PC confessions

mao91

I confess, I'm a USB whore. I've saturated 14 ports and just ordered an add-in card to get 7 more.

I'm also a "______ over Cat6" whore. 

What are your confessions?

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

My confession: I have turned off a lot of my RGB lighting equipment. Or really most LEDs.

Only my keyboard lights are on. GPU, Mobo, mouse and RAM are all turned off. Pls don't prosecute me.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i have all the rgb , but leave all the lights off. like i paid extra for a feature i don't use lmao. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I kid myself i have overclocked my i5 8600 because I tweaked settings in IETU to improve its benchmark scores.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

If i'm not at work i can spend 16 hours a day on mine... :( 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

28 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I only clean inside my PC twice a year.... IM SORRY OK

Wait, we're meant to clean the inside of them?

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

I have disconnected both the power LED and HDD LED because they annoyed me. I have used part of the case of an old PSU to create a fan mount that sits in a stack of 3 5.25" drive cages.

I spent a lot of money on rgb and crap, yet I'm still using an hdd as my boot drive and a 1600x900 monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

My confession: I find anything over 4.9GHz on my 8600K to be a flex more than anything else because there's huge diminishing returns when at those clocks, but I still run 4.9GHz and above anyway because it sounds good.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Only confession I have is that I have a ton of actually hardware just sitting around because I hoard it a bit. I have a couple of systems with 16gb of memory, SSDs, and even somewhat OK graphics cards put together that are not in use. Nothing amazing for cutting-edge games, but still decent.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I confess I have books and books full of old CDs of games I have no interest in ever playing again and probably won’t even run on my machine.  They fill my “shelves” though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, sowon said:

My confession: I find anything over 4.9GHz on my 8600K to be a flex more than anything else because there's huge diminishing returns when at those clocks, but I still run 4.9GHz and above anyway because it sounds good.

Overclocking gives linear results, not diminishing returns.

Whether or not what you're doing on your computer can utilize more CPU headroom is another story.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

Overclocking gives linear results, not diminishing returns.

Whether or not what you're doing on your computer can utilize more CPU headroom is another story.

Not sure I agree with this one.  It depends on how you count things.  It can be diminishing if you count the difficulty of getting to the next clock point.  Heat goes up faster than CPU clock generally, and that heat needs to be gotten rid of, which gets harder and harder and costs more and more.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heat goes up faster than CPU clock generally, and that heat needs to be gotten rid of, which gets harder and harder and costs more and more.

This. The higher I go, the less performance gains I get for something like a 3.6-4.0GHz to a 4.6-5GHz jump, it also does get significantly hotter and that's the part where I feel the higher clocks aren't worth it.

Still feels good to flex those high core clocks though... ;)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

53 minutes ago, sowon said:

This. The higher I go, the less performance gains I get for something like a 3.6-4.0GHz to a 4.6-5GHz jump, it also does get significantly hotter and that's the part where I feel the higher clocks aren't worth it.

Still feels good to flex those high core clocks though... ;)

That's not what he's saying. 3.6-4.0 is the same potential performance increase as 4.6-5.0.

58 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure I agree with this one.  It depends on how you count things.  It can be diminishing if you count the difficulty of getting to the next clock point.  Heat goes up faster than CPU clock generally, and that heat needs to be gotten rid of, which gets harder and harder and costs more and more.

I'm only referring to performance. I think when most people refer to "return" in the word, they're referring to the actual delivered result, not what it took to get there. Though I can see how the context is also important.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I don't have a dust filter on my intake fan. It's like 5 dollars on demcifilter, but I'm too lazy.

More times than naught, I look for components that are pleasing to the eye, if not necessarily practical. For example, I spent $350 on a motherboard because I liked the way it looked. It's got WiFi, Bluetooth, Thunderbolt, dedicated overclocking button, support for an intense water cooling setup and so much more...and I use absolutely none of it.

I install my steam games on HDDs, even though I have plenty of space on my SSDs, I am just too lazy to move them over.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

i bend 2 pin CPU Computer in highschool and not report to the teacher..... ?

I have 17 PCs hidden in various locations around my house and garage that are all rubbish and will never ever be used. Plus probably enough spare parts to build another 10 more if you're not worried about running inside a case.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Buying USED with obnoxiously low offers.

Spoiler

I also turn off RGB

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

When I had my first PC back around 1994ish I wanted to fit a nice graphics card into it so saved all my pocket money for one.. Had no idea how to do anything with computers at the time but thought how hard could it be.

Anyway I took the gigantic old thing out and then tried to fit the new one in and it would not align up with the back of the case.. so took a hack saw to the case to get it to fit only to realise that it actually went into the PCI slot and not the old ISA thing lol :)