Windows 10X - Microsoft New OS - Preview

GoodBytes
4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

snip

I'm not interested, it is pretty obvious you don't like the idea that google collects more data and sells it. Wanting to tell everyone how much MS collects in meaningless metrics like pages and metres but refusing to do the same for google only proves that has been your bug from the very start.  Everyone who reads this thread can clearly determine for themselves what I mean, what leadeater means and what the general reality is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'm not interested, it is pretty obvious you don't like the idea that google collects more data and sells it. Wanting to tell everyone how much MS collects in meaningless metrics like pages and metres but refusing to do the same for google only proves that has been your bug from the very start.  Everyone who reads this thread can clearly determine for themselves what I mean, what leadeater means and what the general reality is.

It feels like you're protecting quite heavily right now.

I don't like the idea that Google sells data because it's false (according to their privacy policy). I don't have any problem with the idea that they collect a ton of information about their users though.

Likewise, I don't have any problem with the idea that Microsoft collects a ton of information about their users (way more than I think most people think).

I don't refuse to "do the same for Google". Did you even read my post? I said that I couldn't do the same for Google because they don't even provide that information, and I gave Microsoft credit for providing it (at least for basic telemetry).

Do you honestly not see how shady your arguments are? This is how the conversation has gone:

Someone: "Microsoft don't collect as much information as Google!"

Me: "Are you sure about that? Microsoft collects way more info than people think and I don't think there is much evidence to suggest Google are worse at this point. I also think it highly depends on which services you use and what settings you have"

Someone: "No you're wrong and I am right! Stop trying to defend Google! Google are way worse!"

Me: "Do we know that or is that just an assumption? Microsoft collects way more info than people believe so I don't think the answer is that cut and dry".

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Do you honestly not see how shady your arguments are?

My only argument has been that google collects and sells more data and that everything MS collects is in their PP.

What's shady about that?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

My only argument has been that google collects and sells more data and that everything MS collects is in their PP.

What's shady about that?

And I have asked for evidence that Google collects more data which you have not provided.

I have also said that I think Microsoft's policy is very broad, long, hard to read and spread out over several documents to the point where it is fairly useless because barely anyone actually reads it or understands it.

And I also think that everything Google collects is in their privacy policy (I have at least not found any evidence to the contrary) but that it has the same issues as Microsoft's. So I think "it's in the privacy policy" holds little value because it might technically be correct, but in practice it's a very flawed system and both companies could probably just replace their PP with "we can collect anything and use it for any purpose we want".

• 1 month later...

So I finally took the preview for a spin and this is what I've noticed

• The thing was quite lagging, even with the default settings, and that made the OS almost impossible to use.
  • Edge only opens up on the right screen, no matter which side I launched the app from
  • Cannot open up 2 instances of Edge, 1 on each screen, for browsing 2 sites at the same time
  • Mouse clicks don't respond that well
  • The emulator also captures the host cursor. Need to minimize the preview so it doesn't go haywire.
  • Action Center is difficult to launch
  • Shutdown command in Action Center doesn't really turn off, it just restarts, at least shutting down by pressing the physical button on the side works.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

• The thing was quite lagging, even with the default settings, and that made the OS almost impossible to use.
  • Edge only opens up on the right screen, no matter which side I launched the app from
  • Cannot open up 2 instances of Edge, 1 on each screen, for browsing 2 sites at the same time
  • The emulator also captures the host cursor. Need to minimize the preview so it doesn't go haywire.
  • Shutdown command in Action Center doesn't really turn off, it just restarts, at least shutting down by pressing the physical button on the side works.

What system did you run it on?

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What system did you run it on?

My desktop, it's got plenty of processing power to run it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

People who managed to install it natively on the system, had a super smooth experience. I didn't have the mouse capture problem, unless things changed in the later updates (emulator driver of WIn10X or the emulator itself). I suspect the issue is GPU performance. I don't think the emulator has proper GPU or anything really (like any other MS VM platform, including Hyper-V).

Shutdown problem I had, but I assume it is because it is under a VM, and drivers isn't ready yet.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:04 PM, LAwLz said:

And I have asked for evidence that Google collects more data which you have not provided.

I have also said that I think Microsoft's policy is very broad, long, hard to read and spread out over several documents to the point where it is fairly useless because barely anyone actually reads it or understands it.

And I also think that everything Google collects is in their privacy policy (I have at least not found any evidence to the contrary) but that it has the same issues as Microsoft's. So I think "it's in the privacy policy" holds little value because it might technically be correct, but in practice it's a very flawed system and both companies could probably just replace their PP with "we can collect anything and use it for any purpose we want".

What do we mean by more? More people, or more per individual? It's nuanced. So... :P

15 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

This sounds like a potential driver or emulation issue. I really doubt Microsoft would be dumb enough to launch something brand new in 2020 that didn't run buttery smooth, especially after all of the shit it gave Google for Android and ChromeOS. 

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

People who managed to install it natively on the system, had a super smooth experience. I didn't have the mouse capture problem, unless things changed in the later updates (emulator driver of WIn10X or the emulator itself). I suspect the issue is GPU performance. I don't think the emulator has proper GPU or anything really (like any other MS VM platform, including Hyper-V).

Shutdown problem I had, but I assume it is because it is under a VM, and drivers isn't ready yet.

There are 2 version of the preview. I'm using the latest one. From what I've noticed, the emulator says it uses 4 cores. It could be a glitch with CPU-Z, running it in the Win10x emulator, shows 2 cores and 4 threads.

2 hours ago, descendency said:

This sounds like a potential driver or emulation issue. I really doubt Microsoft would be dumb enough to launch something brand new in 2020 that didn't run buttery smooth, especially after all of the shit it gave Google for Android and ChromeOS. 

Possibly. I'll just delete the emulator and download it again and see how it goes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!