CPU for photo editing (maybe video editing in future )

xxx68

Hello, what cpu would be the best choice for me performance/ cost wise. I am photographer using Phase One  Capture One and Adobe Photoshop. Next year i would also like to work with wedding video in Adobe Premiere (not sure if i get time for that). I know new ryzens are priced nicely but also heard that adobe is better with intel. What should i choose ? Also if you could advise me gpu for this usage. I guess second hand 1060 6gb should do ? THX. I do not play games. I will build a new pc from from scratch. thx

For photo editing - almost everything will be good. Pentium will be fine too paired with some 1030 or 1050 at most for acceleration if you're using raw processing.

For video editing on, for example, Premiere - you'll need new intel processor, not discovered yet, something like i29 overclocked to 20 GHz. :)

But seriously - something really good, unless you only want to made basic processing or have lot of time.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

For photo editing - almost everything will be good. Pentium will be fine too paired with some 1030 or 1050 at most for acceleration if you're using raw processing.

For video editing on, for example, Premiere - you'll need new intel processor, not discovered yet, something like i29 overclocked to 20 GHz. :)

But seriously - something really good, unless you only want to made basic processing or have lot of time.

ok so do you think its worth going for i9 9900K or something below ?

We can't really give you recommendations unless you give us a budget, as there might be many good options for your use case, but prices will vary greatly.

What I can say is that, for photo editing, you don't really need a lot of cores/threads, as it's more of a single-core dependant task, while for video editing (Premiere), you'll want all the extra cores you can get, where AMD Ryzen will generally be the better value.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Photo work can actually benefit from multiple cores, in Photoshop not for all tasks but those that can are multithread. Throw a content aware fill on a high res image and you'll see a 16 thread CPU pegged for a few seconds.

Lightroom uses cores even better because it does a lot of different things at the same time... and if it doesn't have more cores to do them it'll bog down your editing responsiveness, so you DO want more cores. I use it quite a bit and 4 vs 8 cores makes a very significant dfference.

But yeah avoid CPUs that have subpar single thread performance.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also heavily depends on the type of videos you're editing.  4k video editing will require a lot more for a computer compared to 1080p processing.

In general it seems like Ryzen is a better buy for productivity workloads right now due to high core/thread count for a given price point, but the 9900k is a great processor (just $$$).

Additionally, keep in mind other things such as ram and storage, since heavy workloads will benefit from upgrades in speed and capacity of those as well.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I have the r7 3700x, so you can ask me stuff. I have the programs mentioned, if you want some benchmarks etc.

The short story is that the ryzen 3000 series closed the gap with intel, so they are just as good in adobe programs, and even better in others.

Now, for photo editing, 3700x is probably overkill, r5 3600 would work just as well.

For video editing, i can edit 4k 60fps 10bit 200mbit footage fine in real time, with full resolution playback.

The first guy was trolling btw, because your thread was lacking the general information needed to recommend a processor.

TLDR: Depending on your budget constraints, get the 3700x, if that is too expensive, the 3600 will do fine, it will work for 1080p and even some slight 4k video editing.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

There is also question what video editing means for you. If you want only cut, made basic short transitions and export in the same format (like movie director) and sometimes add text, you don't need as much power as for creating effects in AE using lot of layers.

I'm not really trolling that much in first post btw. As far as I remember, Premiere was always slow. I started using it on old Pentium years ago and I must wait for processing every effect. Years later I still must wait long time for processing. Of course, resolution changes and some other stuff, it's no longer pal Pinnacle card in use, but still, years ago I was hope that some day everything will be very fast (like 10 seconds rendering for 30 minutes movie).