Dream Computer for My Son

SarahJCA

My son is going to be 18 in June

I want him to pick out parts to build a dream one for himself.  The problem is that he's not understanding that I am willing to invest money in it to last for years so he's being very conservative with his picks, thinking of spending $800 on everything when I am thinking more like $2000.

Times change and, for me, $2000 for a desktop was not unreasonable but he's saying that's WAY too much.... I need guidance for both of us.

He does play games but he's mostly a console gamer... but I know he wouldn't be against a nice gaming system.  He does coding and tablet drawing on his laptop now plus sometimes videos for YouTube.

What country are you in?

And where were you when I was 17? Lord have mercy.

As well what does your son all need? Just the PC itself? Or does he also need monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, etc? If it's of any  concern to you, you can easily build a great PC for under $2,000. But if you really are interested in spending that much you can get a real solid rig for that.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I'll take the $1200 >.>

He's right that $800 is around peak value for money. However, if you need to convince him, buying a more expensive machine will mean that the hardware will stay relevant for longer- if you look at 5+-year-old hardware, an i5 4570 and GTX 760 build would be showing its age now, but a 4790k and 780Ti could still run modern games at near max settings.

I have the opposite problem, I offered my son $200 to upgrade his PC (he already has $250), only proviso was he came to the bank with me and watched his little sister for 15 minutes while I sort out our banking situation and deposit the money into his account.  he said no, it was too much effort.  WTF is wrong with kids these days turning down offers of more money?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Plus from my own experience back in school, people who straight up make a dream pc, compared to upgrading it there from interest and homework are more likely to get more out of it.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Maybe you should let them go with the cheaper option and invest in something else for them? 

If they are into drawing and their current tablet isn't all too good, you could get them a nicer tablet or something. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

47 minutes ago, SarahJCA said:

I am willing to invest money in it

Investing money in hardware is a fools errand. Think of it as paying for premium entertainment. 

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Maybe you should let them go with the cheaper option and invest in something else for them? 

If they are into drawing and their current tablet isn't all too good, you could get them a nicer tablet or something. 

Or a digital tablet, there are some seriously nice ones out there.

When the OP gives a location, the builds will commence!

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Unless you spend a grand on a RTX card for a feature no games use and the remaining on a 9900K and RGB crap there's no way you can spend that much in a machine that's solely for games, 2k+ is already workstation level: Threadrippers, Xeons, 64GB memory, Quadro or multi-GPU configs, etc

It depends on what she all needs. If you need peripherals then you can sauce 2k like it's no tomorrow.  All in all I sauced like $3.5-4k on my setup. And that's not including shit I already owned.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 hours ago, SarahJCA said:

-snip-

This will give him everything he needs, and then some. You could easily put a HDD in for more storage for dirt cheap, and we can easily shuffle some components around if you need peripherals (i.e. cut back on a few things to save money for monitor, etc.)

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

2 minutes ago, Statik said:

This will give him everything he needs, and then some. You could easily put a HDD in for more storage for dirt cheap, and we can easily shuffle some components around if you need peripherals (i.e. cut back on a few things to save money for monitor, etc.)

I would've probably gone with air coolers if were going for longevity. I've owned 2 corsair AIO's and both broke within 1-2 years.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

I would've probably gone with air coolers if were going for longevity. I've owned 2 corsair AIO's and both broke within 1-2 years.

It's possible. I was thinking of something a 17 year old would like, and lots of people have AIOs. I had a Corsair H80i that's been going strong for 7+ years in my old rig.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

8 minutes ago, Statik said:

It's possible. I was thinking of something a 17 year old would like, and lots of people have AIOs. I had a Corsair H80i that's been going strong for 7+ years in my old rig.

I'm a 17 year old ^_^ I like AIO's but after bad experiences with them, the NH-D15/Darkrock pro 4 is more my jam. My AIOs both got dead pumps :(

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

I'm a 17 year old ^_^ I like AIO's but after bad experiences with them, the NH-D15/Darkrock pro 4 is more my jam. My AIOs both got dead pumps :(

Sounds like you got some lemons. I love the silence, cooling capability, and look of AIOs. But to each their own.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

Sounds like you got some lemons. I love the silence, cooling capability, and look of AIOs. But to each their own.

My NH-D14 was running 2 noctua(obviously) fans at 1000rpm and was pretty close to my H100i v2 when I had it. But it was a bitch to install and unless you get a coverplate its gonna look ugly.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

2.5" drives to avoid overheating

if you buy an m.2 heatsink its not much of an issue

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 hours ago, SarahJCA said:

My son is going to be 18 in June

I want him to pick out parts to build a dream one for himself.  The problem is that he's not understanding that I am willing to invest money in it to last for years so he's being very conservative with his picks, thinking of spending $800 on everything when I am thinking more like $2000.

Times change and, for me, $2000 for a desktop was not unreasonable but he's saying that's WAY too much.... I need guidance for both of us.

He does play games but he's mostly a console gamer... but I know he wouldn't be against a nice gaming system.  He does coding and tablet drawing on his laptop now plus sometimes video

A lot of these builds in here are in the right ball park. I think the bigger question is how will your kid use it? Does he have any particular career path he is interested in? 

I ask because at this price point we can build him something that can help him professionally while also giving him his game fix.

Also to the 2080s there is little to no reason to buy it over a 2070s. The fps difference is like 3-8% depending on the game and for 200 more I would just pickup a 3900x which gives him more workstation power or the ability to stream games with cores to spare.

Also if he isn't going to game at high res the 2070s or 5700xt are pretty much overkill as is. Yes, I know in the future it changes, but gpus are meant to be changed every 3-4 years and that cpu will still be very relevant for that. So no point in over spending on a gpu unless he actually needs it for 1440p at 144+ fps or a 4k setup.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

I would recommend against that board, it's pretty dogshit if I understand correctly. As well I would get an NVME + an SSD, since the NVME is cheaper and faster. Or a NVME + HDD Combo. And I would recommend a 5700XT over the VII.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

5 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Nice! What country are you in so that I can help you pick out your parts?

We are in the US

5 hours ago, Statik said:

What country are you in?

And where were you when I was 17? Lord have mercy.

As well what does your son all need? Just the PC itself? Or does he also need monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, etc? If it's of any  concern to you, you can easily build a great PC for under $2,000. But if you really are interested in spending that much you can get a real solid rig for that.

We are in the US.  He needs everything, totally starting from scratch.

5 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

I'll take the $1200 >.>

He's right that $800 is around peak value for money. However, if you need to convince him, buying a more expensive machine will mean that the hardware will stay relevant for longer- if you look at 5+-year-old hardware, an i5 4570 and GTX 760 build would be showing its age now, but a 4790k and 780Ti could still run modern games at near max settings.

I want it to last.  My dad's philosophy was to plan for what you can afford and then one step up so I'm thinking that way.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have the opposite problem, I offered my son $200 to upgrade his PC (he already has $250), only proviso was he came to the bank with me and watched his little sister for 15 minutes while I sort out our banking situation and deposit the money into his account.  he said no, it was too much effort.  WTF is wrong with kids these days turning down offers of more money?

My son has been like that before: if it's too much effort, I'm not interested.