What Would You Buy Used?

jiyeon

Buying Used Products  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would you buy used?

• PC Hardware - CPU, RAM, GPU, Motherboard etc.
    • Laptops
    • Peripherals - Speakers, Headphones, Earphones, Keyboards, Mice, Monitors etc.
    • Mobile Devices - Phones, Tablets etc.
    • Other items not listed above
    • I would not buy used products of any kind.

I would buy anything thats useful to my homelab.

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

Vehicles. Because I like classic vehicles, and there are no brand new classic vehicles. I'm always having fun restoring them..

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

I dont usually buy stuff used, mostly because I choose what product I want first, and then I go look where I can get it. Usually it ends up not being on sale used here when I am buying.

Also, because the sweet 5 year old warranty by law on things that is supposed to last longer time than 2, like most technology, the discount would have to be a bit...

That said, I could possibly get speakers, monitors, and some pc hardware like CPU used, but other things like keyboard, headphones phones, and PSU I would never get used.

I always put anything I don't need anymore up for sale used rather than throwing it away tho, and everyone else should too. Someone will buy it if it works, and the price is low enough.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I'm questioning a lot of things suddenly after seeing all the responses...

I chose that my options were not on the list, because I was under the impression that used either meant "store returned" or "Craigslist", both situations which have been losses for me. Store returned items, or 'open box' don't have a warranty (store states they only have a 3- or 7-day return policy on open box sales), and as I was not the "original" purchaser of whatever hardware, any faults are not covered by manufacturer (was only once, and I can't remember what it was, but it was enough to make an impression, so...). Second-hand software is just too sketchy these days. And if it came on a disc, its usually scratched to hell/unreadable.

The other thing is, I used to know of people who acquire hardware through various possibly-not-legal means and then sell it. So that has colored my view of the second-hand market (on top of people who try to glamorize their whatever as being more rare/unique/valuable and thus being worth 3 times the market value, but I digress) to a fairly strong degree. Also, another group of people do not take very good care of their stuff, and the reason they are selling it is because they have used it up, damaged to a 'barely passably functional' state, and then hope to pawn the issues off onto some unfortunate individual while they get to use that to buy their next whatever that they don't take care of.

But, yes, cars are something I will buy used. Tools, are another. Clothes, I guess? I mean, I've bought clothes from a Goodwill/Savers before...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Anything that isn't a hard drive or powersupply, I'd buy used.

I like brand new stuff, but in a pinch, I have no issues getting a used device like a phone, laptop or whatever else.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've always been skeptical about second hand mobile phones:

• They could have been stolen and sometimes it doesn't work because the IMEI got blacklisted
  • Almost all of them are scratched in some way it costs more to repair than the second hand price itself
  • The battery is always degraded

I am willing to give a try on graphic cards however.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

literally anything if its a good price, but if it's not too much discount off new ill buy new. only thing i wouldn't buy is probably earbuds. but so far all my mice have been used except one, my monitor and everything in my pc is used along with my laptop. I regretted building my first pc with brand new parts as I didn't know any better but even my s8+ was bought used. along with my tripod i have no problem with used stuff, not super picky just trying to save a buck as long as it works. I don't think of the worst case scenario on most things however the only thing im cautionary about buying used is a car. (tell that to me I drive a $1k toyota)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, sowon said:

I recently had a discussion with some friends about what types of used technology we would buy, so it spurred on my curiousity, what kind of technology would you buy used?

For me, I can personally buy the following used:

• PC Hardware - CPU, RAM, Motherboard (as long as it's known working), GPU (as long as it was not a mining card)
  • Speakers
  • Monitors

I'm very picky with what things I would buy and used if they were second-hand. One of the most particular items that I discussed with my friends were in-ears and keyboards, as I would find it disgusting to use those no matter how hard they would be cleaned. For keyboards, I can accept changing the keycap set as vintage keyboards are a hot thing.

So, what would you buy used? I've included a poll but feel free to discuss further outside of the poll. :)

I would buy almost anything used depending on the condition.
If it's covered in scratches or cracks etc. I probably won't go for it unless I can get the glass replaced for cheap.
I have a lot of used stuff:
Phone
Laptop
Laptop's HDD
Laptop's SSD
Desktop's SSD
Desktop's GPU
Desktop's Case
Desktop's PSU
Tablet
Tablet's keyboard
probably more...
I would happily pay just over 1/4 the retail cost for something a year after it's release as long as it's in good condition...

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

I avoid buying used whenever possible.

However, when I do opt to buy used, it's always from someone I know personally and always cheaply. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I would buy just about anything new depending on the price.

