Windows 10X - Microsoft New OS - Preview

GoodBytes

Not impressed so far.

Seems like just another attempt from Microsoft to lock down Windows in a long line of failed attempts.

What is this OS for exactly? My guess is that Microsoft's long term plan is to abandon Windows 10. I think they expect that nobody will use a "desktop" version of Windows anymore in let's say 20 years, and since they are scared that people will abandon Windows for Android and iOS they are trying their hardest to replicate that. The problem is that they are only taking the bad parts of Android and iOS (things like being locked down, users having way less control etc).

Tl;Dr but I've been to Santorini once and it's crazy beautiful. They have a beach with black sand which means after 9am you can't walk it without shoes on, lol. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

On 2/12/2020 at 12:41 AM, mr moose said:

Mainly because it means I have an option that isn't google or apple.

Oh yeah but then its still Microsoft, lesser of the devils!

14 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Oh yeah but then its still Microsoft, lesser of the devils!

I don't have a problem with MS. At least not in the same way I have issues with apple or google. Google outright take all your data even when you try to turn it off and apple are doing their best to make repairing their devices a nightmare and thus unnecessarily more expensive.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I don't have a problem with MS. At least not in the same way I have issues with apple or google. Google outright take all your data even when you try to turn it off and apple are doing their best to make repairing their devices a nightmare and thus unnecessarily more expensive.  

Microsoft also takes all your data even when you try to turn it off.

Microsofts products are extremely hard to repair as well. The repair abilityscore for their products range from near impossible, to fairly difficult. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Microsoft also takes all your data even when you try to turn it off.

Microsofts products are extremely hard to repair as well. The repair abilityscore for their products range from near impossible, to fairly difficult. 

Sure they've got a few products that are glued together, but MS haven't gone anywhere near as far as apple have with repair issues.  Apple have been fined for misrepresenting warranty, they have been caught outright lying to customers about whats wrong and needed to be fixed not to mention software updates that brick previously repaired products, having the US customs legally steal products from repair shops and send nasty legal letters to said shops.  NO,  MS are nowhere near the same as apple when it comes to right to repair or anything like it.

And if you think MS take anywhere near the data Google do let alone sell it,  then I don't know what to tell you.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/12/2020 at 8:13 AM, RejZoR said:

like games filled with DRM drivers that will refuse to function with Win10X

Cracked executables.

That's what I used when Windows 10 broke disc based DRM.

There are other, more important problems, like not being able to use 3rd party antivirus and firewall, or data recovery programs.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, mr moose said:

And if you think MS take anywhere near the data Google do let alone sell it,  then I don't know what to tell you.

Google doesnt have direct access to your PC, MS does.......  (Unless you are dumb enough to install chrome.)

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Google doesnt have direct access to your PC, MS does

Google has direct access to your Android phone.

1 minute ago, alextulu said:

Google has direct access to your Android phone.

Nope, LineageOS and i dont have play services on it......

12 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nope, LineageOS and i dont have play services on it......

ah yes, because your personal situation is the same for everyone else on the planet!

lol

Seriously, if you're interested in discussing, please do so, but stop being disingenuous.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

ah yes, because your personal situation is the same for everyone else on the planet!

lol

Seriously, if you're interested in discussing, please do so, but stop being disingenuous.

Maybe my english is lacking but to my best knowledge when someone writes to me "your Android phone" then that person talks about my phone. Besides with a bit of knowledge anyone could do it. They are just lazy AF.

I have a different question, can you use 10X on a domain for managed services & authentication? I could see the benefit for cheap, Surface Go's deployed for working on the go with the added performance benefit!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Google doesnt have direct access to your PC, MS does.......  (Unless you are dumb enough to install chrome.)

Doesn't change what I said, Every company/person that creates an OS or UEFI or anti virus or even VM software has direct access to everything on your device.  MS do not take any where near the data google do and their PP outlines all the data they take. 

2 hours ago, Retrodex Gaming said:

I have a different question, can you use 10X on a domain for managed services & authentication? I could see the benefit for cheap, Surface Go's deployed for working on the go with the added performance benefit!

So far it doesn't seem that there domain joining in the classic sense.

However, you can login with a Work account e-mail (like under Windows 10), and while I have not personally tested it, it seems that it will apply the company policies, like it does under Windows 10.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So far it doesn't seem that there domain joining in the classic sense.

However, you can login with a Work account e-mail (like under Windows 10), and while I have not personally tested it, it seems that it will apply the company policies, like it does under Windows 10.

So Azure ready but no on-site support! (Bit of a personal use case but would be nice!)

I get that they're gonna push their cloud based services harder mind... Absolute cash cow for M$!!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

On 2/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, mr moose said:

MS do not take any where near the data google do and their PP outlines all the data they take. 

1) What metric are you using to determine which company collects the most data? Do you have a source to back your claim that Microsoft collects less than Google?

2) How is Microsoft's privacy policy any different from Google's when it comes to "outlining all the data they take"? They both pretty much just goes "we can collect anything we want and feel like about you" from what I've read.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) What metric are you using to determine which company collects the most data? Do you have a source to back your claim that Microsoft collects less than Google?

2) How is Microsoft's privacy policy any different from Google's when it comes to "outlining all the data they take"? They both pretty much just goes "we can collect anything we want and feel like about you" from what I've read.

MS PP is different from googles in that google have been caught collecting data they indicated they weren't. MS have not. In fact many organizations (including the DPA) have gone through windows and MS's PP and the worst they found was that MS did not adequately inform customers on install of the data they were collecting, not that they collected what they said they weren't.

Now watch this thread become a shit show of accusations and zero evidence.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

MS PP is different from googles in that google have been caught collecting data they indicated they weren't.

Source?

MS have not.

You sure about that?

Microsoft for example were found to inject, undocumented and unannounced, telemetry collection into programs compiled with Visual Studio. It might be possible that their PP include something like "we may collect information we deem important to us" which is kind of a "catch all" term and a rather weak defense if the argument is that "Microsoft are honest about what they collect".

In fact many organizations (including the DPA) have gone through windows and MS's PP and the worst they found was that MS did not adequately inform customers on install of the data they were collecting, not that they collected what they said they weren't.

To me, those are the same things.

Having a ~100 page long privacy policy, spread out over something like 15 different links, using vague and broad terms which can include basically everything, and are written in such advanced English that something like 90% of the US population are unable to understand what is actually says, is not what I would call good.

Microsoft could essentially replace their entire privacy policy with "we can collect any info we want on you, at any time, and for any purpose" and it would serve pretty much the same purpose as it does today, and your defense that "they do technically don't lie and technically outline everything they do collect" would hold equally true.

And I think you misunderstood the dutch investigation and what they found. It wasn't just that "users weren't informed at install". It was that users literally did not have any way of knowing what was actually collected, even if they went and read the privacy policy and other documentation from Microsoft.

It's also important to note that Windows 10 and Microsoft in general has gotten a lot better with privacy, but you can't ignore all the fuck-ups that happened years ago. Things like Microsoft going "oops, we're collecting twice as much data as we actually need". Since the release of Windows 10, Microsoft has updated their privacy policies several times, given users more information, more options to turn things off (remember when turning things off in Windows 10 didn't actually turn them off? Oh wait, that was just over a year ago...), changed what settings do (like make it so that certain GPOs stop working) and so on and so forth.

Even if you were to make the argument that Microsoft today are good when it comes to privacy (which I don't think they are, I would rate them maybe a 3 out of 10 with Google being a 2 out of 10), you can't ignore that they have had to make a lot of improvements over the years to get to this point. Even if you argue that Windows 10 is good today, its track record is horrible.

Now watch this thread become a shit show of accusations and zero evidence.

Don't worry, I have sources and evidence for all my claims.

Your post however seem pretty loaded to the brim with accusations and so far 0 links to back those things up with so it seems like the thread is already heading towards "a shit show of accusations and zero evidence". I'll try to prevent that from happening though by asking for sources whenever you make claims.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What metric are you using to determine which company collects the most data?

Do you use the internet, Google has data on you. Microsoft on the other hand may or may not. Simple exercise, block all Microsoft owned and operated services and browse the internet, you'll be fine. Now block Google, not such a great experience is it?

I don't know why you even tried to argue that point about Google vs Microsoft data collection, I know you know Google is to a far greater degree intertwined with internet access so the only situation Google would be less is if you are not an internet user but have internet (you know so MS can collect the data). Avoiding select Google services may be simple but actually try an absolute zero Google internet experience, and stick with it forever.

It's literally at the point source evidence is not needed, some things are well known logical truths, you know like water being wet.

To use a bad Marvel reference, Google is Thanos i.e. inevitable unless you are a Marvel super hero.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Do you use the internet, Google has data on you.

You can also block google via extensions and i think there is even a specific container for it just like for spybook.....

Just now, jagdtigger said:

You can also block google via extensions and i think there is even a specific container for it just like for spybook.....

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Avoiding select Google services may be simple but actually try an absolute zero Google internet experience, and stick with it forever.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I dont see why it could not be done..... Yeah it would be a bit inconvenient but its not impossible.

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont see why it could not be done..... Yeah it would be a bit inconvenient but its not impossible.

Well it was never a question of if it could be done, and then you have to also avoid indirect Google data collection that you have no ability to see or control but that's honestly a sideline issue. The problem point here was who collects more, which is larger a truck or a train? Both can carry a lot of freight, one is clearly larger.

It's far less inconvenient to avoid Microsoft but doing so for both is much harder than you'd think if you want to keep it up long term. How would you know for example you're emailing a business where the mail is hosted by either Microsoft or Google if they are using a custom domain, unless you knew otherwise or went looking before hand you'd have no way of knowing an email to me goes to Office 365. Are you going to ring every business first before emailing to check where their email is hosted? Hope you didn't lookup their contact details on their website, could be hosted in Azure or Google Cloud, ok so you not only just blocked their services but every IP owned by them, well that sucks can't use that business then but at least you know by the inability to go to their website that you wanted to avoid them anyway, darn it the website was hosted somewhere else.

Maybe I'm just too much of a realist, I cannot take idealism seriously when you have an understanding of the situation. If you can completely avoid Google consistently for even as little as a year while using computers and the internet then you're a super hero and I'll tip my hat to that feat (proving it might be hard).

Edit:

I say this knowing there are people actually doing it.