[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

And does it work?

Kind of funny that you're asking ME if something works when YOU have the parts?聽 馃槃

I suppose you could try this: Run Prime 95 in the back ground.聽 Run Furmark in the foreground.聽 Press the space bar after a few seconds.聽 Does it shut down?

Also, if you have a motherboard that "bottlenecks" your GPU's performance, the problem isn't there. You have to have a setup that fully optimizes the performance of the card.聽 If you're using an i7 7700K on a Z170X motherboard, you're not going to have a problem because you've dropped a V12 into a Yugo (by today's standards).

My bad, wanted to know how to replicate the problem. I haven't seen any shutdowns during gaming (Gears 5 at 4k) yet, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the steps. Motherboard is ASUS X570-E with 3800x.

Will report back with my findings.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

And does it work?

Kind of funny that you're asking ME if something works when YOU have the parts?聽 馃槃

I suppose you could try this: Run Prime 95 in the back ground.聽 Run Furmark in the foreground.聽 Press the space bar after a few seconds.聽 Does it shut down?

Also, if you have a motherboard that "bottlenecks" your GPU's performance, the problem isn't there. You have to have a setup that fully optimizes the performance of the card.聽 If you're using an i7 7700K on a Z170X motherboard, you're not going to have a problem because you've dropped a V12 into a Yugo (by today's standards).

Final update: Stressing the PSU with Prime 95(in background) and FurMark(in foreground) doesn't trigger shutdown, tried this multiple times.

Thank you once again.

@LukeSavenijeHey, wanted to ask - could you please include Montech PSUs in the tier list and list where each unit/series stands in which category? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, knownbyfew said:

@LukeSavenijeHey, wanted to ask - could you please include Montech PSUs in the tier list and list where each unit/series stands in which category? Thanks.

We already have a bunch there, aren't we ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

We already have a bunch there, aren't we ?

Oh crap, I found it! I just found their PSUs in the lower end system and didn't see it anywhere, so thought it wasn't included. Sorry.

Why XPG Pylon in ( low priority units - minor issues or lack of info )?聽Does it聽have any problem or lack of information?

4 hours ago, itslit said:

Does it聽have any problem or lack of information?

The latter, there were no reviews at the time, it will be moved to normal priority in the next revision, see changelog.

6 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

@Juular@LukeSavenije聽Seems like the TUF Gaming Bronze gets reviewed:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https://www.expreview.com/78077.html

Looks quite good, quite similar to the CX, so why this PSU is in Tier C?聽

We thought it didn't have LLC, as we didn't know the internals yet so we put it on C. On the next revision it will be on B.

Anybody know that why the cooler Master V750 Gold v2 is in a minor / lack of information?聽

Are there any proper reviews of the Seasonic 12 SIII 650w unit? Only one I can find is for the 500w version which I've read isn't on the same platform or doesn't have the same specs

10 hours ago, iCoNrant said:

Anybody know that why the cooler Master V750 Gold v2 is in a minor / lack of information?

Because there were no reviews at the time of the revision.

23 minutes ago, screamopilla said:

Are there any proper reviews of the Seasonic 12 SIII 650w unit? Only one I can find is for the 500w version which isn't on the same platform.

All Seasonic S12III are on the same platform.

16 minutes ago, Juular said:

Review I just showed, now just wait for the tier list change by the creator

31 minutes ago, Juular said:

All Seasonic S12III are on the same platform.

Ok thanks, I managed to find a review and some helpful information here (both websites are no longer live):

https://web.archive.org/web/20200805074645/http://www.f14lab.com/2019/05/review-seasonic-s12iii-500550650.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LFvQR4gqyQsJ:www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17879-SeaSonic-S12III-Review-F14-Lab%26goto%3Dnewpost&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Currently looking for a budget 650w bronze unit and the Seasonic S12 III 650w is the best price I can get in the UK at 拢45 delivered. Alternatives are Corsair CV650 (拢50 delivered) and Coolermaster MWE V2 Bronze (拢50) delivered. I have the XPG Pylon 650w unit on order at 拢46.50 but the supplier seems to have stock issues and dispatch is delayed so thinking of cancelling getting one of the above instead. I would lean to Seasonic or Coolermaster for their 5 year warranties, vs 3 years for the XPG and Corsair units, but the Seasonic unit seems pretty low on the tier list and apparently lacks some standard protection features like OTP so there's also that

44 minutes ago, screamopilla said:

