Water Cooling is DEAD. Meet the THERMOSIPHON!

AlexTheGreatish
49 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I would really not be concerned about it blowing up under any heat load you could achieve with a computer.  It is possible to blow us a regular heatpipe if you use a torch or something, and you probably could do the dame with the Thmerosiphon - but unless you're putting it in the oven on broil you're probably fine.

I'm not really that worried, but i am interested in the difference of design. You can only blow up a heatpipe by superheating the gas, while a larger system like this when filled more, can reach higher pressure. But it is probably designed around that.

If you do ever test out how much liquid is in and the internal value. let know, then i can calculate what kind of pressures it can get to. probably never because that means you have to break the thing.

It's interesting to see a thermosyphon in computers, where i usually work with them in cryogenic applications.

This is really cool, but made me wonder if there was anything to be gained with this tech in more normal or even relatively small sized coolers, for cases where space is tight, or if they will release a model works for classic 'desktop' case configurations where motherboard lays flat. 

On 12/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

We didn't have a TR AIO in the office.  We had a Enermax one but the pump died.

you could of bought one with like one days shipping

On 12/15/2019 at 5:30 PM, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Yo, what

They paid to use LMG's name and paid them to provide an overview of their prototype so it stands to reason they would include some mention of that on their site. But this overview means very little if the final product doesn't perform any better than its competitors at a similar price point. 

2 hours ago, Founders said:

They paid to use LMG's name and paid them to provide an overview of their prototype so it stands to reason they would include some mention of that on their site. But this overview means very little if the final product doesn't perform any better than its competitors at a similar price point. 

If we were paid to look at this product we would have said so. We have received no money from them whatsoever. 

Please do not spread misinformation. 

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

not that i agree with the lengths Founders went to in that claim, but if someone is doing a product review (especially on youtube) then it's safer to assume that they are being paid for it - we all know that you're supposed to declare it but even now it's questionable as to whether everyone actually does or not especially since some people were caught out. sadly it's all gotta be taken with a few pinches of salt.

nonetheless, it's an interesing product concept but i share the concerns with others on this thread that even when slimmed down from the prototype model that it may be too heavy to install in a system where the motherboard is vertically mounted for fear of actually damaging the board over time

in defense of linus and the guys i haven't seen a video of a review where they didn't mention if they sent them their item or if it was a paid review.

If someone sent them a new GPU that should battle the 2080 and it's made from IBM (don't know why they would make gaming gpu's but let's roll with it) they might not be sponsoring the video but they would still send the card hoping that it is interesting enough for linus and the others to make a video about it and get "free" advertising.

But then they also mention that IBM did send them the card but it wouldn't be a sponsored video since there isn't any contract or any agreement about making a video

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

not that i agree with the lengths Founders went to in that claim, but if someone is doing a product review (especially on youtube) then it's safer to assume that they are being paid for it - we all know that you're supposed to declare it but even now it's questionable as to whether everyone actually does or not especially since some people were caught out. sadly it's all gotta be taken with a few pinches of salt.

No, it isn't. 

If we're paid to make a video, you'll see a disclosure in the first 30 seconds in both text and verbal form. End of story.

Yes, there are folks out there who aren't disclosing, but it doesn't happen here.

2 hours ago, Founders said:

But this overview means very little if the final product doesn't perform any better than its competitors at a similar price point. 

its an overview over a cool prototype product that can improve aircooler design in the future. its not a review, that is more of a thing when you actually have final product in hand. 

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

then it's safer to assume that they are being paid for it

No, it isn't. 

~snip~

Yes, there are folks out there who aren't disclosing, but it doesn't happen here.

but isnt it safer to have a baseline assumption then? if you get the know the channel in more detail sure you can then assume that they will disclose it properly. LMG has been really good on making that clear.

he is talking about channels in general. or at least thats how i understood it. then again im bad at reading. 

7 hours ago, LinusTech said:

No, it isn't. 

If we're paid to make a video, you'll see a disclosure in the first 30 seconds in both text and verbal form. End of story.

That seems perfectly reasonable, I made an assumption and I apologize.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:26 AM, GoldenLag said:

its an overview over a cool prototype product that can improve aircooler design in the future. its not a review, that is more of a thing when you actually have final product in hand. 

but isnt it safer to have a baseline assumption then? if you get the know the channel in more detail sure you can then assume that they will disclose it properly. LMG has been really good on making that clear.

he is talking about channels in general. or at least thats how i understood it. then again im bad at reading. 

Seems like a foolish assumption to make without proof. It's really not that hard to find out if a reviewer is dishonest.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Seems like a foolish assumption to make without proof. It's really not that hard to find out if a reviewer is dishonest.

If you dont know a reviewer. Is it foolish to have a baselines assumption that they may not be disclosing sponsorships? 

Im not talking being paranoid here. 

Even if its not sponsorships, you can just have it in the back of your mind that some people have "fanboy" tendencies towards certain companies.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:57 AM, AlexTheGreatish said:

The startup IceGiant is trying to change the computer cooling landscape – and according to our testing they’re off to a good start.

Pre-Order the ProSiphon Elite: https://www.icegiantcooling.com/

I'd really like to see how this performs in delidded scenario with tight tolerances on the TP solution. Fans make a huge difference on all aio's ie a 115i stock can handle a 9900k at 5.0x8 but it took 4 push pull noctua 3ks to allow it to bench at 5.3x8. I like the idea of this, but all cooling systems limits, and by your own admission this setup is pumping heat into a normally closed space, and when your pushing your system there are other components that this cooling method could be a detriment to. You got a nice pull with your WC is Dead title, but all in all I think this push was a detriment to your site, not the product, just the presentation.

20191114_171037.jpg

On 12/17/2019 at 1:05 AM, redbread123 said:

you could of bought one with like one days shipping

The Enermax one had some problems, check GN's video

8 hours ago, Narmonteam said:

The Enermax one had some problems, check GN's video

then buy an aio with one day shipping smh.

• 2 weeks later...

It is retarded that they aren't using heat pipes and then mounting the massive thing to the case somehow! Come on engineers...

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, VegetableStu said:

THERMOSIPHON

Hope we see a video putting this to the test, Linus!

• 3 months later...

Why there is not info about direct die instalation,what material is used for IceGiant plate?!?Can I use liquid metal on it and install dierect to my i9 9900k without ihs!???

6 hours ago, perkons.perkons said:

Why there is not info about direct die instalation,what material is used for IceGiant plate?!?Can I use liquid metal on it and install dierect to my i9 9900k without ihs!???

For now it is an Aluminum base plate, so LM would destroy it.  No direct die installation because direct die is v hard to do (different heights for each CPU, and if it is a fraction of a mm off the CPU gets ded).

4 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

For now it is an Aluminum base plate, so LM would destroy it.  No direct die installation because direct die is v hard to do (different heights for each CPU, and if it is a fraction of a mm off the CPU gets ded).

Thank you, thats i wana know! :)

• 1 month later...

I have 2 of these fully paid for, Going to be interesting in the fact they only tested with the large IHS chips.

Have a 3900X and 8700K that need some love and can't wait to get rid of my AIO's.  My only worry is future socket support with brackets seeing this is pretty much a "test run".  If they reckon it won't turn a profit and can it I will be heartbroken but at least I will have something to donate to a PC museum lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any realized delivery expectation? I watched the video and read through all the documentation and now I am hooked. But given the general situation if we have some positive confirmation that they are going to deliver it would be great.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, ccl13 said:

Do we have any realized delivery expectation? I watched the video and read through all the documentation and now I am hooked. But given the general situation if we have some positive confirmation that they are going to deliver it would be great.

fUPUFEW.png

6hID6Gu.png

• 4 weeks later...

Email today from IceGiant.

TLDR: ETA was originally September, but is now October/November cuz they goofed on the structural integrity of a component.

The following is the exact email, word for word, picture by picture from Ice Giant:

Spoiler

28b39e_31286965d4e3440b84c2892c6e70de0e~

August 7, 2020 Update:

Bad News, Good News

b49ee3_705ace29f9cb4733803cf482c9a9e430~

We'll cut to the bad news- we hit a road bump, and there will be a delay of at least a month. Best case scenario, we'll ship your unit in October. Worst case, it'll be November. We'll explain exactly what has happened below.

The first 12 Elites arrived in the lab in Austin, Texas on July 29, and we got to work. An issue was immediately discovered. Our manufacturing had also notified us about this issue the day before. As you can see below, after installing the right wing of the mounting bar, it became bent (whereas the left wing did not bend after installation). 

image.jpg

As you can see in the picture below, the culprit was due to the right wing not brazing correctly, i.e., it did not bond to the evaporator surface. 

image.jpg

Out of the 12 units we received, there were only 3 units that had good brazing on both sides of the mounting bar. This was a problem. 

A little bit of background to explain why this issue is coming up now and not when we designed the prototype. The mounting bar was redesigned from the prototype to the Elite. Because the condenser was slimmed down, the refrigerant fill tube location had to be moved from the back to the front; see below.

image.jpg

We didn't encounter the bending issue with the prototype because the mounting bar of the prototype was a simple bar, which had lots of surface area for brazing, as shown below.

image.jpg

The first solution we tried was to increase the loading force of the fixture that holds the unit together during brazing. Had this worked, we would have lost only a week, if that. However, this fix was not reliable. 

Therefore, the delay is because we have to redesign and release a new drawing. Our manufacturer then has to prepare the tooling for the new part, which can take 2-3 weeks, followed by trial runs. Thus, we estimate a month delay. As of now, the part has been redesigned and will be finalized very soon. From there, since this is a new product, our manufacturer will slowly ramp up volume, and then, all pre-orders will be fulfilled. 

This delay is entirely our fault, nothing COVID-related. We sincerely apologize, and we understand that many of you, particularly those that have stuck with us since last December and are the ones waiting the longest for their Elite, will be bitterly disappointed (again). Reach out to us if you have any questions, want to vent, or want to cancel your reservation (we hope you don't though) at info@icegiantcooling.com. We understand, and we'll listen. 

But now for the good news! We've continued on with testing on our TTV setup (thermal test vehicle). A TTV is a controlled thermal test, where cartridge heaters are embedded in a copper plate to mimic the heat from a CPU. In this way, we can easily measure and control the thermal load. Multiple thermocouples are used to test the ambient temperatures (what you see taped to the top of the unit) and the surface temperature of the copper block. We test in both the horizontal position (similar to a test bench) and vertical position (similar orientation to that in a chassis).

image.jpg

The good news is the thermal performance of the Elite is on point, matching that of the prototype. This means the biggest hurdles are behind us. If you ordered a unit, you are guaranteed to receive one, and it will be a high-performance, premium cooler that will last you a very long time. 

Thank you again to all that have ordered! We have had an absolutely amazing response from so many people worldwide. We are currently setting up to work with great partners in Europe, Australia, South Korea, Canada, and Singapore with more hopefully to follow!

Below are the first pics of the newest, coolest cooler on the block!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The last two years to get IceGiant off the ground has been a long journey but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are so close. We're proud of what our small start-up has accomplished and cannot wait to deliver the Elites. They just need to be done right for you.

Stay Cool! Stay Safe!
IceGiant Team

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, vladNMP said:

is this still a thing?

yes, you can buy it, but it is 170

https://www.icegiantcooling.com/product-page/prosiphon-elite-1

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro