Ethernet cable

Jack412

Is the longer the Ethernet the slower the speeds I will get? I was thinking of getting a 100 ft Ethernet cable (cat 6) and feeding it outside along my house to a room but worried I'm losing speeds if I have a long cable. I have internet that usally gets 500 up and down 

It shouldn't have any negative effect at that length. https://itstillworks.com/cat5-cable-length-affect-internet-speed-5183.html

~edit: Here's a better link, it contains a table with various cables, speeds and max. supported lengths: https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/connectivity/ethernet-ieee-802-3/cables-types-pinout-cat-5-5e-6.php

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Cat6 will give you full gigabit up to 328ft. Going beyond that it's not exactly speed you lose but connectivity in general. Packet loss occurs and that could be apparent to the user by a drop in speed. Assuming you still have a connection to the client at all.

Cat5e, will do 1 gbps and 2.5gbps (if the ethernet card supports the newest standards) up to 100 meters. That's 328 ft.

Cat6 can do what cat5e can do, plus it can do 10 gbps up to around 50 meters - I don't remember the exact number, it's in the 45-55 meters area.

Cat6a can do 10 gbps up to 100 meters.

The distance doesn't affect the speed.

Note that there are some cheap ethernet cables called CCA (copper clad aluminum wires instead of full copper wires) which have higher resistance. Some network cards with low power modes enabled by default may have problems using these over long distances (30+ meters) if those power saving features are kept enabled.

18 minutes ago, Jack412 said:

Is the longer the Ethernet the slower the speeds I will get? I was thinking of getting a 100 ft Ethernet cable (cat 6) and feeding it outside along my house to a room but worried I'm losing speeds if I have a long cable. I have internet that usally gets 500 up and down 

I use a 100 foot cable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a run in my home and still get the same speeds as a 3 foot cable the my PC was next to the router.

You can buy an inexpensive 100 foot cable and run it inside the home to test first, for peace of mind.

49 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Cat6 will give you full gigabit up to 328ft. Going beyond that it's not exactly speed you lose but connectivity in general. Packet loss occurs and that could be apparent to the user by a drop in speed. Assuming you still have a connection to the client at all.

Will it take an affect when playing games?

5 hours ago, Jack412 said:

Will it take an affect when playing games?

No. The latency isn't great enough to make a difference in most applications. Regardless of cable length you should have a <1ms ping to your router anyhow.

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

Cat5e, will do 1 gbps and 2.5gbps (if the ethernet card supports the newest standards) up to 100 meters. That's 328 ft.

Cat6 can do what cat5e can do, plus it can do 10 gbps up to around 50 meters - I don't remember the exact number, it's in the 45-55 meters area.

Cat6a can do 10 gbps up to 100 meters.

The distance doesn't affect the speed.

Note that there are some cheap ethernet cables called CCA (copper clad aluminum wires instead of full copper wires) which have higher resistance. Some network cards with low power modes enabled by default may have problems using these over long distances (30+ meters) if those power saving features are kept enabled.

made the mistake myself with the CCA, before I knew much about networking and saw it was so cheap

16 hours ago, Jack412 said:

feeding it outside along my house to a room

Make sure you get UV resistant cable. This will help keep the sun from killing it over time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:53 AM, Donut417 said:

Make sure you get UV resistant cable. This will help keep the sun from killing it over time. 

Totally forgot to think about that before buying https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WD017BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=linus21-20&pldnSite=1

Also can this work out: with the CAT 5 and 6 cables, the outlet are cat 6 plates

Untitdled.png

can this work out: with the CAT 5 and 6 cables, the outlet are cat 6 plates

Untitdled.png

On 12/18/2019 at 9:39 PM, Jack412 said:

can this work out: with the CAT 5 and 6 cables, the outlet are cat 6 plates

Untitdled.png

In this diagram, you have created a CHANNEL.  The maximum inclusive of the patch cables is 328 feet.

Q: Why are you using Cat5e patch cables when the Permanent Link is Cat6?  If you are staying at 1G you will be fine.  It you intend to push 10G across this, it might NOT.  I can tell you a Fluke Certifier would PASS your properly installed Permanent Link but would absolutely fail the channel as a whole.

Yes, it will work out.

However, you will be limited by the lowest grade in the chain.

If you use cat5e and cat6, the whole chain will in theory behave like cat5e, giving you maximum 2.5 gbps or 1 gbps if using conventional ethernet cards.

In practice, if the cat5e cables are very short (1-3m) and the overall distance is less than 40m or so, you'd probably be able to sustain 10gbps with no errors or insignificant amount of errors (which are recovered)

You should get Cat6 / Cat6a patch cables, they're cheap.

You don't necessarily need to buy UV resistance cable, or other fancy cables which may be expensive per meter.

Sometimes it's cheaper to just go to some big store like Home Depot / Praktiker / Ikea / whatever home improvement / construction / you get the idea  store and buy some cheap plastic tubes or cable bed.

Why couldn't you run through the attic? I caught myself reading through the whole forum, but did not see a reason for you not to run through attic or ceiling run?

Listen to the trueCABLE member, he knows his stuff. I believe your diagram is good if the TOTAL length of the cable, patches, and to the equipment is less then 100m. You want some sort of exterior grade cable, sold copper, and I'd just run cat6 all the way, but budget sake, you could run cat5e, but nothing lower than that due to frequency issues, and speeds.

What's funny is, I purchased some powerline adapters from TP link, and I don't know if it was sick joke, but those 1GB speed powerline adapters came with CAT5!!! Not even Cat5e....

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link