Best way to clean the pc

IIIl

compressed air or a handheld vacuum for an empty case with NOTHING in it

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me (聽@Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards聽//聽Forum Quickstart Guide聽//聽Floatplane聽//聽Forum FAQ聽// TheParrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread聽who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE聽Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽........:oo:........

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o聽 聽 聽 聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽.''''''''''''''.

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN聽 聽 聽 聽|聽 聽PARTYON聽聽|

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy聽 聽 聽 聽| ,............'

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s聽聽|/

聽 聽 聽 Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

聽 聽 聽h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

聽 聽 聽m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

聽 聽 Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

聽 聽mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

聽 +++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

聽``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

聽++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Air compressor is the best, but obviously not available to all.聽

Canned air and a small (unused) paint brush is typically what I use for cleaning electronics. The paint brush is good for getting up bits of dust that won't come off with the air alone.聽

Be careful with air compressors tho, they do have moisture in them, so let your hardware air out a little before putting it into something air-thight. ;)
I use my vacuum cleaner but on blow only.

As the vacuuming of dust might 'charge' the plastic by all the dust sliding in the plastic聽hoses, and can give a nasty static shock.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

its not a suck, its a blow.... and hold your fans still while you blow them.聽 (Of course it's outside when you do it.)聽 you can scrub the fins with a toothbrush, and blow.聽 I don't like air cans, cept in an rare situations.聽If that's all ya got, go for it.

1 minute ago, F___M said:

its not a suck, its a blow.... and hold your fans still while you blow them.聽 (Of course it's outside when you do it.)聽 you can scrub the fins with a toothbrush, and blow.聽 I don't like air cans, cept in an rare situations.聽If that's all ya got, go for it.

Try cleaning 25 computers in a day. Hahahaha you'll be dizzy before the 2nd.
But stepping outside is a good tip. :)聽I might need to do that more often.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I use air compressor and/or canned air, I don't recommend using vacuum as it can build up static electricity charge. When using compressor to clean the computer hold the fans still so you don't damage those, with power supply I usually insert zip tie trough the fan to keep it from spinning.

vacuum cleaner with the nozzle a few inches from any components (don't touch anything as the plastic and the hose can charge with static electricity from the friction with air)

compressed air to blow air over the areas you want cleaned (the vacuum cleaner will suck the dust) ... and you can use an esd safe brush to clean dust off fans, from heatsinks... here's some examples: https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Plastic-Brushes-Cleaning-Keyboard/dp/B01BD8NFKY/

again careful with the compressed air - if you're too close you may break off some surface mount components... and some compressors have poor water filters and may even spit some of the oil that seals the chamber that compresses air.

CPU Coolers I usually just take off, remove fan and just clean dust off with water, dry it out with a hair dryer or naturally if i'm not in a rush,聽 then remove paste with isopropyl alcohol from cpu and cooler and apply new paste.

Nowadays it's usually not a big problem to spin the fans with the air pressure from compressor... in the past fans didn't have "protections' built in so you could spin fan too fast and send high voltage into the motherboard. It's not really a problem these days anymore.

Still, it's a good idea to prevent fans from spinning when blowing air.

I take apart and wipe with a paper towel but that's mostly because I聽like taking my time.

As mentioned, compressed air worked well.聽

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Linked these yesterday, always worth revising.:

:)聽Just don't try to clean anything under voltage.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

I use a 1200psi pressure washer, cleans the diodes, resistors and capacitors right off the motherboard, then I tumble dry it in the clothes dryer.

Seriously, I use compressed air. 聽

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X聽with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler聽
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb聽Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

I use my home vacuum.聽 I use the attachment, duct tape and 3 bendy straws (use duct tape to reduce attachment nozzle down to diameter of 3 bendy straws for ultimate suction and ability to reach into all the crevices.

I do this with components not under any power and ground myself actively whilst doing so.聽 Never have had a component have an issue with this.聽 And my shit looks CLEAN when Im done.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.聽聽

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock,聽Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO聽NVMe聽Win 10 boot drive,聽500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD,聽CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.聽

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Main Desktop:CPU - i9-14900k聽|聽Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4聽|聽GPU- ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090聽|聽RAM- Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz聽|聽AIO- H150i Pro XT聽|聽PSU- Corsair RM1000X |聽Case- Phanteks P500A Digital - White聽|聽Storage- Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB聽 |

TV Streaming PC:聽Intel聽NucCPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage聽- 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4- Phantom Black 512GB |

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, RafaelSoaresP said:

One that compresses air

very funny 11/10

I use a hair dryer set on cold air mode.

A PC Enthusiast聽since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE聽GTX 1660 GAMING OC聽@ Core聽2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Canned air works, but it has聽denatonium benzoate added to prevent huffing. This can make surfaces that get spread tasted super bitter and is able to be taste in the parts per million.聽

I use this instead. Works great and takes like 30 seconds to blow out a case:聽
https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=computer+duster&qid=1570354105&s=pc&sr=1-3

haven't spent money on cans in over 5 years.聽

Be sure to聽@Pickles von Brine聽if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty聽jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD聽

• 4 weeks later...

need to hold all fans? they can't go both directions right?