PIA Acquisition by Kape Technologies

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

Going to post some snippets from the below source that i posted in a previous thread that makes me very weary about how this is going to turn out

https://restoreprivacy.com/cyberghost/

In 2017 Knapp sold CyberGhost to an Israeli company called Crossrider for €9.2 million.

Crossrider changed its name to “Kape Technologies” in 2018 – for reasons that we’ll explain below.

Now here’s where things get interesting. When you research the company Crossrider (now Kape) you learn it is a company known for infecting devices with malware.

When you research the company Crossrider, you find numerous articles about Crossrider malware and adware, such as this article from Malwarebytes:

Crossrider offers a highly configurable method for its clients to monetize their software. The common method to infect end-users is software bundlers. The installers usually resort to browser hijacking. Targeted browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and sometimes Opera. Crossrider not only targets Windows machines but Macs as well.

PUP.Optional.Crossrider installs are typically triggered by bundlers that offer software you might be interested in and combine them with adware or other monetizing methods.

According to Malwarebytes and many other reputable online security websites, Crossrider was hiding malware in software bundlers, which would then infect the user’s computer with “adware or other monetizing methods”.

While some may dismiss this as old “history”, recent articles from 2018 illustrate how Crossrider malware is still deceiving users and infecting computers with fake Adobe Flash updates:

With such a troubling history, it appears that the parent company attempted to distance itself from its own past. In 2018, Crossrider decided to change its name to Kape Technologies.

As the CEO admitted here, the name change was an attempt to distance Kape from shady “past activities”:

The decision to rename the company, explains Erlichman was due to the strong association to the past activities of the company as well as the need to enhance the consumer facing brand for the business.

CyberGhost even hinted at this ironic conflict of interest in their blog post:

While CyberGhost focused on privacy and security from day one, Crossrider started out as a company that distributed browser extensions and developed ad tech products. Quite the opposite of what we did.

Reading through the Terms and Conditions, I did find this excerpt:

You understand that CyberGhost undertakes no responsibility for your actions. In case of statutory violations by the user, Crossrider may cooperate with public or private authorities at its sole discretion as provided by law.

This is “lawyer speak” for saying that the parent company can and will cooperate with third parties when it deems necessary.

So yeah, Shady as hell parent company, based purely on them now owning PIA, i would not trust PIA to keep your data safe

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

well you either do the research or you pick another vpn

you dont have to explain anything to no one

be interesting to hear about what the problems with tb and nord were.

TunnelBear got bought by McAfee which no one trusts. 

Nord has had countless problems over a small period of time.

Nov 2019

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/nordvpn-users-passwords-exposed-in-mass-credential-stuffing-attacks/

Sept 2018

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/276717-security-holes-discovered-in-two-popular-vpn-services

and there have been others.  

i bet a lot moved over to pia when linus endorsed pia to make more money for his channels

it would be interesting to see how many actually moved over to pia

Damn, and my sticking to ProtonVPN seems to be a smarter and smarter decision.

A great rule to follow; unless it is 100% FOSS, and has been reviewed and audited, you should view advertised services with extreme skepticism.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I am SO glad I paid montly!

I only found out about this because I was looking into why I couldn't access bbc.co.uk with PIA, and was considering quiting over them, allegedly *ding*, giving up on BBC & Netflix access, then I noticed this slow-motion car crash of a fiasco!

I really hope LTT gets on top of this!

PS. Less well known is that PIA also sponsors an alt-right Mastodon fork called Gab, and it's been bugging me that they do...

It gets even worse. The founder of Kape Technologies, Koby Menachemi, is a former member of Unit 8200 (an Israeli Intelligence Corps unit). And Kape's majority shareholder, Teddy Sagi, is among the 50 wealthiest people in Britain.

So we have here...
- A company which became infamous for malware
- A founder from a military secret service
- A financier from the money aristocracy

PIA was one of the best renowned VPN provider, but now it turns into a privacy nightmare. The people to whom we should now entrust our data are actually the very people we use VPN for.

Sources:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/06/09/from-israel-unit-8200-to-ad-men/
https://jewishbusinessnews.com/2019/05/13/sunday-times-israelis-idan-ofer-teddy-sagi-among-britains-50-richest-people/

Started getting shady after they hired Mark Karpeles the ex-CEO of Mt Gox, who was convicted of data manipulation.  This sale to malware pushing assholes is enough to get me to cancel my sub.  Oh well, on to the next vpn for a year or two until they too turn to the darkside.

One of the questions that Linus asked of us, was whether the community is OK with LMG continuing with adds from PIA.

I think that with the way Linus called Intel out on its embargo... he might have answered his own question.

1 hour ago, msknight said:

One of the questions that Linus asked of us, was whether the community is OK with LMG continuing with adds from PIA.

I think that with the way Linus called Intel out on its embargo... he might have answered his own question.

I'm firmly against LTT supporting PIA now. Also, I think they should now do a video detailing the strengths and weaknesses of different VPNs. Plenty of lists I've found have Cyberghost on there, which makes me wary of them as CG is owned by the exact company who is causing the exodus from PIA!

News: *VPN A got caught with security breached*
User: VPN B is the only wae

News: *VPN B got purchased by shady af company*

User: No worries VPN C is the only trustable left

News: *VPN C got caught selling user data*
User: Nvm we still got VPN D
News: *VPN D went to the moon*
User: This time VPN E is my wae or the hi wae
News: *VPN E got hit by 18 wheeler*
User: For sure VPN F is the most reliable and unbreakable

News: *VPN F went F*

shit goes on till you realized you pay to give your personal information to all these companies and they're selling them to shady ads company for more money while the reason you use VPN in the 1st place is to not have your data get leak.  ?‍♂️

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

17 hours ago, Tonks said:

I'm firmly against LTT supporting PIA now. Also, I think they should now do a video detailing the strengths and weaknesses of different VPNs. Plenty of lists I've found have Cyberghost on there, which makes me wary of them as CG is owned by the exact company who is causing the exodus from PIA!

Great idea, I added this to the LTT Video Suggestions thread. It's an important topic to discuss. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

20 hours ago, Cerberus044 said:

Oh well, on to the next vpn for a year or two until they too turn to the darkside.

I've been with the same VPN for almost 7 years now, but it isn't as big as PIA, which probably deters the threat of change of ownership.

Or we could all save ourselves time and jump straight into "Facebook VPN" or "Equifax VPN" and call it a day (I thought of including "Google VPN" too, but then I realized that's called "the Internet").

On 11/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, acbluflame said:

Consider the following options for alternative VPNs: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

A I would not trust a site that recommend a VPN based in Sweden!!  ANY service provider here (In Sweden) must by law keep logs over all their traffic. 

34 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I've been with the same VPN for almost 7 years now, but it isn't as big as PIA, which probably deters the threat of change of ownership.

Or we could all save ourselves time and jump straight into "Facebook VPN" or "Equifax VPN" and call it a day (I thought of including "Google VPN" too, but then I realized that's called "the Internet").

yea but the funny thing is people still use google and other companies selling your info

people know that google and the like do it, but they continue to use those services

On 11/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, Kroon said:

A I would not trust a site that recommend a VPN based in Sweden!!  ANY service provider here (In Sweden) must by law keep logs over all their traffic. 

https://mullvad.net/en/help/swedish-legislation/

Time to back up your armchair legalese.  Which bit of their article is incorrect or missing information?

If you know something, then please help the community and submit it to:  https://github.com/privacytoolsIO/privacytools.io/issues

21 hours ago, acbluflame said:

Time to back up your armchair legalese.  Which bit of their article is incorrect or missing information?

Quite clever of Mullvad not to mention IPRED nor the changes in LEK that was applied the 1 of October 2019 (LEK was mentioned on the Mullvad page).  Noteworthy that even PRIVATE company's can go to court and demand to get customer information, this have happened several times.

You must remember that Sweden are the country that are working a new law that would ban the use of VPN.  If the politicians get their will VPN will be illegal in Sweden July next year.

Once I get home I can dig up proper sources,  tried to do some quick google but only get information in Swedish from pts.se.  PTS (Post- och telestyrelsen) or The Swedish Post and Telecom Authority is the ones that have all the information.

Edit:  Spelling!  And sorry for poor English!

3 hours ago, Kroon said:

Quite clever of Mullvad not to mention IPRED nor the changes in LEK that was applied the 1 of October 2019 (LEK was mentioned on the Mullvad page).  Noteworthy that even PRIVATE company's can go to court and demand to get customer information, this have happened several times.

