Dust free room ?

espr3ss0

Anyone looked into how to keep a room dust free ? Considering getting an air purifier.

An air purifier will not eliminate dust, or come anywhere close.

You don't keep a room dust free unless you're in a clean room and wearing a hazmat suit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Trust me, I have a air purifier that's on the higher end, the type that cost like over 400$ and has a bunch of features nobody knows what they do.... It doesn't get rid of all the dust even though my room is not that large. (8' x 12') 

You simply can't get rid of all dust unless you go with a cleanroom thing... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You're not going to get a dust free room with an air purifier, you'll need to eliminate every point of entry; windows, doors, humans, etc.

Air purifiers help a bit. But to actually get rid of the dust you have to rotate entire volume of the air in the room every 5-10 seconds through the HEPA or at least EPA filters. Basically you have to remove dust from air while it's still airborne. As soon as it falls on a surface, you'll not be able to filter it. Until you move that object or walk across it which might lift it up in the air.

Most air purifiers might move 100m3 an hour. Meaning tons of dust have time to settle down before passing through the purifier. I too was expecting slightly better results than I actually got. Can't deny it still captures A LOT of dust as I have to quite regularly clean its prefilter and I replace HEPA filter once a year and it is visibly darker with lots of dust captured in filter ribbons.

If you need to temporarily get rid of dust (like for instance to apply a screen protector to a phone or tablet), water vapor can help.  Cook some water in that room and as the air gets humid the moisture will cling to the dust, which will then become too heavy and fall down. 

As for permanent solutions ... forget about that.  Not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

If you need to temporarily get rid of dust (like for instance to apply a screen protector to a phone or tablet), water vapor can help.  Cook some water in that room and as the air gets humid the moisture will cling to the dust, which will then become too heavy and fall down. 

But, then... mold.

Won’t visit often..

5 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

But, then... mold.

If short-term moisture would cause mold, you wouldn't be able to boil water for cooking anymore without the kitchen having mold problems.  And forget about taking a hot shower too. 

It really takes lots of moisture over a long period of time for things to become problematic. 

Thanks for the replies. The dust atm builds up a lot in the space of 2 days, not looking to get the room dust free sorry for the misleading topic but somehow less than it is. Also interested to know how others cope with it.

I can run a diffuser that creates a slight mist a while before I clean just to make less scattering of the dust.

Any other tips ?