[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

5 hours ago, Pilatypus said:

Thanks. That means it's decent enough given budget consideration right? Price is very competitive, outright beating some lower Tier D PSUs here. So say 5600X and at most 200W GPU for 550/650w?

Yeah for cheap gaming system it will do just fine, I'd say something like a 65W CPU plus a 150W GPU. Go higher than that I'd not do, and rather pick up something like a MWE V2 full range. Plus, you have to also consider that it is 230VO, which means that if you are experiencing brown outs, it's going to be a no bueno.

1 hour ago, BlazeWingbreaker said:

Are the internals significantly different?

Yes, CV650 is DC-DC, completely different OEM and platform than the rest.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

ah okay, thanks for the confirmation

12 hours ago, Juular said:

Actually, they're all the same OEM:  HEC.

They are different platforms, however.

I have an old Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium and upgraded recently to an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Black.

My computer reboots if I increase the GPU power limit and do a heavy GPU load.

The GPU works fine under stock power limit

The previous GPU I have is an MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus 3x and I can increase the power limit to max and have no issues.

I do not have another power supply to test with.

Should I replace the PSU?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, they're all the same OEM:  HEC.

They are different platforms, however.

Ah, right, i thought for a second that they're CWT.

10 hours ago, lawrenceckyu said:

Is this the same as the GF1 in the tier list? And is GF1 gold best in tier or is that only for GF1 platinum? (Not sure if platinum exists)

Yes. Wait a minute, is that Toughpower GF1 or Smart ? TF Amazon ?

And there are no GF1 Platinum (yet, don't give TT any ideas for more SKUs please).

10 hours ago, lawrenceckyu said:

Also What is Russion Gold GF1?

This thing.

8 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

Yes, Seasonic Prime Titanium showed to be incompatible with some RTX3080s. Actually, some (most?) of other 750W PSUs wouldn't work either but this one doesn't even with 850W. Or you can just run the GPU at stock power limit. While we at it, @jonnyGURUdid you guys get your hands on RTX3080 to test with ?

8 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

I have an old Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium and upgraded recently to an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Black.

My computer reboots if I increase the GPU power limit and do a heavy GPU load.

The GPU works fine under stock power limit

The previous GPU I have is an MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus 3x and I can increase the power limit to max and have no issues.

I do not have another power supply to test with.

I believe there is a lot of reported cases of Prime/Prime Ultra Titanium tripping when using a high transient GPU.

Just now, boghubodaghi said:

I believe there is a lot of reported cases of Prime/Prime Ultra Titanium tripping when using a high transient GPU.

Not high transient per se, AMD Vega seems to be okay, but high-end Amperes specifically.

33 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not high transient per se, AMD Vega seems to be okay, but high-end Amperes specifically.

Ummm not sure about that, I've heard issues with Vega as well. I don't know how often though.

Hey guys, new member here with a few questions: I've just put my hands on an EVGA 3080 FTW3 which is causing my PSU (a Seasonic Focus+ 850w platinum from 2017 batch) to trigger OCP, so i started the process of RMA with Seasonic and the 2 options they gave me are: Seasonic Focus PX850 Platinum or Seasonic GX1000 Gold.
Here are my questions: Will any of both work rock solid with an overclocked system (including maybe the 450w bios for the card) w/o triggering OCP or these units also have any problem?
Also my idea is to upgrade my current system to something like Ryzen 5900x + Crosshair 8 Hero, so I'm not sure if should pick the 850w platinum or 1000w gold (although I imagine that for sure 1000w gold should be better than just 850w platinum, right?)

My specs below:

Spoiler

Asus Maximus X Apex
i7 8086k 5.2ghz 1.392v full load

2x8 Trident Z RGB 4266 1.4v
IO: 1.21v

SA 1.22v
1 EK-MLC Phoenix Pump
3 Noctua IPPC 120mm 2000rpm industrial fan
3 Noctua IPPC 140mm 2000rpm industrial fan

1 Hdd
1 Samsung 960 Evo
1 Samsung 860 Evo

19 minutes ago, david cassar said:

I think its tier A

Correct.

12 minutes ago, Muspel said:

I imagine that for sure 1000w gold should be better than just 850w platinum

Not better per se but since you have an option of getting a higher wattage PSU, with such a nitpicky GPU as Ampere that wouldn't hurt, i'd go with 1kW Gold, although 850W one should be enough too.

A question to Mr. Gerow regarding the difference between the Corsair's HX vs RMx platform - I know it was started somewhere (on a forum far far away) along the lines "what it takes to build a platinum rated psu" or "what it takes to go from gold to platinum rated psu" ...
 Efficiency aside - would  he consider the HX platform to be a step above the RMx (2018) when the design/build quality and components used are taken into account and therefore justifies the price difference?
Or is the HX (2017) a slight modification of the RMx (2018) or vice-versa in order to achieve the slightly higher efficiency rating,  gearing it towards the more "enthusiast buyers"/market? While the RMx can be condsidered/viewed also as a quality option "which should satisfy the 90% of the buyers"?

To other guys who are maintaining the PSU tier list - are PSUs with ATX 2.3 standard, like the highly regarded EVGA T2/P2, still compatible and usable with the new builds? 

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes, Seasonic Prime Titanium showed to be incompatible with some RTX3080s. Actually, some (most?) of other 750W PSUs wouldn't work either but this one doesn't even with 850W. Or you can just run the GPU at stock power limit.

Is it incompatible due to a flaw in the Seasonic design?

I had used the PSU with a more power hungry GPU's in the past and didn't have this issue

I have used the following

-MSI RTX 2080 Ti Ventus 3X OC (290w max power limit)

-NVIDIA Titan XP (300w max power limit)

-XFX R9 295x2 (500w)

2 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

Then if that is true why is it still on the recommendation list?

I am also currently looking for a replacement.

The criteria I am looking for are

-has to be the best in class

-80Plus Platinum or Titanium

-Fully Modular cable

-750w or higher

-fully compatible with RTX 3XXX

-willing to spend around $200 or less

-located in USA

So far it looks like the Corsair HX/HXi fits the bill.

I am also looking at the Seasonic Focus PX 750w, but worried it might have the same issue.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

13 minutes ago, Cholosniper said:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B06W9G6H11/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WQFCK0MGWHWAMY12J572

This one is txm placed on tier a? I ask for the fact that in the list says 2017, so Idk if only the psu frabricated in 2017 are on this place

Yes it's Tier A. No, the 2017 doesn't mean they were only fabricated in 2017, that is just when they started selling (i think). The TXM is still in production. The reason for the 2017 is to differentiate it from the old TX-m Bronze from 2011, and the other old TX models from 2007-2011.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

46 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Is it incompatible due to a flaw in the Seasonic design?

Since you have many reports on Prime/Prime Ultra shut downs, it is supposedly caused by a flaw in the design of the protection system. 

46 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Then if that is true why is it still on the recommendation list?

I'm not entirely sure about that, maybe @Juular can explain it better. I could try to answer though, unlike the Seasonic Focus issue, it's hapenning less frequently and Seasonic has yet to make an official statement.

1 hour ago, rcarlos243 said:

So far it looks like the Corsair HX/HXi fits the bill.

I am also looking at the Seasonic Focus PX 750w, but worried it might have the same issue.

If you can get the HX, get the HX. It's better built and performs better than the Focus PX. Also Seasonic said that the newer released PX has fixes on high transient GPUs, so you are not likely to run in the same issue.

But in my opinion, you can ask Seasonic for a replacement rather than buying a new one. Seasonic should provide you with a PSU that has the problem fixed.

2 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

Since you have many reports on Prime/Prime Ultra shut downs, it is supposedly caused by a flaw in the design of the protection system. 

I'm not entirely sure about that, maybe @Juular can explain it better. I could try to answer though, unlike the Seasonic Focus issue, it's hapenning less frequently and Seasonic has yet to make an official statement.

If you can get the HX, get the HX. It's better built and performs better than the Focus PX. Also Seasonic said that the newer released PX has fixes on high transient GPUs, so you are not likely to run in the same issue.

But in my opinion, you can ask Seasonic for a replacement rather than buying a new one. Seasonic should provide you with a PSU that has the problem fixed.

I bought my Seasonic Prime 2nd hand so I can't get RMA.

I see B&H has the Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W Titanium in stock at $200.

Should I buy a new one (might be a newer revision) or will it have the same issue?

Is there any better 80Plus Titanium 750W PSU than the Seasonic Prime at similar price?

10 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

Correct.  Even the Seasonic made Corsair AX850 has this issue.

But it's not from power spikes.  The problem is noise introduced from the card feeding back into the +12V sense line.  This makes the supervisor IC freak out and shut down the PSU.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

But it's not from power spikes.  The problem is noise introduced from the card feeding back into the +12V sense line.  This makes the supervisor IC freak out and shut down the PSU.

Since it is not caused by power spikes, does this mean the AX1000 is also subject to the same tripping issues with 3080s and 3090s?

(I know someone that just bought one of these for future-proofing)

3 minutes ago, electropical said:

Since it is not caused by power spikes, does this mean the AX1000 is also subject to the same tripping issues with 3080s and 3090s?

(I know someone that just bought one of these for future-proofing)

I haven't seen it with the 1000W.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Got it. I have a question for you though. How does this relate into high transience? Shouldn't lower power consuming cards experience the same issue if it's caused by the +12V sense?

13 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

I bought my Seasonic Prime 2nd hand so I can't get RMA.

I see B&H has the Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W Titanium in stock at $200.

Should I buy a new one (might be a newer revision) or will it have the same issue?

Is there any better 80Plus Titanium 750W PSU than the Seasonic Prime at similar price?

If I were you I'd pick up a HX 750 instead. It's only platinum but its performance can rival the Prime Titanium, if not better. It can be found at prices similar to the prime, if not cheaper. But if you still insists on having to go with Titanium efficiency, then it's OK to buy the Prime Ultra. If you have problems then you can ask Seasonic for a replacement this time.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, Juular said:

Nothing to do with the PSU, it's a UEFI / RAM / CPU / IF stability thing.

So I did a LOT of testing (different RAM, different GPU, different PSU etc.). I always have the blue screen issue with varying frequency. I even tried my PC at a friends house and for 4 hours nothing happened. Exact same system, exact same testing, no issues. Tried at home again and a lot of blue screens. Tried with a 600w PSU and got blue screens instantely and couldn't even boot into windows most of the time. This leads me to believe PSU as I have an old house where maybe the signal is not as "clean" while at my friends house it is somehow better? (I am not a tech expert here)

So, my guess either my EVGA G2 650w is not enough for a 5800x and a 3080FE or my 5800x has some problems regarding voltage. I can either send it my 5800x and ask for a replacement or get a better PSU. The blue screens are even happening when I undervolt my 3080 (~80watts less). The only thing how I can stop it from happening is disabling CPB and PBO (auto boosting of CPU) and leave it at stock 3.8GHz.
What do you think? PSU or CPU?

I am considering buying a new PSU anyway and have 2 options now

Corsair RM850x for about 160 Euros

Thermaltake GF1 ARGB 850w for 215 Euros (with 150 credits for the shop)

When reading the first post it says Corsair RMx is good but only the white version? Is this correct? Should I go for the Corsair RM850x in white?

Which 850w power supply is currently the quietest and also works without problems with a RTX 3080 / 3090? Its better to use a Multi oder Singel Rail?

Gaming-PC: AMD 7700X | ASUS RTX 4070 Ti | ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI | G-Skill RGB 32GB, DDR5-6000 | Corsair HX1200 | Fractal Torrent Compact |
Internet: Magenta | Fritz!Box 6660 Cable | 1028 Mbit/s / 53 Mbit/s |