Ok thanks, I managed to find a review and some helpful information here (both websites are no longer live):

https://web.archive.org/web/20200805074645/http://www.f14lab.com/2019/05/review-seasonic-s12iii-500550650.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LFvQR4gqyQsJ:www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?17879-SeaSonic-S12III-Review-F14-Lab%26goto%3Dnewpost&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Currently looking for a budget 650w bronze unit and the Seasonic S12 III 650w is the best price I can get in the UK at 拢45 delivered. Alternatives are Corsair CV650 (拢50 delivered) and Coolermaster MWE V2 Bronze (拢50) delivered. I have the XPG Pylon 650w unit on order at 拢46.50 but the supplier seems to have stock issues and dispatch is delayed so thinking of cancelling getting one of the above instead. I would lean to Seasonic or Coolermaster for their 5 year warranties, vs 3 years for the XPG and Corsair units, but the Seasonic unit seems pretty low on the tier list and apparently lacks some standard protection features like OTP so there's also that

S12iii -- using an inferior secondary topology to split the 12v into minor rails (quite old), missing OTP, not claiming OCP on any rail, does not have UVP and OVP is "implemented" as the operating limitation of the聽Grenergy GR8313 supervisor IC...This sounds pretty bleak to me.

In your case, I would take the V2 Bronze /聽Pylon if you can...I wouldn't overvalue warranty as an excuse to get protection-lottery-city of a unit that is the S12iii.

4 minutes ago, ForwardVoltage said:

S12iii -- using an inferior secondary topology to split the 12v into minor rails (quite old), missing OTP, not claiming OCP on any rail, does not have UVP and OVP is "implemented" as the operating limitation of the聽Grenergy GR8313 supervisor IC...This sounds pretty bleak to me.

In your case, I would take the V2 Bronze /聽Pylon if you can...I wouldn't overvalue warranty as an excuse to get protection-lottery-city of a unit that is the S12iii.

Yes this was my reasoning for going with the XPG Pylon unit, especially after reading Tom's Hardware's recent review. Based on the tier list I understand that there are two Cooler Master V2 Bronze versions, one for 230v and the other with full range, with the latter being a tier higher. I think the better rated V2 unit is the MPE-6501-ACAAB-UK (several different versions on Amazon UK right now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Bronze-V2-Bronze-Supply/dp/B07T38XVBD?th=1)

7 hours ago, screamopilla said:

Are there any proper reviews of the Seasonic 12 SIII 650w unit? Only one I can find is for the 500w version which I've read isn't on the same platform or doesn't have the same specs

https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzje/test_zasilacza_seasonic_s12iii_500_w_lider_klasy_budzetowej-11808.html
In brief the right quality for the price psu for low/midrange setups.

55 minutes ago, iCoNrant said:

@LukeSavenije@LukeSavenije here is the review for the v850 gold v2 psu.

I do not think that is reliable source, but it is them to determine that not me.

QUOTE ME聽聽FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC聽to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C聽||聽Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker)聽|| Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings ||聽Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital聽|| Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold聽||聽Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb聽||聽Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb聽|| Asus Rog Theta 7.1聽||聽Asus Rog claymore聽|| Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse聽||Monitor 1聽Asus 1080p 144hz||Monitor 2聽AOC 1080p 75hz||

Test Rig.

Spoiler

|聽Ryzen 5 3400G聽||聽Gigabyte b450 S2H聽|| Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16聽||Stock cooler聽||聽Antec NX100聽|| Silverstone essential 400w聽||聽Transgend SSD 220s 480gb聽||

Just Sold

Spoiler

|聽i3 9100F聽|| Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI聽||聽MSI Z390 A-Pro聽|| Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler聽|| Kolink Horizon RGB聽|| Corsair CV 550w聽||聽Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/聽 OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

10 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

I do not think that is reliable source, but it is them to determine that not me.

it is, hardwarebusters = aris

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it is, hardwarebusters = aris

oh. I did not realise. well then based on those informations where the V2 will be moved in the next revision? Or have you decided yet?

QUOTE ME聽聽FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC聽to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C聽||聽Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker)聽|| Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings ||聽Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital聽|| Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold聽||聽Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb聽||聽Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb聽|| Asus Rog Theta 7.1聽||聽Asus Rog claymore聽|| Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse聽||Monitor 1聽Asus 1080p 144hz||Monitor 2聽AOC 1080p 75hz||

Test Rig.

Spoiler

|聽Ryzen 5 3400G聽||聽Gigabyte b450 S2H聽|| Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16聽||Stock cooler聽||聽Antec NX100聽|| Silverstone essential 400w聽||聽Transgend SSD 220s 480gb聽||

Just Sold

Spoiler

|聽i3 9100F聽|| Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI聽||聽MSI Z390 A-Pro聽|| Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler聽|| Kolink Horizon RGB聽|| Corsair CV 550w聽||聽Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/聽 OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

14 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

oh. I did not realise. well then based on those informations where the V2 will be moved in the next revision? Or have you decided yet?

expect tier a unless I find something off about it

is聽Corsair RM1000x聽grey/black one the same as the white model? and does this also have a gold tier rating here on linus?聽

image.png.24d9d03c2b50d85cfa451adee30bc1b1.png

7 minutes ago, Zexton said:

is聽Corsair RM1000x聽grey/black one the same as the white model? and does this also have a gold tier rating here on linus?

this is the Gray label, only RM has a "black" label for the current model