[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

14 hours ago, Atgz said:

Hope this is somewhat useful.  

Well, it is SAMA after all. Thanks, i'll add it back to low priority.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Why is The gigabyte model p750gm 80 plus gold placed on tier E? It surprised me

23 minutes ago, Cholosniper said:

Why is The gigabyte model p750gm 80 plus gold placed on tier E? It surprised me

capacitors blowing up on many models

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Hello mens!

First of all, thank you for this list and all the research you guys do, very helpful for people like me who don't know much about PSUs 🙂

I have bought a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W Gold, as is rated in the A-tier here.
I didn't have a great experience with it, so figured I'd provide some info back, in case it's actually a faulty PSU according to you guys.
It ran fine last night for about 2 hours chilling and doing some benches. But then over night my circuit breaker was tripped when I woke up.

I identified the culprit of course as my computer, thought crossed my mind immediatly but I didn't want to face that reality..

Anyways, it trips my circuit even when 0 cables are attached, on different direct sockets, different cables. I have had lan parties of 5 computers here on 1 socket (I know, I have small appartment & only 1 circuit anyways for all sockets), so power draw really shouldn't be a problem.
I read about inrush current, but like I mentioned it worked fine yesterday when first plugged in. I figure overnight maybe something between the connector & the fuse or something must have given up, which is really odd to me.

I have found damage inside, I attach a picture to show. The picture is from the socket/switch side of the PSU.

The green part is sort of in the middle of the grate, 4 cm from the side.

Anyways, just FYI. If you have any idea as to what happened or if maybe I can prevent it in the future, please let me know.

I'll be returning it and steering clear of be quiet! for now.

20210210_185150.jpg

20210210_190513.jpg

22 hours ago, Gihi said:

I have found damage inside

NTC thermistor (part of inrush current limiter circuit) failed, nothing you can do about it, just claim your warranty, it's just a random failure, happens with any brand/OEM.

Juular спасибо! 🙂

I have a question for you, if you're  up for it.

In a direct h2h comparison of RMX850 and FD Ion+ 860p (now labeled as "860w" as it might have gotten a slight refresh, judging by the not soo cheerful posts on a german forum about the cables) - which one would you choose if the price of the two mentioned models was almost identical? Say  ~135 euros each?
 If you'd go for a silent airflow-orientated build which should consume around 500-600w, but the overall quality/reliability of the platform would be in first place, then ofc the operational silence - quality/noise and the op. profile of the fan used, as well as the dodging of the coil whine lottery.
Would even pick a 1kw version, over the 850w models, and then use it as a more passive/fanless 500w solution?

10 hours ago, Spike_Spiegel said:

In a direct h2h comparison of RMX850 and FD Ion+ 860p

RM-x because it seems to be more consistent, i've indeed seen a lot of reports of coil whine on FD ION+, not sure what it's about.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, Pilatypus said:

Hello, thoughts on FSP HV Pro? They claim 'Custom DC-DC Design', if it helps I found a video on it's internals.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5evwKdQjBo

It's a very interesting PSU. It's a PSU with DC-DC that is cheaper than some GR units out there. But as expected, it's built very cheaply and it's 230VO. In my opinion it is fine to use with a mid range GPU but not higher end ones as like I said, the build quality is somewhat questionable. It will be added into the tier list soon to tier C. 

2 hours ago, Juular said:

RM-x because it seems to be more consistent, i've indeed seen a lot of reports of coil whine on FD ION+, not sure what it's about.

I agree the spec wise the RMX does look as a more stable platform. Do you think it could handle the 6800x or 3080 models (like the EVGA's OC ones) without any stability issues in a combination with 5800x/5900x which are also know for their "bursts"?

Funny thing is, on the german forums I did find several users who are quite happy with their purchase of FD Ion+ models. There are 2-3 complaints regarding cables "flexible but cheap" but those are recent buys and they think that Fractal probably changed the cable OEM. (as I've stated the box now labels  "FD Ion+ 860w: not "860p 860w...") Also one of the users complained about the smell of the cables and showed one of them had melted rubber near the connector pins out of the box.

The "problem" with the Corsair is that I did stumbled across many forums (including Corsair's) on a lot of complaints about the coil whine across the whole RMx 2018 (650/750/850) and HX (post 2017) lineup. In my research as well as from the experience of a guy who fixes PSUs it is probably due to Corsair's (or CWT's) decision to cut some corners in the production design and not use wax/glue on capacitors/coils to avoid this issue - as they used before in their older models, something which they've stated proudly on their website back in the day. (I think BQ/FSP still uses that method in their PSU's)
Also the problems and the recall with the HX1200 due to (posting?) problems with some X570 mobos (if I'm not mistaken) puts alot doubt in my mind because it was discovered only now, with a new "demanding" platform, couple of years after the release of that PSU.

I'm not trying to bash them or anything, It's just something I want to avoid any potential problems/noise. (as well as any other potential buyer)
Corsair probably has/sells more and is more popular psu brand than others, so the number of complaints must be higher or the users are "more vocal" than others. (at least the support should be hassle-free)

One more interesting thing is how the different pc parts react with PSUs - for example a friend's ax1000 creates coil whine on MSI b550 Gaming Edge mobo (custom/standard cables) until, in his words: "the capacitors warm up, however when I put my old bq 650 gold, the coil whine sound from the motherboard disappears".
It's also something I've found on MSI's forum I think - a list with specific psu models known to create buzz/coil whine with MSI boards, and other PSUs which are "good to go".
If I find it again I'll post you the link here, it might be something to consider for the PSU tier list spreadsheet.

Sorry for the longer post.

3 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

It's already in Tier B low priority (ctrl+f "V2 Gold")

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

3 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

It's already in Tier B low priority (ctrl+f "V2 Gold")

Ah, didn't see it, thanks!

Hi, complete noob here. I could really use your help.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800x and a 3080FE. In additions I have 2x NVMe m.2, 2x SSD and 2xHDD plus 5 fans in the case.

My power supply is a EVGA G2 650W.

I experience random Blue Screens WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR(124) and am not sure if the problem lies within the CPU or the Power Supply. I tried

different RAM -> BSoD

different Graphics card (old 680) -> no BSoD so far (2 days tested)

different PC with 3080 (old i5-2500k with be quiet 600W psu) -> no BSoD

My questions, could these BSoD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR(124) come from the PSU not being able to handle both the 3080 and the 5800x?

I am looking for new PSUs and have some credit for my lokal Media Markt. They have the following three options currently:

BE QUIET Netzteil Straight Power 11 750W ATX 2.4 (BN283)

https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_be-quiet-netzteil-straight-power-11-750w-atx-2-4-bn283-1672692.html

BE QUIET Netzteil Straight Power 11 850W ATX 2.4 (BN284)
https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_be-quiet-netzteil-straight-power-11-850w-atx-2-4-bn284-1672693.html

CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x 2018, 850W (CP-9020180-EU)

https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_corsair-rmx-series-rm850x-2018-850w-cp-9020180-eu-1714709.html

Are any of the three recommended? I tried looking them up in the PSU Tier List on the first post but am not sure these are the same as the ones recommended.

Thank you guys 🙂

Take a  look at the hardwareluxx forum, I think I've encountered people complaining about similar things (WHEA errors) on several motherboard topics.
Don't hold me for my word but I think it's more related to BIOS issues with the new Ryzen 5000 platform and x570/b550 motherboards.

Wenn du auch dabei bist nimm den MM Newsletter 10e Gutschein mit , dann sind die NTs auch billiger bzw um noch Ok Preisen zu kaufen... 😉

2 hours ago, DesMahaVailo said:

I experience random Blue Screens WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR(124)

Nothing to do with the PSU, it's a UEFI / RAM / CPU / IF stability thing.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, Juular said:

NTC thermistor (part of inrush current limiter circuit) failed, nothing you can do about it, just claim your warranty, it's just a random failure, happens with any brand/OEM.

Thanks for the context! Got my hands on a RM1000x and running fine 🙂

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Nothing to do with the PSU, it's a UEFI / RAM / CPU / IF stability thing.

I tried different RAM, different Bios, different graphics card. I have my. Friends hardware at the moment (unlimited basically). How do I test if the CPU, RAM is the issue? I basically need to track down the component that has a problem. 

17 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

It's a very interesting PSU. It's a PSU with DC-DC that is cheaper than some GR units out there. But as expected, it's built very cheaply and it's 230VO. In my opinion it is fine to use with a mid range GPU but not higher end ones as like I said, the build quality is somewhat questionable. It will be added into the tier list soon to tier C. 

Thanks. That means it's decent enough given budget consideration right? Price is very competitive, outright beating some lower Tier D PSUs here. So say 5600X and at most 200W GPU for 550/650w?

9 hours ago, DesMahaVailo said:

I tried different RAM, different Bios, different graphics card. I have my. Friends hardware at the moment (unlimited basically). How do I test if the CPU, RAM is the issue? I basically need to track down the component that has a problem. 

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

12 hours ago, Spike_Spiegel said:

Take a  look at the hardwareluxx forum, I think I've encountered people complaining about similar things (WHEA errors) on several motherboard topics.
Don't hold me for my word but I think it's more related to BIOS issues with the new Ryzen 5000 platform and x570/b550 motherboards.

Wenn du auch dabei bist nimm den MM Newsletter 10e Gutschein mit , dann sind die NTs auch billiger bzw um noch Ok Preisen zu kaufen... 😉

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hi, I was wondering what makes the CV550 and lower a Tier D unit while the CV650 a Tier C. Are the internals significantly different?