You must remember that Sweden are the country that are working a new law that would ban the use of VPN.  If the politicians get their will VPN will be illegal in Sweden July next year.

Once I get home I can dig up proper sources,  tried to do some quick google but only get information in Swedish from pts.se.  PTS (Post- och telestyrelsen) or The Swedish Post and Telecom Authority is the ones that have all the information.

Edit:  Spelling!  And sorry for poor English!

I would be highly interested if you are able to find sources. 

The best, recent article related to this that google english returns is: https://www.bahnhof.se/press/press-releases/2019/10/08/bahnhof-avslojar-operatorerna-som-lamnar-ut-dina-uppgifter-till-utpressare-2019

which links to: https://www.regeringen.se/pressmeddelanden/2019/10/nu-trader-de-nya-datalagringsreglerna-i-kraft/

Looking through a google translation, it looks like IPRED still only targets "operators" (I assume this translates as an ISP) which aligns with Mullvad's articles where they "are not regarded as an electronic communications network nor an electronic communications service".  Additionally, it seems that IPRED is only useful if the operator has data stored on their customers.  Mullvad maintains that they store very limited information, so any request or extortion would reveal very little.

As for LEK, I'm sure it's quite a vast and nuanced law covering many aspects, but not sure where to find a good translation for this.  Presuming this is a typical electronic communications law which governs privacy, data retention length, and exceptions (law enforcement)?  There seems to be contention between national law and EU law on data retention, so assuming that this applies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primacy_of_European_Union_law

However, I'm a little concerned of the following from the governing press release:

En annan kraftfull förbättring träder i kraft den 1 april 2020 då operatörerna blir skyldiga att lagra uppgifter som är nödvändiga för att identifiera gärningsmannen oavsett vilken teknik för internetåtkomst som används. På så sätt upphör de identifieringsproblemen som finns i dag om operatören använder sig av så kallad NAT-teknik, där upp till 60 000 användare kan dela på samma ip-adress och som gör det näst intill omöjligt att spåra gärningsmän som begår brott via internet om denna teknik används.

Roughly translated as:

Another powerful improvement comes into force on April 1, 2020, when operators are required to store information necessary to identify the perpetrator regardless of the Internet access technology used. In this way, the identification problems that exist today if the operator uses so-called NAT technology, where up to 60,000 users can share the same IP address and which makes it almost impossible to trace perpetrators who commit crimes via the Internet if this technique is used.

Don't think the translation is nuanced enough to know if this would start to apply to VPN service providers, or to close loop-holes exploited by Swedish ISPs.

Further articles of interest:

https://torrentfreak.com/isp-bahnhof-must-log-subscriber-data-but-copyright-mafia-wont-get-any-191001/

Did I miss a part of the WAN show, I did jump a few bits or did they not talk about PIA or VPN?

51 minutes ago, GazCBG said:

Did I miss a part of the WAN show, I did jump a few bits or did they not talk about PIA or VPN?

they spoke about it last week. they were putting the sponsorship on hold until they can get everything straightened out and are going to give PIA the opportunity to clarify/justify their decision

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

I guess they haven't responded yet then.

Takes a long tome to write a PR response that says "don't worry, we still care about privacy and our customers. We just care about money more and don't give a shit about our reputation"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, YamiYukiSenpai said:

For the time being, I'm gonna trust PIA.  It'd be a bad move on Kape's part if they betray us because PIA has a reputation for being pro-privacy.

And besides, I still got 3 years.

I'm doing the same thing.  If Kape ever decided to turn PIA into a privacy shitshow, that would be the end of PIA and people will flee en-mass.

Doesn't mean I won't change in the future, but for the time being, I'll wait and see.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, Tonks said:

Most of the "best VPN" lists are just fake sites published by the most shady VPN providers

i'm guessing Linus wont address this until scrapyard wars is over as they are sponsoring the show ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Kinda sad to see all this happen. I really liked PIA so far, but I had to make a decision. My subscription was due to renewal tomorrow, so I canceled it. Nothing stops me to renew the sub in the future if this ends well or at least better than we right now expect.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i'm guessing Linus wont address this until scrapyard wars is over as they are sponsoring the show ?

He talked about it on WAN show. Here's the timestamp:

Spoiler

TL;DW: They suspended their deal with PIA but they've given them a chance to respond.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.