Can I plug my modem directly into the line that comes from the street?

flipflop2234

Mediacom put down a new "drop" that looks like a big orange cable. They did this because my connection has been bad. They are saying that because my connection is still bad it must be the wiring in my house. I'm skeptical of this so I want to eliminate all outside factors and bypass the wiring to my house and plug my modem directly into the orange line coming from the street. Is this okay/dangerous?

The orange line that comes from the street is likely fiber, so no you can't plug a fiber optic cable directly into a modem. I don't know about Mediacom, but my Verizon fiber connection has to come into an ONT where I believe it is then passed through a media converter from fiber to copper. Then I plug this directly into my WiFi router. That works for me, but your setup might be different, especially if you also get TV or phone through the same provider.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

If your house is older, wiring can definitely be an issue.

It really shouldn't be that hard to fish some new wiring through the wall.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What media type are we talking about? Fiber/Coax/DSL? Ordinarily your modem already sits on the edge of your network both physically and electronically. It would be my expectation that it should behave normally when connected but that all depends on if that line is active and if they've set it up to do anything on their end.

At my house, the orange cables, connect to the black cables, that connect to my modem - with the same connections.  If it were me, and the orange wires that (are supposed to be buried :):):) ) were needed to test this available - heck yes I would.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, flipflop2234 said:

Mediacom put down a new "drop" that looks like a big orange cable. They did this because my connection has been bad. They are saying that because my connection is still bad it must be the wiring in my house. I'm skeptical of this so I want to eliminate all outside factors and bypass the wiring to my house and plug my modem directly into the orange line coming from the street. Is this okay/dangerous?

Judging from what Im reading on their website Id say you have Cable internet, meaning it comes thru Coax. So yes, you can plug direcly in to their cable. You then need to check your modems signal levels and verify if they are good. Some other things you can try is to make sure there is no more than one spliter between that main line and the modem. Each spliter cuases loss and the modem needs the best signal it can get. 

If you end up figuring out its your wiring. It should be simple to just install some new RG6, which is the current standard that we are using. 

3 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

orange line that comes from the street is likely fiber,

Or underground cabling. With the US currently being in WINTER, they cant burry cables now, the ground is too hard (thats what she said). So they will come back and burry it in the spring (Honestly the OP will have to call and bitch and bitch and bitch to get them lazy bastards to come out to burry it). At least thats how it is with all the other providers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Or underground cabling. With the US currently being in WINTER, they cant burry cables now, the ground is too hard (thats what she said). So they will come back and burry it in the spring (Honestly the OP will have to call and bitch and bitch and bitch to get them lazy bastards to come out to burry it). At least thats how it is with all the other providers. 

1. Burying cable 18" down in winter is not only a pain in the ass but digging warms up the dirt and can release moisture so when its compressed back on top of the fiber, the water will freeze again and can crush the fiber or more commonly kink it. Ive seen 144 count fiber crushed from 6" to 1.5". Residential drops dont have conduit.

2. Please stop calling them lazy asses. OSP tend to have 100s of tickets mostly for the other 100,000 people bitching about their service for the dumbest things. Why do people think they are always priority?

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

1. Burying cable 18" down in winter is not only a pain in the ass but digging warms up the dirt and can release moisture so when its compressed back on top of the fiber, the water will freeze again and can crush the fiber or more commonly kink it. Ive seen 144 count fiber crushed from 6" to 1.5". Residential drops dont have conduit.

2. Please stop calling them lazy asses. OSP tend to have 100s of tickets mostly for the other 100,000 people bitching about their service for the dumbest things. Why do people think they are always priority?

Sorry but as a PAYING CUSTOMER you should not have to put up with a damned wire running across the lawn that you legally have to mow. Not sure where you live, but here in my city, if the city has to cut your grass, you will be paying big time. Not to mention if the wire has to cross your neighbors property, bcause I have read about that, and your neighbor might not give two fucks if they cut that cable. Comcast has been know to just forget to burry the cable. As in the customer calls in only to find out the ticket has been closed. So yeah, they a bunch of lazy FUCKS. When I worked at the local BK, I remember about 5 or so years ago, the new tire shop getting internet. Comcast, was suppose to burry the cable, as the demark point was too far from the pole. To this day, the have an organe cable just stung thru the trees and on the lawn. Pure fucking lazyness if you ask me, and that is a business customer, who should have higher priority than a residental user like me. Comcast is not the only company I have heard is useless when it comes to burrying cables. 

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Sorry but as a PAYING CUSTOMER you should not have to put up with a damned wire running across the lawn

I dont care if you are paying customer. If the ground is frozen, its frozen. Period, you wait until fucking spring.

Comcast has been know to just forget to burry the cable.

Because they close the work order. Orders kept open too long just get lost in the way side, especially at the scale of Comcast. They do the drop, tell you they cannot bury it until spring, call back in spring. Or is too much work to remember and call?

Its proven more effective to close orders after a short period of time and open a new one when the time comes again.

So yeah, they a bunch of lazy FUCKS.

Again, you are calling the OSP lazy when they are not the ones controlling their own schedule nor have a say.

Comcast, was suppose to burry the cable, as the demark point was too far from the pole.

There are more reasons than "pure fucking lazyness"

1. Denied bury authorization by a local regulations company
2. Owner did not want to have to pay for the buried cable. Yes, you need to pay to bury cable on YOUR property.

3. Burying would have not been feasible on a viable path, too many roots without tearing out a tree, parking lot would have needed to be torn up from the edge to the building, you know, taking out a drive through for multiple days in a fast food restaurant that relies on it.

Most the time the customer doesnt want to pay for it, I see it time and time again. Please stop with the pure fucking ignorance with no experience in an ISP world, the work order, coordinating with internal staff, coordinating with customers, staying on top of a lazy ass customer who keeps pushing back scheduled digs, keeping on coming work order moving in the mean time. 

You act as if its trivial, be my guest and work for Comcast and show them apparently how its done right. 

20 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

you wait until fucking spring.

You didnt read. They dont even burry them reguardless if its spring or Winter. People have litteraly called in the middle of fucking summer and Comcast can takes months to get it under ground. Doesnt matter if the ground is frozen or not. For the record I never said they had to burry in the Winter. I was just poniting out that you will have to call and call and call and call and call to have them come out in the Spring/Summer/Fall. And probably mutliple times. Then they will send out the guy that doesnt have the right tools because thats happen. 

21 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

o much work to remember and call?

When your paying what we pay, THEY CAN REMEMBER to come and burry the line. As they will keep having to come out and replace the line as it gets damaged. 

23 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

3. Burying would have not been feasible on a viable path, too many roots without tearing out a tree, parking lot would have needed to be torn up from the edge to the building, you know, taking out a drive through for multiple days in a fast food restaurant that relies on it.

You cant leave a cable strung up thru the yard. Its a fucking tripping hazard. Some one trips who gets the blame? The home owner or Comcast. Some one is getting sued. Ive seen cables go across mulitple peoples yards before it hits the owners home. So if the neighbor trips whos at falut. 

For the record I worked in Fast food when the drive thru is down, they have a dining room for a reason. Even checkers has its walk up windows. 

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Owner did not want to have to pay for the buried cable. Yes, you need to pay to bury cable on YOUR property.

Which I imange is what the "Installation Charge" covers. Plus as I understand it, if they do it in the right of way, tehcnically is not YOUR PROPERTY as the utility has the right to use it for their purposes. 

This is why Im thankful we dont have burried utlities were I live. Because id bitching at them every day if we had to get shit burried. The point I was trying to make, You shouldnt have to fucking bitch at these fucks for months to years to get this solved. 

26 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They dont even burry them reguardless if its spring or Winter. People have litteraly called in the middle of fucking summer and Comcast can takes months to get it under ground. Doesnt matter if the ground is frozen or not. For the record I never said they had to burry in the Winter. I was just poniting out that you will have to call and call and call and call and call to have them come out in the Spring/Summer/Fall. And probably mutliple times. Then they will send out the guy that doesnt have the right tools because thats happen. 

By law in the US a local authorization has to be open, marked and approved until any digging can occur or you get a $10,000 fine. You hit a water or electrical line and you are taken to court.

This request is opened and required to be completed in one months time by the following companies in the area

• Electric
  • water
  • sewer
  • Regional ISPs
  • Transport ISPs (dark fiber)

This can easily get 10+ companies  involved for every single bury request. One month is the required finish date but not all companies can complete which on average for us is 1 1/2 months from request for authorization. Combine this with coordinating with the customer and easily can result in 2-2.5 month waiting period. The is the law and how it averages out. 

The are emergency digsafes that can be filed for digging but that requires specific situations.

We have a digsafe request made in August that is still in PENDING. This is due to the Municipality marking partially but requiring to migrate existing conduit to allow for the run. This is out of our control yet construction is still in place and active.

For residential this still applies, those requirements above are still done for you.

THEY CAN REMEMBER to come and burry the line. As they will keep having to come out and replace the line as it gets damaged. 

This week my OSP team has gotten 73 new order. Its fucking Wed and a team of 15. Now take the 100+ orders a week, the 2 month waiting periods and now They are a 1000 orders deep.

Let me reiterate that we are a regional ISP. Regional and just my team out of 10 teams is about 100 orders per week. Scale this to Comcast. 

This is why I said its been proven in this field to open a  new ticket when the time comes around. There is no calendar large enough to hold all the open and stagnant orders. I would love to see you in the dispatch department.

You cant leave a cable strung up thru the yard. Its a fucking tripping hazard. Some one trips who gets the blame? The home owner or Comcast. Some one is getting sued. Ive seen cables go across mulitple peoples yards before it hits the owners home. So if the neighbor trips whos at falut. 

The property owner is liable. Un-buried or aerial cable is required to be flagged, marked or orange sheathing. If its not the ISP is liable. Its pretty cut and dry. 

Which I imange is what the "Installation Charge" covers

If your cable is to be buried its reflected in the installation charge. I guarantee you are pointing at the $100 installation charge that you appear to be enough to bury cable.

This is why Im thankful we dont have burried utlities were I live. Because id bitching at them every day if we had to get shit burried. The point I was trying to make, You shouldnt have to fucking bitch at these fucks for months to years to get this solved. 

The absolute lack of understanding on how involved being an ISP, municipal, Telecom is hilarious with your understanding that is just that easy. Your sense of scale just doesnt exist. 

Please show me any evidence you have on laziness vs actually running a business and following regulations. I cannot say enough how much ignorance is in your post.