[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

2 hours ago, DesMahaVailo said:

So I did a LOT of testing (different RAM, different GPU, different PSU etc.). I always have the blue screen issue with varying frequency. I even tried my PC at a friends house and for 4 hours nothing happened. Exact same system, exact same testing, no issues. Tried at home again and a lot of blue screens. Tried with a 600w PSU and got blue screens instantely and couldn't even boot into windows most of the time. This leads me to believe PSU as I have an old house where maybe the signal is not as "clean" while at my friends house it is somehow better? (I am not a tech expert here)

So, my guess either my EVGA G2 650w is not enough for a 5800x and a 3080FE or my 5800x has some problems regarding voltage. I can either send it my 5800x and ask for a replacement or get a better PSU. The blue screens are even happening when I undervolt my 3080 (~80watts less). The only thing how I can stop it from happening is disabling CPB and PBO (auto boosting of CPU) and leave it at stock 3.8GHz.
What do you think? PSU or CPU?

I am considering buying a new PSU anyway and have 2 options now

Corsair RM850x for about 160 Euros

Thermaltake GF1 ARGB 850w for 215 Euros (with 150 credits for the shop)

When reading the first post it says Corsair RMx is good but only the white version? Is this correct? Should I go for the Corsair RM850x in white?

yea, 650w is now here near enough for a 3080 card.. I would upgrade to an 850w minimum. Personally, I avoid anything and everything Thermaltake so I wouldn't personally recommend it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, DesMahaVailo said:

So I did a LOT of testing (different RAM, different GPU, different PSU etc.). I always have the blue screen issue with varying frequency. I even tried my PC at a friends house and for 4 hours nothing happened. Exact same system, exact same testing, no issues. Tried at home again and a lot of blue screens. Tried with a 600w PSU and got blue screens instantely and couldn't even boot into windows most of the time. This leads me to believe PSU as I have an old house where maybe the signal is not as "clean" while at my friends house it is somehow better? (I am not a tech expert here)

So, my guess either my EVGA G2 650w is not enough for a 5800x and a 3080FE or my 5800x has some problems regarding voltage. I can either send it my 5800x and ask for a replacement or get a better PSU. The blue screens are even happening when I undervolt my 3080 (~80watts less). The only thing how I can stop it from happening is disabling CPB and PBO (auto boosting of CPU) and leave it at stock 3.8GHz.
What do you think? PSU or CPU?

I am considering buying a new PSU anyway and have 2 options now

Corsair RM850x for about 160 Euros

Thermaltake GF1 ARGB 850w for 215 Euros (with 150 credits for the shop)

When reading the first post it says Corsair RMx is good but only the white version? Is this correct? Should I go for the Corsair RM850x in white?

If you have a friend with a 850w PSU try it out with his... 
The RM850x is still available in MM and it's fairly cheaper (I've already suggested that one with the voucher, since we're in the same country 😉 )
The white version has "better" (cables) but it's not so tight when it comes to working within the specs vs the RM850x - if I can remember correctly, but it's nothing too dramatic

Btw the WHEA errors you've been getting (which was in your previous post), as stated on the hardwareluxxx forum it has to do with faulty CPUs and nothing can help it unless you RMA it. The RMA is fairly fast and AMD responds on emails fairly fast, in matter of hours, many users have confirmed this on that forums, which is apparently and issue since the Ryzen 3000 series and certain batch of procesors (same goes for 5000).
AMD know us about this and is keeping it quiet for now (same thing with Corsair and their problematic batches of CX line in Brazil), until it gets covers by media and it blows up.

Hopefully  Gerow won't slap me again for this post and he'll see the question about the HX vs RMx post ... 😛

9 minutes ago, Spike_Spiegel said:

If you have a friend with a 850w PSU try it out with his...

Btw the WHEA errors you've been getting (which was in your previous post), as stated on the hardwareluxxx forum it has to do with faulty CPUs and nothing can help it unless you RMA it. The RMA is fairly fast and AMD responds on emails fairly fast, in matter of hours, many users have confirmed this on that forums, which is apparently and issue since the Ryzen 3000 series and certain batch of procesors (same goes for 5000).
AMD know us about this and is keeping it quiet for now (same thing with Corsair and their problematic batches of CX line in Brazil), until it gets covers by media and it blows up.

I know about these and have been trying to test for them as well, but using my old graphics card (gtx 680) I could never get these to appear with the exact same system.

