[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

this is the Gray label, only RM has a "black" label for the current model

so what rating does the psu i found have in here on linus? 

2 hours ago, Zexton said:

is Corsair RM1000x grey/black one the same as the white model? and does this also have a gold tier rating here on linus? 

This is the older RMx (launched in 2015, based on CWT HAR), it is different from the current RMx 2018. The 2018 version does not have a 1000W, but the older one is still very good and it is on tier A gold.

Quick question regarding the Mid-tier "Best Unit In the Tier" CX-650 Gray. On Amazon, they have the CX-650 Gray (non modular) as well as the CX-650M (Modular version of what appears to be the same power supply.)

CX-650

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRW2K7E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1YZCYBH4NMBU9&psc=1

CX-650M

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B72W1VA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1YZCYBH4NMBU9&th=1

With the CX-650 being best in the tier, should I expect the CX-650M to be of the same quality, or is it actually different components/quality since it is modular?

2 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

This is the older RMx (launched in 2015, based on CWT HAR)

LOLOLOL!

"CWT HAR"?!?!?!  Where did that come from?  There is no "CWT HAR"!  😄 😄 😄 😄

53 minutes ago, SingleTMat said:

With the CX-650 being best in the tier, should I expect the CX-650M to be of the same quality, or is it actually different components/quality since it is modular?

CXM uses a platform completely different from CX

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

CXM uses a platform completely different from CX

I had a feeling that was the case. Thank you sir!

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOLOLOL!

"CWT HAR"?!?!?!  Where did that come from?  There is no "CWT HAR"!  😄 😄 😄 😄

LOL I got it from @Juular apparently.

thanks!,

what else would be worth going after for 1000w in that pricerange as the rm1000x? 

9 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

LOL I got it from @Juular apparently.

Yeah.  I found out that they just lifted that off the PCB and assumed that was the platform name.

"HAR" is short for "Harrison", the project name.

I never even noticed CWT printed just "HAR" on the PCB.

Hi,

I have a question, maybe someone knows the answer here and can clarify.

Does the White RM850x, this one : https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series-White/p/CP-9020188-NA

have in cable capacitors? This is the newer, not the individually sleeved version from 2016-2017 maybe.

Looking at the pictures, where the whole cable pack can be seen, or just the EPS cable, they are not bulky at all. To me it seems that they dont have capacitors.

Same PSU, just in black definitely have huge bulky cables at the end, and has capacitors in them.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA

Just like my PSU, the EVGA G3 550. Huge bulky and totally unflexible cables, that i want to replace with a 750-850 Corsair PSU. Want to buy the 850 White one, from a local distributor, but i am confused by the pictures on the corsair website. Also Unboxing videos on YT shows the same, smaller cables, that does not seem to have capacitors at the end.

Sorry for the long post, and my english. Posting from the EU, and english is not my first lang.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  I found out that they just lifted that off the PCB and assumed that was the platform name.

"HAR" is short for "Harrison", the project name.

I never even noticed CWT printed just "HAR" on the PCB.

Spoiler

S4VofEhhHerpLFexgeBssa-970-80.jpg.webp

It is indeed printed "HAR" on the top left corner. This made me (or we, rather) believe that even CWT themselves call this Corsair design "HAR".

Do you mind if I keep referring this platform as "HAR" or is it some confidential codenames that I shouldn't use?

9 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

S4VofEhhHerpLFexgeBssa-970-80.jpg.webp

It is indeed printed "HAR" on the top left corner. This made me (or we, rather) believe that even CWT themselves call this Corsair design "HAR".

Do you mind if I keep referring this platform as "HAR" or is it some confidential codenames that I shouldn't use?

I don't care if people call it "Harrison".  We, at Corsair, still call it Harrison.  It just bugged me to see it referred to as "CWT's HAR platform".

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't care if people call it "Harrison".  We, at Corsair, still call it Harrison.  It just bugged me to see it referred to as "CWT's HAR platform".

I see, I'll refer them with the "right" name from now.

I see a Golden Field in the changelog spreadsheet. Is it the Aresze Gold rated?

What is the difference between CX and CX-M? Forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly, but CX seems to be on A tier while CX-M is on B-tier.

6 hours ago, HelixEon said:

What is the difference between CX and CX-M? Forgive me if I am reading this incorrectly, but CX seems to be on A tier while CX-M is on B-tier.

Just recently someone asked about that... It is a different build altogether, the CX non modular uses modern LLC topology on the primary, while the CX-M uses double forward.

8 hours ago, HelixEon said:

CX is B tier, CXM is C tier

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Hi everyone,

I've build my new pc with lots of effort and research so far, and the last thing left is the psu.

Currently I'm choosing between Seasonic Focus GM/GX 650 or bq Pure Power 11CM 600 since these are the only options available for me from A/B tier right now, don't ask why...amazon is not a thing here.

So my question is, what is the main difference between GM and GX? and which one is the best out of these three? According to my local store, GM is the cheapest, GX and bq are at the same price.

9 minutes ago, spraytag said:

Hi everyone,

I've build my new pc with lots of effort and research so far, and the last thing left is the psu.

Currently I'm choosing between Seasonic Focus GM/GX 650 or bq Pure Power 11CM 600 since these are the only options available for me from A/B tier right now, don't ask why...amazon is not a thing here.

So my question is, what is the main difference between GM and GX? and which one is the best out of these three? According to my local store, GM is the cheapest, GX and bq are at the same price.

The difference is on the modularity. GM is semi modular, while GX is fully modular. Internally they are identical.

I'd choose the Focus over the BQ!. The BQ is ACRF on the primary side and has 85C bulk capacitor. There are usually better options at that price range though, are you sure you have searched hard enough?

29 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

The difference is on the modularity. GM is semi modular, while GX is fully modular. Internally they are identical.

I'd choose the Focus over the BQ!. The BQ is ACRF on the primary side and has 85C bulk capacitor. There are usually better options at that price range though, are you sure you have searched hard enough?

Well there's also Corsair RM650 and TX650M (Bronze), Thermaltake Toughpower GF1, nothing more than that. 

I think you never added these PSUs to the Tier E, they are from "Mars Gaming" and even ¨NOX¨ from same tier is like way better, here is a link https://es.marsgaming.eu/es/fuentes-de-alimentacion_m8  . They sell pretty good here in Spain, I remember they were on top of the relevance and reviews on pccomponentes website before, and I checked the pictures of well sold 850W modular PSU ¨Mars Gaming MPII850¨ for 45-55€, even on the pictures it looked like it was made from the cheapest plastic, seemed like a toy. Good that now Pcomponentes seems after many years practically doesn´t sell their products anymore, but they are still well sold in Amazon ES, like their products get hundreds of reviews, and they look like real dangerous.

I just got a Corsair AX850 and it was dead out of the box. Corsair has informed me it is now discontinuted.

14 minutes ago, BiffsPC said:

I just got a Corsair AX850 and it was dead out of the box. Corsair has informed me it is now discontinuted.

Wait, AX850 Gold or Titanium, since the Gold release way back in 2010 and has been discontinued for a while. the Titanium should still be in production.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 hour ago, BiffsPC said:

Corsair who?

Like, you contacted someone in the Fremont office or is it some reseller or contractor?