What's the ultimate girlfriend netflix machine?

Hello.

Looking for the best laptop to suit my girlfriend's needs.

It has to look clean, no huge bezels, decent battery life but it doesn't need a lot of power since she's neither into gaming nor video-editing. She's mainly going to use it to watch movies, answer to e-mails and open a few chrome tabs.

So, do you have suggestions for a device that's reasonably priced, with thin bezels and good autonomy ? 

The Lenovo s540 is good. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

The s540 is equipped with core i5/i7 and is quite pricey. It's already too powerful and too expensive for something that'll just open chrome tabs.

1 hour ago, 7412 said:

Hello.

Looking for the best laptop to suit my girlfriend's needs.

It has to look clean, no huge bezels, decent battery life but it doesn't need a lot of power since she's neither into gaming nor video-editing. She's mainly going to use it to watch movies, answer to e-mails and open a few chrome tabs.

So, do you have suggestions for a device that's reasonably priced, with thin bezels and good autonomy ? 

You might find a Chromebook that suits that need. But realize ChromeOS is very limited. Basically its built on Cloud Computing, meaning everything runs thru the web browser. It think there are a few other apps installed but thats about it. But they cost as low as $129 new or up to $1000. So like I said, you should find one that might suit your needs. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Probably define your budget first, the term not toooo pricey is very loose and depends on the person and the country.

I personally wouldn't bother with below i3 level of performance, as everything below that ages reaaaally fast and you won't enjoy that long

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

People are probably going to light hair when I say this but my SO has been happy (so far) with an HP Stream they got. However, you'll want to find something like that that has at least 64gb of drive space, as the 32gb one in that one is simply to small to handle windows updates. 

You'll probably also want to look for one that has WiFi 6 support, to mitigate network congestion once you've got a router that supports it. 

Edit: Maybe something like this? https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-stream-14-ds0060nr and just asaume. You'll need to replace it in a few years. 

a chromebook would be nice, and install galliumOS on it pls

galliumOS is an OS optimized for chromebook hardware, also you won't have to deal with auto update end things

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 9/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, 7412 said:

I'd look for something with more battery life, and drop the hard disk. Unless she's storing the videos or a giant music library, 1TB is a lot of space for something that's not going to handle getting dropped well, and battery life ends up being the single biggest factor for most people on how much they enjoy their mobile devices. Lightness is also a very nice feature for a casual user. 

I've got a Surface 3, and its got more than enough CPU and disk space for use as a video machine, and its battery life has been very very nice. Though I'm not as fond of its utter lack of connectivity or is tiny key board. My work machine I always feel like I need to tether up, which, wholes it's more than powerful enough to use as a desktop replacement, the thing weighs a tonn and a half. 

Also, if it is low cost you worry less if something happens to it, and it costs less to get her a new one a few years from now. Given the use case your describing, she will get more enjoyment from receiving a new $250 laptop every couple of years than one fire breathing monster every 5-10 years. 

That's largely why I'm recommending you get her the modern equivalent of a netbook, that's got only enough processor and ssd space to hold what she needs and keep things running for a few years. This is one of the few cases where less really is more. (Just make sure to get one that looks sleek and clean, even if it does cost less than your keyboard. )