The thing you have to take into account is not getting a warranty of any kind. So my rule of thumb is if it's half the price then it's worth buying used because if it breaks, you can just bin it and replace it and you wouldn't be any worse off than if you bought it new (plus you could sell the broken device and recover some money, so still be better off)

It also doesn't help that I also rarely buy anything that's newly released, I prefer to wait until it's been out a while before buying to make sure the bugs are ironed out. With smartphones, I always stay a generation behind, I'm currently on an LG G7, which I bought just after the G8 was released for only £200 brand new on ebay. I only paid around £20 more than if I'd bought a used one. Granted I didn't buy it from a proper shop, but it was still sealed, and half the price of buying it brand new in store!

As for other things in my life, most of those were bought 'used' as well. Most of my furniture was from the Bargain Corner in IKEA, or was bought second hand on Gumtree. Heck I even got a 2 year old £400 dishwasher for free on Freecycle because someone bought a house and was bringing their own dishwasher and just wanted it gone! All I make sure when I buy things is that the previous owners don't have pets (I hate animals I don't see why people want those creatures inside the house with them, they stink, take up room, make a mess everywhere and cost an absolute fortune!).

I don't even mind going to the sketchy parts of town to get a good deal, it could even be stolen for all I care, as long as it can't get traced to me!

Could I afford to buy the things brand new? Yes

Would I rather spend less so I can buy more things? Also yes!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Just now, Bitter said:

Literally anything except underwear or sex toys if the price is right.

Once they're washed they're as good as new!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Sure!

I just bought i7 4790k, i7 7700k and 2x 16GB RAM used as an upgrade. I only have good experiences buying used from ebay.

I would buy anything thing used if it is good working order.  My desktop GPU and Laptop are both used.  I just bought a Switch used for Christmas for my son.  I've sold a CPU and RAM to others, when I upgraded and will be selling a monitor soon.

I'm willing to buy CPUs, Mobos, Ram, and GPU's used. Kinda hard to break a CPU, and those are easy to test if they work or not. Also, if they work fine, they probably will continue to do so (*cough cough HDDs). No Cases, those are too big, shipping makes them too expensive, PSU, maybe, I've found a AX1200i for 50$ used for mining and flipped it. I'd only buy high-end units. and HDDs, no way I'm getting one second hand. I like my data, and don't like rebuilding RAID arrays.

As for other stuff, I buy laptops and phones new, too easy for something inside the phone to be damaged, and cracked screens, and keyboard problems, etc. Also, those tend to be more expensive.

I buy headphones and IEMs used (minimal use on IEMs only, I'm talking 5 hours or something), You can get some pretty good deals. I got my ZS10 Pros for 30$. I also like buying on reddit vs eBay, as it feels safer to me. (Harder to fake an active acc with many comments and posts in legit subreddits)

No experience to buying used keyboards (besides 'gaming' ones), so can't comment on that. (GMK is so expensive, but people make such cool kits...)

Stationary too, you can get some amazing deals 2nd hand. I'm not spending 65$ on a ballpoint, but if its going for 11$....

I use reddit to buy stuff, or eBay sometimes. Reddit is more secure imo, due to the factors I mentioned above. Also, PP G&S only, unless its for small transactions (10$ or less)

Anything depending on the price. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

On 11/5/2019 at 5:58 AM, handymanshandle said:

...almost everything there. I think the only thing I wouldn't buy used would be headphones and mice. Hell, my laptop, monitor and my GPU are used.

but you should never get a used psu because that can spell trouble 

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200

1 hour ago, rmnsachy said:

but you should never get a used psu because that can spell trouble 

I think it depends on the age of the psu. If its 6 or 7 years old ill pass but if it was like 2-3 years old or even current model year I wouldnt advise against it

My first machine in its entirety minus the SSD and the RAM I think was used or a hand-me-down from my best friend. We used to have the agreement that he got my old PC parts when he upgraded mine. Of course now things are different seeing as he works with computers for a living, but that still happens from time to time. I got my GPU, a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB, from r/PcPartSwap for $125.00USD (with shipping I think) it was just a GPU used on a mining rig, but it works fine, I've had no issues with it, it doesn't overheat, it already had the voltage control or whatever you call it done so it didn't mess up. (They fixed the thing that card was known for but I can't remember exactly what it was), My EVGA 850BQ Modular PSU came from my friend's system after he upgraded. I mean it is way more power than I need but it definitely does the job. It came out of my old system, which I had for a couple years and it still works amazing, it's quiet, and works like if I bought it brand new. As long as it is from a trusted reseller, used parts to me are just as good as if I bought it new. 

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower