IMHO, "IMHO" is contradictory.

IMHO  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you humbly agree?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, SenKa said:

I thought IMHO was "in my honest opinion" not "in my humble opinion"

I think both are used to express the same thing in the end. However I think too much about the literal meanings behind it and it becomes something bad, so I try not to use it. ?

59 minutes ago, SenKa said:

How is an 18 year old more of a boomer that @LinusTech ...

I'm pretty sure Linus isn't a boomer, he's a millennial. He's brought it up on WAN show a few times.

The unsaid implication is that humility and having an opinion are incompatible.  I am not sure this is true.  Opinions exist regardless. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

part of it I think is how one means it.

Humility vs lack of pride, social vs religious definitions, and other confusions:

some wiki definitions:

pride  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride

humility https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humility

egalitarian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egalitarianism

Both are words with multiple meanings and definitions which have changed over time.

lack of pride fullness is a central tenant of the Amish sect.  They have a lot of opinions about it.  Buttons were once thought to be lacking in humility so they stopped using them.

The quakers has a similar but slightly different view which occasionally got them in weird kinds of trouble.   One of the more famous ones  was a dispensation with formal tense.  The “thee” thing.  Story goes a reason they wound up in America is they pissed off a monarch by not referring to him by title, but instead as “thee”  because he was a child of god just as they were.  No worse, but also by definition no better.  The monarch did not like this because in the monarch’s view there were perhaps only a handful of people in the world who could address him so.  So they got kicked out of the country.  My understanding is it’s a pretty egalitarian religion.

is humble refusing to place oneself above? Or the placement of others above oneself? Or both?  I like both.  I will continue to use the term imho.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I love how @LinusTech actually has the time to reply to this nonsense

?

Not sure how to take that one.   I feel it is good that he can relax for a bit.  I got the impression he was feeling a bit frazzled and worn. 

IMO is better than IMHO, IMO.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

IMO is better than IMHO, IMO.

Stronger, definitely. “better” I’m not so sure.  Might be, but it would be situational.

I feel there is a difference between them.  Imho accepts that the opinion has a limited and quite variable value, where IMO implies the opinioner’s opinion has objective merit regardless of source.  The thing is there are other opinions besides imho and imo.  There is impo for example.  This is one I very rarely if ever use here as my profession such as it is rarely has any bearing on what is discussed in this forum.  I also feel my professional opinion bears very little weight even when it is applied because I am the smallest of the small to the point of insignificance within it. There are professionals here with vast experience that does often bear on stuff here.  Such people in my view are much more able to have an imo than an imho when talking about stuff that bears on their experience.  Impo can be very dangerous thing to render in this society so it is often not used.  As an example:  I am not a politician.  I don’t have an imo about politics.  I’m just some Schmoe who has watched it for a bit.  I might have an imho, but it’s not even really an imo.  I can’t really have an imo about computer stuff either.  It’s not and was never more than an interest for me.  I consider myself one of the least informed on this subject around here.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm pretty sure Linus isn't a boomer, he's a millennial. He's brought it up on WAN show a few times.

ok boomer

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

9 minutes ago, SenKa said:

ok boomer

It is arguable boomer is a state of mind.  I’m technically an exer by a bare few years.

I’ve had people use that phrase on me though and taken it.

I understand the boomer mindset I think.  I’m going to be right glad I’ll be dead before things really fall apart for one thing.   Of course I’ve also got no kids or grandkids to leave in that mess.

That said the Linus persona (cause I don’t actually know the guy nor have spoken to him to my knowledge) is not IMO (hey no imho for this one) as an old person who thinks he has a view of such things, is not that of a boomer.  I’m more of one I think.

That is sort of an example of why IMO kind of sucks.  There needs to be a reason why it’s not an imho.  Gets messy and long.