IT Support Question

ITJINN

Can you please mention what are the attractive aspects and unattractive aspects that you consider about the IT support Position?

I’m preparing for Interview questions and I’ve got nothing for this one except: satisfaction of solving problems and seeing things function again knowing that was because of me.

Positive aspects: solving problems and learning in the process.

Negative aspects: Users who can't properly describe their issue, deadlines and the stress that follows.

pros: you like playing supporters in games? same thing you help to keep the shit running. kinda important. also getting to work with fancy hardware makes my  nips hard :D

negatives: the less people understand what youre doing the less they appreciate your work. also users only remember when something doesnt work not when it does. and user only call for you when shits on fire so youre dealing with frustrated and complaining users all day. requires a high tolerance and alot of patience

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Positive aspects: Solving Problems and learning in the process, being around Tech and people, you can learn something from them and you can teach them how to do things properly.

Negative aspects: People not being able to describe/recreate the Problem that they're having, them not willing to give in and admit that they did something wrong or fucked something up, them not willing to learn how ito supposed to be done.

Good luck ?!

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I work within IT support 

Pros: You get paid, learning and certs (I got my Microsoft MTAs in Networking/Cloud and a CISCO CCNA) Helping people 

Cons: You feel like your brain is being mashed in a blender on the daily because some end users do not have common sense. End users not describing their problems properly, being shouted at when its not a simple fix 

But in saying that, I do like the satisfaction of solving problems. But thats me :)

what are some Interview questions I should expect

17 minutes ago, ITJINN said:

Can you please mention what are the attractive aspects and unattractive aspects that you consider about the IT support Position?

negative: It will drain your soul and brain, just like retail. You will lose faith in humanity.

positiv: There are worse jobs out there

Done it for a few days during my apprenticeship and never ever again

4 minutes ago, ITJINN said:

what are some Interview questions I should expect

Education or Commerical? What country? 

1 minute ago, ITJINN said:

England and for an IT tech role 

Yeah but what sector dude. Is it education or corprate? I am a IT tech in a school in the UK 

What experience you have with installing computers, if you work well with people, what kind of experience you have with Active Directory and servers and stuff like that. Thats what i was asked among the basic stuff when i got my job as an internal IT tech three weeks ago :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

pros: you like playing supporters in games? same thing you help to keep the shit running. kinda important. also getting to work with fancy hardware makes my  nips hard :D

negatives: the less people understand what youre doing the less they appreciate your work. also users only remember when something doesnt work not when it does. and user only call for you when shits on fire so youre dealing with frustrated and complaining users all day. requires a high tolerance and alot of patience

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I work within IT support 

Pros: You get paid, learning and certs (I got my Microsoft MTAs in Networking/Cloud and a CISCO CCNA) Helping people 

Cons: You feel like your brain is being mashed in a blender on the daily because some end users do not have common sense. End users not describing their problems properly, being shouted at when its not a simple fix 

But in saying that, I do like the satisfaction of solving problems. But thats me :)

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I work within IT support 

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

Positive aspects: Solving Problems and learning in the process, being around Tech and people, you can learn something from them and you can tech them how to do things properly.

Negative aspects: People not being able to describe/recreate the Problem that they're having, them not willing to give in and admit that they did something wrong or fucked something up, them not willing to learn how ito supposed to be done.

Good luck ?!

Thank you!

Does every company have a different troubleshoot process for IT technicians?

What should I focus on preparing for an interview as an IT technician(first role in the field)?

Yes, not every company is the same because their networks and setups aren't the same.

Focus on the process and logical steps to think through a problem, not the answer itself.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Some things I will say, and this applies to ANY field in IT.

NOBODY knows everything, period. People might be really smart in a particular small segment but nobody can know everything about everything.

Using Google or another search tool is a good thing, do NOT be afraid to google something.

Do research before asking that smart coworker a question, prove you tried to do some sort of research before hand.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes, every company i have worked in have different procedures to follow.

Luckily i have worked my way up through a few connections and now am an Infrastructure engineer so no dealing with End Users ?

1 minute ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Yes, every company i have worked in have different procedures to follow.

Luckily i have worked my way up through a few connections and now am an Infrastructure engineer so no dealing with End Users ?

I'll argue that someone is always an end user you're dealing with, no matter how far up you work.

Manage the backbone network? The site admins you interconnect are your "end users" :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

haha i guess i see your point. But generally there is enough distance between me and the call centre / warehouse / non techs that my job is pretty understood.

I don't tend to talk to many people other than my own team. We look after the back end, servers, datastores, Virtualisation, networking etc.