11 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

Got it. I have a question for you though. How does this relate into high transience? Shouldn't lower power consuming cards experience the same issue if it's caused by the +12V sense?

It's actually two different issues... but the same.   Different PSUs have different issues.  We can't just lump all PSUs into "doesn't work with Ampere" and assume it's the same reason. 

And the issue with the Seasonic is limited to the EVGA FTW and FE cards only.  

Either the PSU has enough capacitance on the secondary side to absorb the transient spikes, or the PSU has enough capacitance on the secondary side to absorb the noise.

I've found by cutting the +12V sense on the Seasonic, the Seasonic works.  I've also found that using a motherboard that has auxiliary PCIe power to the board (like the Gigabyte "Designare" boards) will prevent shut down.  I've yet to try the old school trick of winding the +12V sense around a ground wire.  I've been out of the office this past week.

I saw SEASONIC is releasing it's Prime TX 1600 here soon/

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:53 AM, jonnyGURU said:

It's actually two different issues... but the same.   Different PSUs have different issues.  We can't just lump all PSUs into "doesn't work with Ampere" and assume it's the same reason. 

Either the PSU has enough capacitance on the secondary side to absorb the transient spikes, or the PSU has enough capacitance on the secondary side to absorb the noise.

I've found by cutting the +12V sense on the Seasonic, the Seasonic works.  I've also found that using a motherboard that has auxiliary PCIe power to the board (like the Gigabyte "Designare" boards) will prevent shut down.  I've yet to try the old school trick of winding the +12V sense around a ground wire.  I've been out of the office this past week.

Update:  Twisting the +12V sense with a ground wire did not help.  The only thing that solves the problem is removing the +12V sense wire completely from the 24-pin cable.  

16 hours ago, Ankerson said:

I saw SEASONIC is releasing it's Prime TX 1600 here soon/

hm... I've seen them show off a prototype before in I think 2019@computex

took them a decent while

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

took them a decent while

I suppose we will see once someone reviews one of them.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

took them a decent while

Learning curve.

Quick question for y'all, Corsair RM850X vs Seasonic GX850 Focus at same price for a 5900x / 3070?  Been going back and forth, Corsair apparently runs quieter and fanless more often, but when looking at comparisons of the brands or others discussing these models, the suggestions are either that both are comparable and to go with the cheaper one, or suggest picking Seasonic as they only make PSUs and are generally a better company to deal with.  Any experience/input or reasons you'd go with one over the other? 

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Learning curve.

I heard it was going to cost a lot too.

Like a grand. 😲

2 hours ago, StillNvidia680 said:

the suggestions are either that both are comparable and to go with the cheaper one

For completely deaf people that only use older and/or lower end GPUs, and have very little room for PSU length, sure.

2 hours ago, StillNvidia680 said:

or suggest picking Seasonic as they only make PSUs and are generally a better company to deal with. 

Those people are obviously talking out of their asses.

At the same price, I would choose the RMx. Compared to the Focus GX, it's quieter (and uses a fan that's not crap), is easier to find custom cables for, doesn't have issues with higher end GPUs, and doesn't have known soldering quality issues.

:)

Does anyone know where the Deepcool DQ-M-V2L sits ?

the DQ-M is in tier A, but notes the V2L is not part of it, but then doesn’t mention it again 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also does anyone have feedback on MSI MPQ A850GA ?

5 hours ago, StillNvidia680 said:

as they only make PSUs

So did Diablotek, for the most part. Just because you do only one thing doesn't mean you're the best at that thing.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

For completely deaf people that only use older and/or lower end GPUs, and have very little room for PSU length, sure.

Those people are obviously talking out of their asses.

At the same price, I would choose the RMx. Compared to the Focus GX, it's quieter (and uses a fan that's not crap), is easier to find custom cables for, doesn't have issues with higher end GPUs, and doesn't have known soldering quality issues.

Fair enough aye, I saw the RMx also looks like one of the top recommendations based on this tier list too so I went for it, more readily available too in case I need to RMA for it being DOA or something, super paranoid about that haha but hoping it all goes smooth!  Appreciate the advice!

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

So did Diablotek, for the most part. Just because you do only one thing doesn't mean you're the best at that thing.

And that is a fair point as well haha I get ya, I'm sure I'll be happy in the end with the Corsair!

4 hours ago, CY078 said:

Does anyone know where the Deepcool DQ-M-V2L sits ?

the DQ-M is in tier A, but notes the V2L is not part of it, but then doesn’t mention it again

Tier C, low priority units - minor issues or lack of info

4 hours ago, CY078 said:

Also does anyone have feedback on MSI MPQ A850GA ?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as the MSI MPQ A850GA.

The MSI MPG A850GF is under :

Tier A, low priority units - minor issues or lack of info

59 minutes ago, electropical said:

Tier C, low priority units - minor issues or lack of info

As far as I know, there is no such thing as the MSI MPQ A850GA.

The MSI MPG A850GF is under :

Tier A, low priority units - minor issues or lack of info

Sorry yes the MSI MPG A850GF .... I dunno how my spell check changed it to what I wrote ??

Anyways .. there isn’t much info about these ?

I’m having issues with an upgraded (not new but better than what I had) PSU thus need to get a new one.

I have a 2080 super with 3700x. Don’t OC.

Currently have a Cooler Master GX 650w 80+ Bronze but it keeps on cutting out.

On my shopping list is ($AUD)

- Corsair RM 750 ($150 2nd hand but unopened)

- MSI MPG A850GF ($175 new) pending reviews

- Corsair RMx 850 ($205 new)

- Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200w SSR-1200PD ($250 still negotiating ... 2nd hand but they only used it for 2 months because they couldn’t figure out how to fix their mining rig that someone setup for them)

Thoughts ???

59 minutes ago, CY078 said:

Thoughts ???

The RM850x would be the best option, but your questions need a dedicated topic :

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Guys, I have a question. Are the cables of the Corsair VS450(Orange label) grounded or are they not grounded?

2 hours ago, CY078 said:

Anyways .. there isn’t much info about these ?

there is info about them since. It's a CWT GPU, making it tier A multirail, since it's very similar to Bitfenix Whisper, Deepcool DQ-M (V1) and Enermax Revolution DF

Hi guys,

I have a noob question. But I am starting my new build 5950x with a 3090   on a dark hero. I currently have a Corsair ax1200i that I have been running in my main rig since 2015. Should I just stick with my ax1200i or should I upgrade to a newer PSU? I had a hard time finding the ax1200i and i do not believe it was in the top tier list but not sure if the situation is different since I already have it and I believe at the time I purchased it, it was very good. 

4 hours ago, CY078 said:

On my shopping list is ($AUD)

- Corsair RM 750 ($150 2nd hand but unopened)

- MSI MPG A850GF ($175 new) pending reviews

- Corsair RMx 850 ($205 new)

- Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200w SSR-1200PD ($250 still negotiating ... 2nd hand but they only used it for 2 months because they couldn’t figure out how to fix their mining rig that someone setup for them)

Thoughts ???

My vote would be the MPG A850, we recently just knew what it is, so it will be on tier A multirail together with PSUs mentioned by @LukeSavenije. I personally see no reason to pay $30 just for better fans and (probably) customer support for the RMx.

1 hour ago, PurpDrink said:

Hi guys,

I have a noob question. But I am starting my new build 5950x with a 3090   on a dark hero. I currently have a Corsair ax1200i that I have been running in my main rig since 2015. Should I just stick with my ax1200i or should I upgrade to a newer PSU? I had a hard time finding the ax1200i and i do not believe it was in the top tier list but not sure if the situation is different since I already have it and I believe at the time I purchased it, it was very good. 

I believe AX1200i was discontinued a while ago. If I were you I would carry on using it as it is well built and should last pretty long.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:23 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Is Seasonic PRIME Titanium(SSR-750TD) affected? Or is this restricted to PRIME Ultra Titanium? Have a 3080 FE currently.

3 hours ago, sabertooth_990fx said:

Is Seasonic PRIME Titanium(SSR-750TD) affected? Or is this restricted to PRIME Ultra Titanium? Have a 3080 FE currently.

And does it work?

Kind of funny that you're asking ME if something works when YOU have the parts?  😄

I suppose you could try this: Run Prime 95 in the back ground.  Run Furmark in the foreground.  Press the space bar after a few seconds.  Does it shut down?

Also, if you have a motherboard that "bottlenecks" your GPU's performance, the problem isn't there. You have to have a setup that fully optimizes the performance of the card.  If you're using an i7 7700K on a Z170X motherboard, you're not going to have a problem because you've dropped a V12 into a Yugo (by today's standards).

14 hours ago, boghubodaghi said:

I believe AX1200i was discontinued a while ago. If I were you I would carry on using it as it is well built and should last pretty long.

This was also my thinking for:

1) His post

2) My post - as the Seasonic is very well regarded and built to last. Got them down to $150