countries give employees 10+ weeks of paid leave every year.

Asian countries have usually shorter breaks, China is around 6 weeks if I remember correctly, similar with Japan.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure about other countries but my guess is that a lot of countries does it the way Sweden does it.

The students gets a really long vacation during summer (like 10 weeks) while the parents gets around 4 weeks. So the students are off school while the parents are at work for the majority of summer.

So while "the whole family have a holiday" in Sweden, the same "problem" of students being on holiday while the parents work is a "problem" in Sweden too. I don't think it's a problem though but I haven't followed the conversation. Just felt like jumping in to explain how it is in Sweden. Hence why I added quotation marks to "problem".

That’s not the way the US does it though.  It’s not a case of longer.  The kids gat a somewhat variable amount.  I had over 8 weeks when I was a kid.  Don’t know how many.  The parents get zero.  I could see Swedish parents having similar issues on the edges though.

15 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

as a college student there are so many bad websites or apps I'm asked to use.

i needed to use an app that required silverlight in 2016!!!!! like seriously i had to use Internet Explorer or IETab in chrome to use it... 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Is leaving 1-star reviews for homework apps a sort of DDOSing?

no it is real users expressing how they feel.

if you didn't like a change a game made is review bombing it a DDOS no, it just a section of the community reacting to how they feel.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

For those dealing with the summer vacation issue, Wikipedia has this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_vacation

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no it is real users expressing how they feel.

if you didn't like a change a game made is review bombing it a DDOS no, it just a section of the community reacting to how they feel.

but are they reacting to Thea app or reacting to having to do schoolwork?  If it’s an actual app specific issue that’s one thing, but if it’s a “we’re hoping to throw a wrench into the process” that’s a different thing.

To be fair, their parents and, if at University, themselves pay for tuition. They’re the ones losing.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair, their parents and, if at University, themselves pay for tuition. They’re the ones losing.

I’d say they’re the ones losing regardless.  Convincing a kid who doesn’t want to do schoolwork of that though is notoriously difficult

100% for it.

It's not the kids' fault that people have created a world around them that doesn't work unless everyone continuously works their a$s off.

Kids often learn more by doing stuff they're not supposed to than the standard curriculum.

Source: Got told off for not doing things as I was told to 20 years ago, been living my life off of it since.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s not the way the US does it though.  It’s not a case of longer.  The kids gat a somewhat variable amount.  I had over 8 weeks when I was a kid.  Don’t know how many.  The parents get zero.  I could see Swedish parents having similar issues on the edges though.

can't speak for the other 4 countries i've mentioned but since i now work in Italy i can confirm that officially, the working class, only gets 1 week of vacation during summer.

You can prolong it by playing your accumulated vacations day (you get around 16 hours of vacations (essentially 2 days) for every month you work, it varies with the type of contract, for a total of 72 hours per year at the lowest. Where generally the employer can decide where to use half of those hours, which generally falls on the summer week in august and the christmas + new year week)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

100% for it.

It's not the kids' fault that people have created a world around them that doesn't work unless everyone continuously works their a$s off.

Kids often learn more by doing stuff they're not supposed to than the standard curriculum.

Source: Got told off for not doing things as I was told to 20 years ago, been living my life off of it since.

I think that’s how it always worked there wasn’t any creating about it.  I suppose there is a difference.  It’s less life-and-death with the work-your-a$$ off than it used to me. Mostly.  In many places.