NVIDIA GeForce 3070/3080/3080 Ti (Ampere): RTX Has No Perf Hit & x80 Ti Card 50% Faster in 4K! (Update 6 ~ Specs / Overview / Details)

1 minute ago, GionnyBanana said:

Damn I hope at least some of these things will be true, I am waiting on building my next PC for this and Zen 3!!

The various stuff is wide ranging.  Everything from an intel like “let’s see how little of an improvement we can make where you’ll still buy stuff.(crude image redacted)” to quite groundbreaking, and pricing has done more or less the same. What the rumors have mostly done for me is convince me that waiting for navi21 may be the correct move

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

The various stuff is wide ranging.  Everything from an intel like “let’s see how little of an improvement we can make where you’ll still buy stuff.(crude image redacted)” to quite groundbreaking, and pricing has done more or less the same. What the rumors have mostly done for me is convince me that waiting for navi21 may be the correct move

Really? I guess everything is coming out at the end of 2020 so we will be able to compare green vs red at that point

6 minutes ago, GionnyBanana said:

Really? I guess everything is coming out at the end of 2020 so we will be able to compare green vs red at that point

I’ll likely be doing some shopping around Black Friday I think.  It dovetails with my current lack of cash (Which could of course get much worse in which case argh) my current rig still works fine though for all it being a budget rig these days rather than a hardcore top line rig like it was long ago.  A lot depends on what gets written by devs game wise.  If I can still get by fine with 4/8 I may continue to simply do so.  I personally don’t think it very likely.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ll likely be doing some shopping around Black Friday I think.  It dovetails with my current lack of cash (Which could of course get much worse in which case argh) my current rig still works fine though for all it being a budget rig these days rather than a hardcore top line rig like it was long ago.  A lot depends on what gets written by devs game wise.  If I can still get by fine with 4/8 I may continue to simply do so.  I personally don’t think it very likely.

I too think that I will get 8/16 more likely than 4/8: I really want to get into VR, I tried beatsaber and superhot at a convention and I loved them. Unfortunately my PC does not even have a video card, so I am looking forward to the end of 2020 to finally build a nice rig.

18 minutes ago, GionnyBanana said:

I too think that I will get 8/16 more likely than 4/8: I really want to get into VR, I tried beatsaber and superhot at a convention and I loved them. Unfortunately my PC does not even have a video card, so I am looking forward to the end of 2020 to finally build a nice rig.

Once upon a time they talked about “vr ready” as a thing.  To my memory the lowest end card that would do it was a 970.  That may have nothing to to with reality though.  It didn’t even then as there was basically nothing be out at the time.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Once upon a time they talked about “vr ready” as a thing.  To my memory the lowest end card that would do it was a 970.  That may have nothing to to with reality though.  It didn’t even then as there was basically nothing be out at the time.

From memory, the 970 was the minimum recommended for the Vive. The Rift had lower requirements (I think 960) as they used more software trickery to get away with lower than ideal hardware. As for how good that experience was at minimum, you can see it in a similar way to regular gaming. With minimum hardware you'll likely be using lower settings. More hardware you throw at it, better experience is possible (to a point). The early "made for VR" stuff wan't very demanding on CPU from what I recall. Regular games that happened to support VR also were probably as demanding as they already were.

I still have a 6700T with 1070 in my VR system today, never felt a need to upgrade it, whereas my regular gaming desktops have more powerful CPUs and GPUs. I probably would be looking at upgrading if I were running anything more strenuous than Beat Saber. Hmm... imagine RT in VR. That might make me think about upgrading! It will take more than 20 series to pull it off well I think, since you do need the higher frame rate in this case.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I ran my Vive off a 970, was fine even though you typically couldn't max out the graphics settings. I've tried running it again recently with the Quest and it was okayish but struggling and stuttering occasionally, guess it's because of the added encoding load. No issues on my 1070 or 2080S.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Take my money. I just got a 1440p monitor and this 5700xt isn't cutting it for me. Ill buy a 3070 at launch

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

43 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Take my money. I just got a 1440p monitor and this 5700xt isn't cutting it for me. Ill buy a 3070 at launch

Interesting.  How so?

On 6/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, Results45 said:

Well you can get used GTX 1060s and RX 580s in decent condition right now on OfferUp, LetGo, and Mercari for as low as $100 ($130 CAD). I wouldn't be surprised if used listings pop up next year consisting of GTX 1660 Supers & RX 5600/5600XTs priced at $100-$125 ($150 CAD) and RTX 2060S/2070Ss & RX 5700/5700XTs at $150-$200 ($250 CAD max).

Of course this is assuming that both RTX and Radeon cards arriving this year will have a 60-70% performance jump no matter the price point.

Oh man, the thought of a RTX 3070 being as powerful as a Titan RTX..............

Even if you do end up only being able to afford a "3050TI" it should be able to match a RTX 2070 Super or 2080.

Shoulda woulda coulda.  We’ll see what happens when it arrives.  Sure Nvidia could do that but will they?

