IT Support Question

ITJINN

in europe so far on my experiance its more about being able to find the solution than knowing it instantly, so id polis google skills and logic thinking... thats about it   and just general IT knowladge... like booting/bioses... traditional issues etc...  everyhting specific will come over time with the job...

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

where i live the corporate world is looking for retail experience for entry level tech roles. They know they can, and need to, teach hard skills. They want soft spoken, friendly, super polite, people to provide internal-customer service to their white collar staff. I work as a driver so i get to see a lot of work places. After an induction at a corporate site, one of my co-workers asked why corps always employ dopey cunts like the guy that hosted our induction. Its coz they want super polite go-nowhere dopey cunts. I highly recommend you let your mum dress you for the interview.

38 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

haha i guess i see your point. But generally there is enough distance between me and the call centre / warehouse / non techs that my job is pretty understood.

I don't tend to talk to many people other than my own team. We look after the back end, servers, datastores, Virtualisation, networking etc.

True, I knew what you meant by end users :P

Always nice to talk to people who are technical like you instead of "What is computer? You mean the picture display thing?"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm going to prepare you for the 2 or maybe 3 people you will almost always get when you do IT support,

Number 1: Forgets his password every week/ few days

Number 2: now next to nothing about computers except that it has facebook en he or she can type on it

Number 3: Makes his or her own problems because they are lonely and want someone to talk to.

Number 4: Deletes files, uninstalls programs, downloads unauthorized apps, etc. then becomes impatient and frustrated that we're taking too long to fix it. 

I'm usually patient, but when they become unreasonable, I warn them before eventually walking away and having service ticket reassigned to next available technician. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

5 hours ago, ITJINN said:

Does every company have a different troubleshoot process for IT technicians?

What should I focus on preparing for an interview as an IT technician(first role in the field)?

Every company is going to be different, simply because they have different needs, for an insurance company, emails and phones are going to be priority systems, while it won't be for a factory, the factory will most likely be focused on having DB and internal system as a priority.

Same goes with procedures, every company is going to have their specifics, but the basics are always going to be the same.

Good luck for your interview.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

depending on where you work it could be good or bad. In general it should be fine on paper, but normies dont seem to understand a lick of anything so when you need to explain things to someone you need to be decent at REALLY dumbing shit down

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss