RAZER: why does nobody else do this?

How come this company can get away with charging their laptops for ridiculous prices, just because they're the only company that's making good looking gaming laptops?

They're not even TRYING to do this. They put no effort in designing their laptops.

They're just black rectangles. And that's exactly why they look good.

What's so hard to replicate about this, and why are other gaming laptop manufacturers blasting us with garbage "gamery" design instead of just presenting us with clean-looking, unicolor rectangles?

MSI makes the same looking laptops though, just not as many different small varieties.

But you could of course also look for laptops that don't specify they're 'gaming grade', but still have the specifications you are looking for (good GPU + all the other stuff you want).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I tend to appreciate underwhelming look on everything. Cars, laptops, computers, phones. Razer does that well with their laptops (rest of their RGB shit is pure eyesore and aimed for kids) and they are charging extra for it because people buy their laptops due to that (and also performance). When you google "gaming laptop" you get shitty designed, obnoxious laptops aimed at 12-17 year olds. Same thing goes for Apple hardware. They all look subtle and perform nicely although they sometimes have design flaws people still wait in lines to pay for those.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Gotta catch the attention of 12 year olds somehow.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

It is their product and they can charge whatever they want? It doesnt mean it will sell or that it will be positively received. Why does Apple charge X when Dell charges Y? This is what they put into the engineering and cost to their laptops and they believe this is the correct amount they need to charge to make their investment back.

3 hours ago, 7412 said:

What's so hard to replicate about this, and why are other gaming laptop manufacturers blasting us with garbage "gamery" design instead of just presenting us with clean-looking, unicolor rectangles?

It's a false positive reinforcement. These companies throw out garbage designs, but since they're basically the only companies that sell gaming grade laptops, people buy them. And to those companies that means their design works.

Plus it's part of a brand identity. If everyone looked the same, they'd have a hard time sticking out.

Razer is apple of the gaming world dude. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I mean I've seen some good MSI laptops out there that have great build quality and look great as well. Asus also has some well built high end laptops. It's not only razer that makes good gaming laptops, there's many other companies that do it if you actually search for it. It's just that you don't see them as often because the main gaming laptops you see advertised when searching for one, are the more value oriented ones that are usually made of plastic. 

Its marketing. There are plenty of options for "gaming" out there, many better, some worse, than Razer. 

Off topic here but....Razer mices (don't last long)....I went thru 2 and RMAed one.  However the Keyboard is still working like a charm.  

As long you don't buy their mice and laptops you should just buy their keyboards and headsets...?

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

16 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Off topic here but....Razer mices (don't last long)....I went thru 2 and RMAed one.  However the Keyboard is still working like a charm.  

As long you don't buy their mice and laptops you should just buy their keyboards and headsets...?

Don't know about that. My Razer mouse is 6 years old now, still working like a charm. My laptop is from last year, and the only thing I'd complain about is the fact that the charger that comes in the box can't handle heavy loads - but no flaw when it comes to the laptop itself anyway. My experience with them is rather positive. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

3 hours ago, minibois said:

MSI makes the same looking laptops though,

Eeeh...MSI laptops feel very cheap looking IMO. 

And they're the biggest offender for the "black and red" gamer theme.

If you feel like you've found a niche that is currently underserved in the laptop gaming space, feel free to capitalize on it by making your own "black rectangle but also powerful enough to just play games real good like while not as expensive as Razer" style line of laptops. No one is stopping you.

Alternatively, seek out a job in the marketing or R&D department for your favourite laptop manufacturer and lobby hard for the basic design.

As to why no one else is doing it: They don't want to or perhaps they don't need to. Large companies are many things, but risk-takers is usually not among those things. Unless someone comes along to tell them that the general public is more likely to notice and buy a featureless black rectangle as opposed to a more custom design that they can actually copyright, and backs that statement up with actual data, it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

They are really like the Apple of gaming hardware, overpriced and definitely not the best for your money. Some companies like Razer like to keep their prices high to make their products seem more premium.

Logitech or Corsair mice feel higher quality IMO, and MSI and Gigabyte do make laptops that don't have the flashy gamer theme.

8 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Don't know about that. My Razer mouse is 6 years old now, still working like a charm. My laptop is from last year, and the only thing I'd complain about is the fact that the charger that comes in the box can't handle heavy loads - but no flaw when it comes to the laptop itself anyway. My experience with them is rather positive. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

I guess you're one of the lucky ones.  My Razer Deathadder 2013 and Razer Deathadder Chroma 2016 both had double click issues.  And I RMAed my Chroma 2016 and now it's just sitting on my desk unused and just for a RGB light show. 

8 minutes ago, 7412 said:

For MSI, it may also just be tied to the fact that their logo is red and white on a black background. I mean, it's literally their house style.

7 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

For MSI, it may also just be tied to the fact that their logo is red and white on a black background. I mean, it's literally their house style.

You could argue Razer's logo is green. Yet, their Stealth lineup has the logo completely mute, and it looks way better like this.

11 hours ago, 7412 said:

why are other gaming laptop manufacturers blasting us with garbage "gamery" design

People will buy them. 

8 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

gaming grade laptops

There's no such thing though... There are machines configured to be suited more towards gaming if that's what you meant. 

8 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

the main gaming laptops you see advertised when searching for one, are the more value oriented ones that are usually made of plastic.

Keep in mind that most people budget 1k or less for a 'gaming laptop' which to me makes sense. I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k on a machine that's one big compromise from the beginning.  

Think about clothing design. The more brash crazy colors there are it tends to be the cheaper option. I believe razer knows not everyone wants just the parts. You can get the same laptop parts for a cheaper price, but in a louder and imo cheaper looking and feeling package. I got the first gen "new blade 15 advanced" i7-8750, gtx1060 on an open box deal at best buy for 1400 a year ago. Its going to last me for 10 years if I want it to. Would I pay full price for any of their laptops? No. I'll always be a generation behind or looking for the closeout deals on computers because I'll never get the a cheaper made or looking alternative. 

Razer has been pretty good about revisions in recent years. Therefore you can still get nearly every bit of performance at a discount. Eventually. Nothing wrong with that when the machines are getting to the point of quality made to last 5-10 years. 

Razer is attractive to 12-14 year olds, they think its the best gaming brand of all time. idk

3 minutes ago, Clearlyyy said:

Razer is attractive to 12-14 year olds, they think its the best gaming brand of all time. idk

I never seen any 12-14 year olds buying Razer Products when I was working in retail LOL.  However I am a big fan of their keyboards.  Not the mice or their laptops.  I did my research when Linus was reviewing the products.   

9 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

You could say they even invented it! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, 7412 said:

How come this company can get away with charging their laptops for ridiculous prices, just because they're the only company that's making good looking gaming laptops?

They're not even TRYING to do this. They put no effort in designing their laptops.

They're just black rectangles. And that's exactly why they look good.

People love the "gamery" look, ive no idea why, i even find the snake logo on the razers a bit much, ive often thought that there text logo is better than the snake one.

Anyway yes i agree, Its like 1 company thought it was what all gamers wanted and everyone else followed suit.

2 minutes ago, Peeps197 said:

People love the "gamery" look, ive no idea why, i even find the snake logo on the razers a bit much, ive often thought that there text logo is better than the snake one.

Anyway yes i agree, Its like 1 company thought it was what all gamers wanted and everyone else followed suit.

This is why I bought my keyboard.  Linus did a good job reviewing this keyboard.  2013~2020 and it's still rocking :?

Gigabyte used to be the OEM for Razers laptops - still seem pretty good - https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop#156-inch,AERO-series

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.