This is crazy, 1023 watt laser?

Xeross

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2552589/The-real-life-DEATH-STAR-US-researchers-developing-laser-powerful-Earths-power-stations-combined.html

What?! That's just simply crazy, the amount of power. :o

So researchers around the world are building this, 1023 watt laser. Personally think that this could help change the way we see the universe as well, but who knows what we'll find? This could be revolutionary... What are your thoughts?? 

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

Probably still couldn't power an R9 290X.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Probably still couldn't power an R9 290X.

... We need 3 of them! :D

Just another reason to make more... I love lasers....

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

I'm more interested to see where rail gun technology goes.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

well this is interesting. cant wait to see what new exciting things this helps us find

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I have a 3w Handheld, it can pop balloons, burn paper 50 pages thick, and, you can see the beam

sealed CO2 lasers used to cut metal have up to 3kW...

but not per square cm probably, or the article is wrong and was meant 1023kW, since yeah 1kW is kinda not special

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I have a 3w Handheld, it can pop balloons, burn paper 50 pages thick, and, you can see the beam

Now, times that power by 341.....

but not per square cm probably, or the article is wrong and was meant 1023kW, since yeah 1kW is kinda not special

but why would you need more than a small point? For research this new thing might be nice to have....but if there would be a way to make money with the kind of laser they are building there it would have been done. It's nothing special just a question of who is paying for it.

This could be revolutionary in medicine. Eye surgery for example. Even blind people will be able to see its glare if you point it into their eyes.

but why would you need more than a small point? For research this new thing might be nice to have....but if there would be a way to make money with the kind of laser they are building there it would have been done. It's nothing special just a question of who is paying for it.

why would it only be a viable tech if it made money? not everything has to be about immediate profit all the time... *tries to calm down and not rant about the retarded american way of looking at any new tech* (yes im aware youre german)

i mean this thing could help us get more insight into quantum mechanics, which in turn could lead us to faster development of machines utilising quantum effects

sealed CO2 lasers used to cut metal have up to 3kW...

If I read the article correctly the whole laser produces about 1 petawatt of energy, and the 1023 is just per cm^2.

A square centimetre is a pretty big area but if its used for researching the cosmos it maybe doesn't matter

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If I read the article correctly the whole laser produces about 1 petawatt of energy, and the 1023 is just per cm^2.

A square centimetre is a pretty big area but if its used for researching the cosmos it maybe doesn't matter

Who knows, maybe, if timed correctly, we could get more accurate pictures taken from satellites as the laser passes by planets/stellar objects? 

why would it only be a viable tech if it made money? not everything has to be about immediate profit all the time... *tries to calm down and not rant about the retarded american way of looking at any new tech* (yes im aware youre german)

i mean this thing could help us get more insight into quantum mechanics, which in turn could lead us to faster development of machines utilising quantum effects

Just look at the particle accelerator in Cern, they collected so much data they don't even know how to process all of it. I studied math and physics so i kinda know what they want that laser for, but there are not enough smart people on this planet to work trough all that data :D

I'm more interested to see where rail gun technology goes.

Probably nowear cause needs to much power but it would be freaking awesome :D

I, personally, have no doubt that eventually it will be possible. Hopefully  :P

Just look at the particle accelerator in Cern, they collected so much data they don't even know how to process all of it. I studied math and physics so i kinda know what they want that laser for, but there are not enough smart people on this planet to work trough all that data :D

That's why ik saying longterm... Its only really enough if one person randomly finds a string of data whilst doing a completely different thing, to change the world ^_^

They just completed trials where they successfully fired 8 shells at tactical power levels without the gun self destructing. So they're well on their way :)

I think they're slated for installation in ships by 2020.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

yes but 1000W per cm² vs 3000W per mm² It's really not that powerfull. They are building a very big low power laser, that in turn needs a lot of power because of the frequency they want to use and the really big diameter for a laser...but this article is really missleading.

They just completed trials where they successfully fired 8 shells at tactical power levels without the gun self destructing. So they're well on their way :)

I think they're slated for installation in ships by 2020.

whaaaat Really  :o  :o  :o

So amazing i dint knew anything about that...

yes but 1000W per cm² vs 3000W per mm² It's really not that powerfull. They are building a very big low power laser, that in turn needs a lot of power because of the frequency they want to use and the really big diameter for a laser...but this article is really missleading.

Yes it is in no way comparative cutting lasers, it just seemed to me that people(not you) read that 1kw is the power of the laser. Now that I think about quoting you was not necessary

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

whaaaat Really  :o  :o  :o

So amazing i dint knew anything about that...

There's lots of interesting stuff if you look around.

For example China has ballistic missiles that can strike aircraft carriers docked on the Eastern seaboard of the United States.

Railguns are nuts though.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler