Students under quarantine on Wuhan mass reviewed & downvoted a homework app to try get it removed from app store.

You almost did it, You crazy sons of bi***

if-we-work-84879610bf.jpg

TLDR:

Spoiler

Kids in Wuhan China under house quarantine, en-mass reported,down voted & negatively reviewed a homework app (50 mill kids & 600k teachers active users)  & downvoted it with 1 star ratings so bad its overall appstore ratings tanked from a whopping 4.9 to bitter 1.4 star rating just overnight forcing developers to beg for likes & reviews so that it wont be removed.currently it bounced back to 2`ish rating, but this is one unique approach to skip school work. the modern day equivalent of calling in a bomb threat to skip school exam.

Wuhan,China has been the epicenter for the recent Virus outbreak COVID-19 & The region has been on lock-down since the terrifying outbreak , a good majority of people were put under forced quarantine, some videos from the region showing that government forces locking people inside & taking risky people out to be quarantined.Schools are suspended until further notice. With many workplaces also shut.

in a nutshell  , people were enforced under quarantine to isolate & decrease the spread of the virus which meant kids were at home, forced to work & study from home. this meant a hike in online tutoring for kids. one of the apps that has been used by schools towards assigning homework & other work related comms was developed from Alibaba group called the DingTalk, it's a telecommuting application which during Chinese new year became the most downloaded app on China’s app stores & raised in popularity. so people started using it widely for all forms of communication like other SM apps. it's an enterprise collaboration app that lets you have group audio/video/text interaction with a preset contacts. can be used for both personal & professional use.

0507190d-14a7-47a1-bd63-a97887becf30.jpg

teachers were using this app to set kids time assigned homework online so they were working at home even under quarantine. it is reported that an estimate of 50 million students and 600,000 teachers use this app throughout China.

schoolchildren have been taking lessons online since the virus sent the city at the origin of the outbreak into emergency quarantine measures. The children had been carrying on their schooling in virtual classrooms from their homes, using an app called DingTalk.

the app uses clock in & clock out features, which uses time framed access from users like employees or students logging in & logging out for sessions at given hours, being counted as work.  if allowed it uses facial recognition or fingerprint to confirm that a specific person is the one that's using it & the work is not being done by some other, it also is one of the first Chinese apps to have obtained the ISO/IEC 27001:2013 standard. Data are encrypted at SSL/TLS security standards. so a very secure app people trust .

screen-2.jpg?fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

“the little brats worked out that if enough users gave the app a one-star review it would get booted off the App Store. Tens of thousands of reviews flooded in, and DingTalk’s rating plummeted overnight from 4.9 to 1.4.”

So the kids there who already pissed off with the chaos happening in the society thought about getting rid of the homework burden, Collectively the kids in the region came up with an ingenious plan & figured out if the app is downvoted & reviewed negatively in the App store in a massive collective manner , it will be put under suspension or be removed for review. thereby getting rid of the online tutoring for weeks.With viral speed, tens of thousands of schoolchildren reportedly began rating the DingTalk chat app with one-star reviews, knowing enough bad ratings would see it kicked off the App Store. The homework app's rating reportedly plummeted overnight from 4.9-stars to 1.4. but unluckily the app still held on without being removed. but the reviews got so bad developer had to to step in via social media to ask to stop what they were doing.

app post begging for stars.

dingtalk-composite.jpg

The flood of negative reviews got so bad, that the app makers actually turned to social media in China and more or less “begged” for its life: “I’m only five years old myself,” a translation of one such post reads, written as if it was the app itself talking. “Please don’t kill me.”

ios appstore one star reviews.

dingtalk-1-star-reviews.jpg

So what do you think about this? post your thoughts down below. i think it's somewhat brilliant co-ordination to get rid of a common problem.

300px-Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Sol

sources :

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n05/wang-xiuying/the-word-from-wuhan

https://www.bandt.com.au/wuhan-students-figure-out-ingenious-way-to-shut-homework-app/

https://bgr.com/2020/03/07/coronavirus-kids-app-wuhan-quarantine/

https://headtopics.com/uk/ingenious-kids-under-coronavirus-quarantine-manage-to-defeat-homework-11736207

https://fashionmodelsecret.com/world-news/ingenious-kids-under-coronavirus-quarantine-manage-to-defeat-homework/

https://mashable.com/article/wuhan-kids-app-coronavirus/

https://technode.com/2020/03/02/dingtalk-begs-for-stars-on-chinas-app-stores/

Details separate people.

What kind of psychopath even gives a homework app anything other than 1 star.
Probably the same kind that says Studying is their favorite hobby.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

@Tech_Dreamer Yeah who likes studying anyways ?

/s

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

as a college student there are so many bad websites or apps I'm asked to use.

I got 0 issues giving 1 starts.

its kinda a smart way to get it removed.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'm not a fan of homework. If you're stuck home, you're stuck to rest, not study. I approve of nearly taking it down. DEMOCRACY!!!

Also, what kind of authoritarians would assign homework during a f#cking plague! Oh, China... Of course. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

With a quarantine in place for who knows how long and with children missing out on education, I think using an app or other online platform to school students is a good move. You only have 12/13 years to cram Years 1-13/Grades 1-12 into a student so that they're prepared for work/higher education by the time they turn into a young adult.

