Someone can recognize this AC powerbrik outlet?

omakehell
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
18 minutes ago, omakehell said:

so not nema neither? that makes Caroline's plan to get the conversor awry.

My guess is the plug is rare, non US, and extremely hard to get a converter for.  The size of the thing says there’s some sort of power conversion going on inside it.  The device itself is probably pretty standard though.

IMHO The best thing to do is return it for a refund as the seller was not forthright about the useless power adaptor.  Very shady.  A bad review would be totally appropriate.  This may not be an option though.

If the thing must be used for whatever reason, my move would be to Find out what kind of power the device (not the plug) actually takes, (ac/dc, Voltage, hz, etc..) cut the plug off the cord and throw it away then wire a plug onto it that does have the specs for the machine it powers and convert from that.

So, recently i bought a Samsung monitor, and came with a super weird ac powerbrick.

I've searched around, and i couldn't find anything related to this type of connexion.

At first i tought it was an american or GB type, but the conversor doesent fit...

Someone can enlighten me? i'm super curious!

Thanks!

JPEG_20200106_194527.jpg

25 minutes ago, Zaphryx said:

I'm not sure of the name, but that is a 20 amp outlet, actually a North American one, commonly.

i have never seen anything like this except for on ovens and dryers and some other appliances, but they usually have a ground pin

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

sure it is not the converter basis, so there is a converter in the pack, where you can convert it to other standards?

Male

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

4 hours ago, Zaphryx said:

I'm not sure of the name, but that is a 20 amp outlet, actually a North American one, commonly.

It’s got the bottom pin missing though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Are you assuming its gender? How dare you.

20A, how much power does this monitor use?

Would you accept “presenting as male”?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, omakehell said:

So, recently i bought a Samsung monitor, and came with a super weird ac powerbrick.

I've searched around, and i couldn't find anything related to this type of connexion.

At first i tought it was an american or GB type, but the conversor doesent fit...

Someone can enlighten me? i'm super curious!

Thanks!

JPEG_20200106_194527.jpg

If you bought it this way, check the box, those pins might actually come off and another pin plate might be in the box. Otherwise, I'm going to assume you got it off eBay from a seller in another country and the seller forgot to mention this.

It almost looks like a NEMA 5-20, but the ground pin is wrong, even though it's missing. So something is not correct here.

I have a feeling that the monitor is just an industrial model expected to be used in an environment that has 20a sockets.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

i got it from amazon (spain) and it should come with an standard eur plug, this was the second i bought of the same model, and the first one came perfectly normal, which is weird as hell.

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

@omakehell Can you take a picture of the text on the power brick? Also what's the model of the monitor?

If anything, you can probably contact Samsung and go "wtf" or get a converter plug.

the monitor i bought is this one: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07CTHWKQC

an d a closeup of the description of the plug

20200109_013631.jpg

Either way ... just look at the label and note the voltage and the current (ex 12v 1A) .... go and buy a wallwart with same output voltage and current, and connect the cable from the old adapter to the new one keeping in mind the polarity (a wire will have a mark on it, that would be the negative ... connect negative to negative and positive to positive.

Alternatively, just buy a computer power cable and cut the end that plugs in the power supply. Remove those metal bits if they're removable, crack open the case of the adapter, connect the wires from the power supply cable to the wires that go to those metal bits , use some electrical tape to insulate everything, then put the case back together and wrap in electrical tape.

this is the wording on the carger that came OK ( the first screen i bought)

20200109_014013.jpg

@mariushm i've got an european charger from ebay, kinda sketchy, but it's better than nothing. what bugs me is that there's no info regarding this plug, never saw it, at least not in europe or US (consumer-wise, at least)

@Caroline  I would not  pay 18 euro for a plug.

You can buy a whole adapter for that much.

Here's an example : Long farnell Spain link

An exact link : https://es.farnell.com/xp-power/vec65us19/adaptador-ac-dc-19-v-3-42-a/dp/2524411

image.png.f8eefbb77ffd6cb87d0a087a1752db9c.png

The adapter from Samsung may use a weird plug, these use standard 2.5 ID 5.5 mm OD that's why I said you may have to cut the connector and connect the adapter from the other adapter to it.

As for mains cable hack which would be cheaper, as a mains cable will often be below 10 euro, for example : https://www.amazon.es/Value-Power-Angled-Connector-acoplador/dp/B000KTQI5M/

If the prongs are removable, then most often there's a couple of wires that go to the metal bits to which you connect the removable prongs.  You can simply open the case and cut the wires (or desolder) from those metal bits, and connect the wires to the power cable wires. I would solder them, but twisting the wires and using electrical tape would be safe enough. Normally I would solder  and use heatshrink material over the point where I soldered the wires, for extra insulation.

As the metal bits are no longer connected inside to anything, only the power cable cord comes out the adapter, so it's safe.

He can use electrical tape to keep the case of the adapter closed, as they're usually ultrasonically welded or glued, there's no screwed, so once the case is opened, it's hard to keep close.

Just now, Caroline said:

who buys a plug on amazon though (americans?) it should be cheaper at a real store

Why would a real store in SPAIN stock a non-standard US plug?  Classic US socket / plug, I'd understand ... but 20A version... why would they stock...

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Apparently 5-20C is the female

CE5_RK520C.jpg

And the male euro for the other end

cm06100-01-thumbnail-1080x1080-70.jpg

You plug the brick into the female end, male into a outlet and that's it.

I'm sure it would be way cheaper than getting a whole new brick, not hard to do it btw just be sure to respect polarity

It’s not nema.  The blades are reversed and the missing ground is the wrong shape.  I don’t know what the heck it is but it’s not a US plug

Edited by Bombastinator
Ihateautocorrect

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not nema.  The blades are reversed and the missing ground is the wrong shape.  I don’t know what the heck it is but it’s not a US plug

18 minutes ago, omakehell said:

My guess is the plug is rare, non US, and extremely hard to get a converter for.  The size of the thing says there’s some sort of power conversion going on inside it.  The device itself is probably pretty standard though.

IMHO The best thing to do is return it for a refund as the seller was not forthright about the useless power adaptor.  Very shady.  A bad review would be totally appropriate.  This may not be an option though.

If the thing must be used for whatever reason, my move would be to Find out what kind of power the device (not the plug) actually takes, (ac/dc, Voltage, hz, etc..) cut the plug off the cord and throw it away then wire a plug onto it that does have the specs for the machine it powers and convert from that.

Unless it says anywhere it comes with a weird power adapter on the page you bought it from, then If you bought it from Amazon directly, then contact Amazon and say WTF is the plug that you've sent with this, and to send you the correct power adapter for your country, if you bought it from a marketplace seller on Amazon, then contact them and say WTF is this plug and to send you the correct one.