I got rid of my OLED... for a GAMING TV

nicklmg
7 minutes ago, Saksham said:

hold on... this video is unlisted from sept 27? whats going on?

Sorcery!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If the stars are aligned right? Seriously? I mean at that price this is just unacceptable. Clearly not worth a recommendation.

I would always rather go for this year LG OLED 120Hz VRR models.    

Nvidia already pushed support for HDMI 2.1

Only reason going LCD in my living room would be if I've got it for free.  

What is the keyboard tray thing he's using in this one? Is it a single product or some kind of platform with a keyboard and mouse added to it?

8 minutes ago, Carlomango said:

What is the keyboard tray thing he's using in this one? Is it a single product or some kind of platform with a keyboard and mouse added to it?

My question exactly!

42 minutes ago, Burns-Caulfield said:

My question exactly!

I believe it is the ROCCAT Sova

So ..let me get this straight ... you replaced a top of the line signature series OLED TV ...with a POS overpriced LCD that looks like a CCFL LCD TV a ricer has puked up on :P

Sorry i couldnt disagree more with ur decision.

I would bet vital parts of my anatomy to the fact that display cannot handle 120hz properly. Thats a VA panel ,, theres no way the pixels are transitioning fast enough for 120hz let alone 144hz, especially in dark scenes.

Now that being said, if u dont notice that ghosting then thats great . i mean it ..not noticing ghosting is a bloody godsend, i wish i was blind to it. And the low density FALD lag time , and blooming/haloing, again if u dont notice it great.

But to consider that an upgrade from a signature series OLED is just bloody nuts.

Honestly, BFGD's are very odd, very niche product. They are arguably too big. they are arguably the wrong aspect ratio, and they are most certainly overpriced. not to mention gaudy as all hell.

Think you done fked up on this one Linus, really think you shoulda kept the OLED. but hey,, your home ur choice :) hope it works out.

On a side note, i really want to see a proper technical review of these BFGD's, done by maybe rtings or tftcentral for example. i want to know the measured specs beyond the BS the manufacturers claim.

Now , in regards to BFGD's that might be worth considering .. there is one im interested in seeing. The Dell Alienware AW5520QF, why? becouse its OLED, and its 55" not 65". That combined with ur expected gaming and PC optimizations, taking out the useless TV crap like tuners, smart OS etc, and it doesnt look gaudy, instead looking much sleaker liek a 'normal' OLED TV ..makes it a more worthy option IMO.

That said ..its expected cost of over £3000 is just as absurd as other BFGD's, at 3 times the price of a regular OLED TV, theres just no reason for such a price tag other than pure greed.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The thing about Linus is that. He is not paying for it. 

We could go on and on if it would be better to use a high refresh rate TV for gaming which is LCD vs OLED. OLED for inky blacks and contrast and/or LCD with less contrast, grey blacks but with no potential for burn in.

But from a perspective of someone like Linus. I would go high refresh rate OLED and that's it.Without caring for potential burn in.

I'm waiting for those double LCD's (one monochrome and one normal) which should hit almost OLED like quality without the burn-in.  Hopefully they send the prices down even further once they become available. 

15 hours ago, MadDuke said:

I'm waiting for those double LCD's (one monochrome and one normal) which should hit almost OLED like quality without the burn-in.  Hopefully they send the prices down even further once they become available. 

Aye, dual layer LCD ,, and also the Hybrid OLED's (QD-OLED / H-OLED) being developed both look promising, and both are taking a broadly similar route.

The dual layer LCD is just adding another monochrome LCD layer to help focus the traditional LED/FALD back-lighting, while the hybrid OLED is replacing the LED backlight entirely with a single color OLED layer, then using a more standard QuantomDot filter layer for color.

That said while both will technically be able to get much better blacks for an LCD, they are still LCD like and as such pixel response times will still be no where near that of an OLED. The Hybrid OLED using QD over an OLED backlight layer might be able to keep speed up but it will depend on the speed of the QD layer being used.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

What was the actual workaround for the audio? I have a similar issue, AVR only does 4k 60hz so prevents me using a high  refresh rate monitor unless I go  direct from pc to monitor which means no surround sound via my home theater system.

Are you guys doing away with the intro? I didn't see one

1 hour ago, mmmmbeer said:

What was the actual workaround for the audio? I have a similar issue, AVR only does 4k 60hz so prevents me using a high  refresh rate monitor unless I go  direct from pc to monitor which means no surround sound via my home theater system.

I am also curious as to how it eventually worked? 

A quick look hasn't turned anything up; but from what I recall Harmony remotes can be configured to send CEC commands via another device (like the receiver). It may be worth investigating if you can change inputs etc via CEC. Most displays will not let you turn them on via CEC though some will let you put to sleep and wake up which could give you explicit on/off equivalent functionality.

I didn't see a USB port that looked like it would take commands, nor an ethernet port which means no commands via the network, and of course no RS232 because it's not an industrial display. If it does happen to have WiFi you may be able to control input via network commands, though WiFi is normally off when the display is off so you likely wouldn't be able to explicitly power on/off via network commands. (Network commands do require a separate Logitech Harmony device that the handheld remote communicates with via RF)

Just some thoughts to maybe get control in a more useful form while waiting for ASUS to hopefully submit useful IR codes to Logitech.

As an alternative, I find the RTI remote controls to have a much nicer end user experience than Logitech with a lower barrier to entry than AMX/Crestron. Though I don't think the goal is to replace the Logitech remote at this point it may be something to investigate in the future.

47 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

You can just get a third party stand if you don't want to wall mount.

I doubt anyone will make one for such an obscure model.

2 hours ago, Paranoid Kami said:

You can just get a third party stand if you don't want to wall mount.

This is probably a really good idea for that area because I didn't see recessed power on the wall behind the TV nor any other keystone wall connections which would be the best way to do a clean wall mount.

Edit: Not to say this can't be done, just that this would be much less labor intensive and be much easier to make changes to.

18 hours ago, BigGameJames said:

I am also curious as to how it eventually worked? 

I think he just ran a HDMI cable from his PC to the AVR as well as the Display port cable from the PC to the TV. Clone the displays in Nvidia control panel so both are showing the same thing. Essentially two displays but only one actually being used as a display. I tried this myself a while back and while it works it increase GPU temps as the GPU is sending two display signals even though only one is in use.

Need a way to knock off the visual part of the signal and only send audio.

20 hours ago, mmmmbeer said:

I wonder why he didn't just use ARC? I assume his AV Receiver supports it - perhaps the BFGD doesn't?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I wonder why he didn't just use ARC? I assume his AV Receiver supports it - perhaps the BFGD doesn't?

Doesn't ARC have a slight delay?

4 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

Doesn't ARC have a slight delay?

Why would it have a slight delay? As far as I'm aware, it would only need to do so if it was re-encoding the audio. Assuming he's using BitStream, there shouldn't be any delay. There of course could be bugs that introduce a delay, mind you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)