Is an rtx 2070 super enough for 1440p 144hz gaming?

Roee Mashiah

I don't know what to buy, I'm afraid it won't be enough and an rtx 2080 super is just too expensive..

That really depends on what you are going to play and at what settings.

Ultra in the newest AAA games won't happen at 144fps. But on high to medium settings, or 'less pretty' games, it will happen quite easily.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In general i'd say yes, but the performance would depend on the game and the settings, some will be better than others. Also to really say yes or no we would need to see the rest of your systems specs.

Agree with above replies, would also throw in you need a fast enough CPU also.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Roee Mashiah said:

I don't know what to buy, I'm afraid it won't be enough and an rtx 2080 super is just too expensive..

Aren't you confusing fps in games vs hz on the display?

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Aren't you confusing fps in games vs hz on the display?

fps not hz sorry did not relaize that

2 minutes ago, person223 said:

fps not hz sorry did not relaize that

For what purpose do you need (minimum/constant) 144fps in games? I suppose you do mean 144hz as display-frequency.

Just now, Sir0Tek said:

For what purpose do you need (minimum/constant) 144fps in games? I suppose you do mean 144hz as display-frequency.

You would need a rtx 2080 to run AAA games at 1080p and 120 to 130 frames a second

but AA games with a rtx 2080  you could run them at like 200 frames a second

1440p max settings AAA 144hz is impossible

53 minutes ago, person223 said:

You would need a rtx 2080 to run AAA games at 1080p and 120 to 130 frames a second

but AA games with a rtx 2080  you could run them at like 200 frames a second

1440p max settings AAA 144hz is impossible

I did respond to Roee Mashiah initially, then you chimed in that it's fps not hz and now, in the followup you're again confusing hz with fps while completely missing out the question of purpose and whether the initial post (not you) does indeed want 144(+)fps. 

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

I did respond to Roee Mashiah initially, then you chimed in that it's fps not hz and now, in the followup you're again confusing hz with fps while completely missing out the question of purpose and whether the initial post does indeed want 144(+)fps. 

Ok but what i am saying is AAA 144 frames a second at 1440p resoultion is impossible

But rtx 2070 can run esports games at 144 framess a second.

9 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

1440p is a meme real gamers use 1080p

I'm the other way around, I think 1440p is fine, I mean it even looks good on my 1080p monitor (tested it with DSR on not too demanding games) but I think anything above 60FPS is meme / placebo... 

I mean it's fine if you can actually run it but I think a lot of issues people have generally is because they're trying to chase 1440p/144Hz +  when their hardware isn't really capable... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

if you think low frame rates are a acceptable meme then learn to play any musical instrument and realize how easily perceptiple miliseconds are to the average human, until then don't game, cause that is what you are up against.

sorry for being a snob