From the summary above, it seems like the app was pretty well developed (multimedia interactions, facial/fingerprint recognition, data encryption) and met basic regulatory and security standards. So if the app functioned perfectly fine, it all seems a little bit unfair that the app developers were blindsided by a horde of angsty children/pre-teens/teens who didn't want to do their homework. If the students wanted to rebel against their draconian teacher-taskmasters, that's all fine and dandy, but having an app developer being caught in the crossfire seems a little lamentable.

Spoiler

I... happen to have liked studying... Don't lynch me, thanks.

To clarify, the people in my class/grade sucked. But the teachers were mostly good, the education system I grew up in was good, and one of my role-models-mentors-people is a professor/lecturer. So I admit I have a pretty biased, positive outlook on education.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Just now, VegetableStu said:

inb4 their teachers do the same. FOR THEIR GRADES

Doesn't that count as the government limiting freedom of speech? ?

Spoiler

I know it's China. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

not when you give one random student 100/100 with the comment "here's full marks to atone for everything; you've all been difficult, hahahahaahhahahahaa"

I don't know how to feel about that. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

good! confusion tactics!

Hide contents

i'm not making a pun, the other few of you ಠ_ಠ

Missed opportunity... B-. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Probably the same kind that says Studying is their favorite hobby.

Believe me, when you have used terrible homework apps, the good ones deserve the 5 stars, because they don’t randomly lose assignments or crash if you try to submit something too close to a deadline. 
Good homework apps are lifesavers. 

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Believe me, when you have used terrible homework apps, the good ones deserve the 5 stars, because they don’t randomly lose assignments or crash if you try to submit something too close to a deadline. 
Good homework apps are lifesavers. 

If the app crashes, you don't have to do homework. Modern problems require modern solutions.

Just now, FakeCIA said:

If the app crashes, you don't have to do homework. Modern problems require modern solutions.

Unfortunately, in college, if the app crashes, it’s your fault, and you get a zero. 
True innovation. 

1 hour ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Unfortunately, in college, if the app crashes, it’s your fault, and you get a zero. 
True innovation. 

But I went to technical school, not college, where everything was on your own time and there was no homework.

This seems to be divided into pro and anti homework camps.  I will say I attended several different kinds of schools for the children of the parents of wildly varying income levels.  The difference between the bottom and the top schools was simple.  The top school had more directed “extracariculars” including mandatory sports instead of “gym”, and they had more homework.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

But I went to technical school, not college, where everything was on your own time and there was no homework.

Don’t make me regret my life choices even more. 

31 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Missed opportunity... B-. 

- B-

- Asian Country

Well shit, time to get flogged by parents

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm not a fan of homework. If you're stuck home, you're stuck to rest, not study. I approve of nearly taking it down. DEMOCRACY!!!

Also, what kind of authoritarians would assign homework during a f#cking plague! Oh, China... Of course. 

hey, if you prefer for summer vacations to be shorter to recover the lost time due to the plague, that's your choice

Frankly if i was still in school, doing homework and studying at home and still get my 3 months of summer vacation is a sacrifice i'm more than willing to take

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

hey, if you prefer for summer vacations to be shorter to recover the lost time due to the plague, that's your choice

Frankly if i was still in school, doing homework and studying at home and still get my 3 months of summer vacation is a sacrifice i'm more than willing to take

The US is just about the only country in the world that has summer vacation.  It was originally to allow students to be available for farm harvest

EDIT:  this is apparently causing some confusion.  “Summer vacation” For students works differently in the US because it’s ONLY for students.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I would prefer trimester schooling. 3 months in, 1 month out. Having 3 months of vacation basically meant exhausting everything at one time rather than enjoying the seasons. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The US is just about the only country in the world that has summer vacation.  It was originally to allow students to be available for farm harvest

wrong

add to the list: france, italy, angola, portugal, germany, congo

30 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would prefer trimester schooling. 3 months in, 1 month out. Having 3 months of vacation basically meant exhausting everything at one time rather than enjoying the seasons. 

yeeeeaaah.. nope

2 weeks of christmas is more than enough to know that: winter sucks

1 week of easter makes spring definitely better than winter i would love and extra month week there instead of christmas, but still boring and cold period

3 months of summer pretty much the best time of the year

and fall... a 3 day week-end is more than it deserves

and even in your trimester schooling plan, you would still have to either sacrifice weeks out of each vacation to recover the lost time or you are spending 1 of your vacation months in quarantine as of right now

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

it's a home grown app from a company that was created by the Chinese government.

of course it'll get 5-stars.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

wrong

add to the list: france, italy, angola, portugal, germany, congo

yeeeeaaah.. nope

2 weeks of christmas is more than enough to know that: winter sucks

1 week of easter makes spring definitely better than winter i would love and extra month week there instead of christmas, but still boring and cold period

3 months of summer pretty much the best time of the year

and fall... a 3 day week-end is more than it deserves

and even in your trimester schooling plan, you would still have to either sacrifice weeks out of each vacation to recover the lost time or you are spending 1 of your vacation months in quarantine as of right now

So five others out of how many?  With France and Germany it’s not a summer break.  The entire country takes time off.  So not wrong.