Perfect, the 3080 Ti is just what I need for my PC

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

7 minutes ago, Kinda Bottleneck said:

Perfect, the 3080 Ti is just what I need for my PC

Can they make I go fast?  Sure.  And we’ll soon find out if they will sell it, what they will sell it for, and how fast it actually goes.  I’m suspecting currently based on release date that the price will be very dear, and the speed will be barely enough to make it reasonable to upgrade even though they could have done more in little or no extra cost.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Interesting.  How so?

Framerate isn’t high enough for my liking. Sure I could make due with what I have but I’ve got the money to burn so why not

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Seriously though, I could not be LESS excited for this RTX 3000 series release.

Because this will happen:

- It will be 30% faster than the 2080Ti

- They will sell it for 30% more money than the 2080Ti, and try to convince you it is good value.

We know Nvidia by now. They have NO incentive to create price/performance products, and they don't. AMD needs to step in real soon, because it is getting ridiculous.

Looks just the same as the 2808Ti it's compared to, bit shorter on the bracket side actually.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

17 hours ago, maartendc said:

Seriously though, I could not be LESS excited for this RTX 3000 series release.

Because this will happen:

- It will be 30% faster than the 2080Ti

- They will sell it for 30% more money than the 2080Ti, and try to convince you it is good value.

We know Nvidia by now. They have NO incentive to create price/performance products, and they don't. AMD needs to step in real soon, because it is getting ridiculous.

Well, 30% on top of RTX2080Ti isn't all that bad. What will be bad is the price. There is no way it'll be cheaper than what it's replacing. Because NVIDIA knows they'll sell them regardless of price. As for price/performance, NVIDIA makes them. Just not at the top end. RTX 3060 and RTX 3070 is whee value will be. It has always been this way.

As far as I'm concerned, raw performance isn't really a factor for me anymore, unless it involves RTX part improvement. Because currently, enabling RTX creates significant performance drop. If they can achieve near zero performance drop with RTX, then I'll be impressed. Beyond that, I care more about features. If they could make DLSS work in any game without having it be specifically coded for it or maybe even something as ridiculous as screen space ray tracing similar to RTGI that can work in almost any game and it's possible I'd pull a trigger on a new card. I want features that don't require me to wait 6 months or 1 year to use them. Which was the case of RTX and which is why I kept my GTX 1080Ti. There was no point in upgrading for minimal performance boost and a feature (RTX) that wasn't really used by any game.

At the same time, I'm interested to see what AMD will show with their new RX 6000 series since we know they'll have DXR support in hardware. Just to what extent and at what performance. And if it'll also come with any other game agnostic features.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, 30% on top of RTX2080Ti isn't all that bad. What will be bad is the price. There is no way it'll be cheaper than what it's replacing. Because NVIDIA knows they'll sell them regardless of price. As for price/performance, NVIDIA makes them. Just not at the top end. RTX 3060 and RTX 3070 is whee value will be. It has always been this way.

I'm thinking the RTX30x0 series will be more of another price tier higher up while the 20x0 series will ride along at the current prices points they are now. Meaning, I'm thinking both 20x0 and 30x0 will sell side-by-side for longer than expected. Eventually 20x0 will be phased out and then we'll see the 30x0 drop in price accordingly.

15 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I'm thinking the RTX30x0 series will be more of another price tier higher up while the 20x0 series will ride along at the current prices points they are now. Meaning, I'm thinking both 20x0 and 30x0 will sell side-by-side for longer than expected. Eventually 20x0 will be phased out and then we'll see the 30x0 drop in price accordingly.

The hoped for price drops that would return graphics cards to normality may not happen it is true.  Competitive dualopoly is better than monopoly, but it’s still not true competition.

15 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Depends on AMD's offerings tho. RDNA1 was already really promising, RDNA2 is pretty hyped and seeing how RDNA1 wasn't overinflated and overhyped like a lot of things AMD, it can be interesting if AMD pulls a decent GPU this time around and forces NVIDIA to do something with prices. And just dropping prices of RTX 2000 series won't make me rush for it from current GTX 1080Ti. So, RTX 3000 has to be something as well if they want to sell them.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Depends on AMD's offerings tho. RDNA1 was already really promising, RDNA2 is pretty hyped and seeing how RDNA1 wasn't overinflated and overhyped like a lot of things AMD, it can be interesting if AMD pulls a decent GPU this time around and forces NVIDIA to do something with prices. And just dropping prices of RTX 2000 series won't make me rush for it from current GTX 1080Ti. So, RTX 3000 has to be something as well if they want to sell them.

I am also currently placing my hopes in AMD.  They are tainted though.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I am also currently placing my hopes in AMD.  They are tainted though.

Even if AMD releases a powerful card their driver support has been so terrible that even if AMD has a card that compares to the 3070/80 but cheaper I'll probably still be forced to go with Nvidia

5 minutes ago, Orfieus said:

Even if AMD releases a powerful card their driver support has been so terrible that even if AMD has a card that compares to the 3070/80 but cheaper I'll probably still be forced to go with Nvidia

Driver support has problems from both companies.  Drivers have become a fits and start thug as tuff gets more complex.  The 10 series had issues when it came out.  The 20 series wasn’t a die upgrade so they had fewer driver issues than normal but it doesn’t mean there won’t be the sam or greater with a new die.