PC confessions

mao91

I use raid 0 for the lulz and the hate I get in my company (IT company). I also use negative air-pressure in the case and I find I have had less dust...

Just now, GodSeph said:

I use raid 0 for the lulz and the hate I get in my company (IT company). I also use negative air-pressure in the case and I find I have had less dust...

Can’t speak to the raid stuff.  Others may.

Heavy negative is better than heavy positive mostly because the air tends to move slower.  The advantage of positive is air can be forced through filters and case seams don’t collect dust.  If there’s no filters though there’s no point to positive air.  The most preferred positive air is only very very slightly positive air.  A bare whisker above neutral air.  Only enough to make the case seams not attract dust.  Another option if there are filters, is to use negative air but put an airtight seal anywhere there is no filter.  This forces air through filters using negative air.  It’s complicated to arrange though because of the seals.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, caldrin said:

When I had my first PC back around 1994ish I wanted to fit a nice graphics card into it so saved all my pocket money for one.. Had no idea how to do anything with computers at the time but thought how hard could it be.

Anyway I took the gigantic old thing out and then tried to fit the new one in and it would not align up with the back of the case.. so took a hack saw to the case to get it to fit only to realise that it actually went into the PCI slot and not the old ISA thing lol :)

Ouch

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

That's not what he's saying. 3.6-4.0 is the same potential performance increase as 4.6-5.0.

I feel like I get more gains from 3.6-4.0 as I do if I go 4.6-5.0, especially when heat and power consumption is taken into account.

Is it really just me that feels like there's an optimal point for performance - for me, that's 4.8GHz - and if I go further, it's not worth the cost.

1297735710_bar-graph(1).png.0d4efb48a01440b89f95eb842b3038ba.png

bar-graph.png.c1108e788f1155ad669770b3b0aed54c.png

Is my PC confession a placebo on myself? :D

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

23 minutes ago, sowon said:

I feel like I get more gains from 3.6-4.0 as I do if I go 4.6-5.0, especially when heat and power consumption is taken into account.

Is it really just me that feels like there's an optimal point for performance - for me, that's 4.8GHz - and if I go further, it's not worth the cost.

1297735710_bar-graph(1).png.0d4efb48a01440b89f95eb842b3038ba.png

bar-graph.png.c1108e788f1155ad669770b3b0aed54c.png

Is my PC confession a placebo on myself? :D

Considering your graph claims 5.0ghz @70c I’m leaning towards placebo

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Considering your graph claims 5.0ghz @70c I’m leaning towards placebo

I couldn't tell if that response was sarcastic or a genuine approval of a placebo effect so I ran a Cinebench R20 run at 5GHz on my 8600K. Results pretty much speak for themselves.

1.thumb.PNG.222664f32b10163437f0ba069e607138.PNG

Confession ended up being somewhat of a reminder of what my 8600K is capable of, didn't it?

10 minutes ago, sowon said:

I couldn't tell if that response was sarcastic or a genuine approval of a placebo effect so I ran a Cinebench R20 run at 5GHz on my 8600K. Results pretty much speak for themselves.

1.thumb.PNG.222664f32b10163437f0ba069e607138.PNG

Confession ended up being somewhat of a reminder of what my 8600K is capable of, didn't it?

I was saying I guess that I thought the temperature numbers struck me as low and thought the graph might be an illustration rather than a graph.   Seems it is a graph.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I was saying I guess that I thought the temperature numbers struck me as low and thought the graph might be an illustration rather than a graph.   Seems it is a graph.

I get that a lot. To be fair, I did fabricate the lower-end of the core clock spectrum since I don't ever run 4.6GHz and below, but the above I think stay true to my 'confession', if we can still call it that after my run and past experiences with running those high clocks.

I run HEDT for gaming. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

17 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i mounted noctua fans on a bequiet heatsink

Lol. I call that a win myself.

I replaced a 970 with a 580 simply because I couldn’t get the drivers for the 970 to work. Afaik the 970 card is still functional.  Then of course the AMD drivers crapped out on me too, so im stuck with two cards and no functional 1440p monitor even though the thing still works because I got abandoned.  I don’t know if by microsoft, AMD, Nvidia or some combination.  

I use the stock cooler that came with my CPU. My profile says otherwise but I've been too lazy to install it.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, minibois said:

My confession: I have turned off a lot of my RGB lighting equipment. Or really most LEDs.

Good

because RGB is utterly USELESS

On 2/13/2020 at 9:04 PM, minibois said:

My confession: I have turned off a lot of my RGB lighting equipment. Or really most LEDs.

Only my keyboard lights are on. GPU, Mobo, mouse and RAM are all turned off. Pls don't prosecute me.

I didn't even bother buying anything with RGB... there is some minor illumination on my motherboard (turned off) and there's a logo on my AIO pump which is set to change colour with temps only.

Aside from that, my keyboard and moused are a mix of red/blue... the KB is all red aside from WASD keys and the very top row, ESC through Pause Break as well as the logo and lighting/lock buttons. My mouse is also red whilst the DPI lights are blue.

That's it... I refused to buy the AIO with RGB and I purchased non RGB Corsair ML fans.... Don't like it, don;t want it... not paying extra for crap I'll only turn off.

I just wish they'd offer one with and one without for those of us who don't like it and would rather save some money.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

13 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I didn't even bother buying anything with RGB... there is some minor illumination on my motherboard (turned off) and there's a logo on my AIO pump which is set to change colour with temps only.

Aside from that, my keyboard and moused are a mix of red/blue... the KB is all red aside from WASD keys and the very top row, ESC through Pause Break as well as the logo and lighting/lock buttons. My mouse is also red whilst the DPI lights are blue.

That's it... I refused to buy the AIO with RGB and I purchased non RGB Corsair ML fans.... Don't like it, don;t want it... not paying extra for crap I'll only turn off.

I just wish they'd offer one with and one without for those of us who don't like it and would rather save some money.

I also find lighting at all let alone rgb to be an active detriment.  There is some argument for a lighted keyboard, and possibly a mouse for playing in the dark, but not an RGB one.  I find RGB actively annoying and don’t like it.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There is some argument for a lighted keyboard, and possibly a mouse for playing in the dark, but not an RGB one.

That's exactly my argument, I don't have the lights on in my home office simply because I have three 27" monitors that throw of a lot of light and on the wall behind me is a 3 metre wide 2.4m tall display unit that has led strip lights on them when needed, as well as my plasma ball and my lava lamp... I rarely have the display unit lights on unless I'm on video chat as it does look cool behind me with all my little toys and stuff on display... like my Good/Evil Ash figures, my Crow figure and my deadpool... as well as an R2 unit, a giant lego super star destroyer on top of it and various other little bits and pieces.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, NinJake said:

I only clean inside my PC twice a year.... IM SORRY OK

My old Kraken x60, I never cleaned the radiator. I used that for like 7 years.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Here’s one that no one else can claim: I do not aim for anything aesthetically pleasing with my rig. I built it to be as easily swappable as I could possibly make it. It’s actually worked out okay. My rig is fucking ugly as a result, but whatever.

Also, I have a disc drive for a reason, too: I rip DVDs, CDs and PS2 games. Despite the fact that I can rip Blu-ray discs, I actually haven’t needed to. Hopefully, that’ll change soon.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I once ran a water cooling loop for over 3 years without draining/refilling it then let it sit for a decade with that same water/anti-freeze mix in it. Everything still works just fine!

I build PC's for friends perfectly, everything managed, tied, and tucked like Ru Paul...but my own PC's? Eh if it works it works, it looks like a spider on LSD was popping wires across my case.

I use CCleaner because I'm far too lazy to do things the correct way. 

I'm using a crap £10 advent keyboard because it's white. 

I sell my used parts at what I think I'd like to pay for them, nowhere near what most ask on ebay and marketplace etc. (buyers love it when I have a clear out) 

When I need to print something I move my wireless printer, put it on the floor near my pc (no space on desk) and plug it into front panel usb. I gave up on trying to get it connected to WiFi long ago. 

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I once ran a water cooling loop for over 3 years without draining/refilling it then let it sit for a decade with that same water/anti-freeze mix in it. Everything still works just fine!

I build PC's for friends perfectly, everything managed, tied, and tucked like Ru Paul...but my own PC's? Eh if it works it works, it looks like a spider on LSD was popping wires across my case.

That can happen.  One has to get lucky though.   If the loop happens to be both sterile and non corroding it can run forever.  

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

That can happen.  One has to get lucky though.   If the loop happens to be both sterile and non corroding it can run forever.  

Gold, Aluminum, plastic, and vinyl, filled with distilled water and ethylene glycol anti-freeze at about 15% concentration. I did have some white sediment which stuck to all the surfaces, not sure what that was but it probably came from the anti-freeze solution. It cleaned up with vinegar, hexane, and compressed air when I broke it all down to re-built it to cool an overclocked Xeon just for fun.

i bought all aluminum ekwb components because i'm poor , but still want to be a cool kid with an open loop (also my aio shit the bed and started leaking from the rad so yeaaaa)

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky