FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

On 4/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, Rem0o said:

Haven't found any API to do so. Only alternative right now: https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.HWInfo.

However, just curious, does the core temp correlate somewhat with the memory junction temp?  If so, why not simply targeting the core temp instead?

Downloaded from AppVeyor, copied all 4 files into the plugins folder, installed HWiNFO 32 bit (which has unlimited shared memory), and restarted FanControl. But I don't see any of the junction temps. Is there anything else I'm missing?

EDIT: Fixed. For anyone wondering - had to "unblock" all the .dll and plugin files inside the FanController and plugins folders. This is for Windows Server 2019

Got this up and running on my Asus Z390-F motherboard with an EVGA 3080 FTW3.

Great work, and thanks!

On 8/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Rem0o said:

Well you are out of luck. Maybe you got something like AI suite or armory crate running? Manufacturer's software sometime can cause issue also.

Hello,

No, no other software running... Gigabyte software is trash and I removed everything. Well, too bad - I really like FanControl. Thanks for trying to help anyway 🙂

1 hour ago, AlainF said:

Hello,

No, no other software running... Gigabyte software is trash and I removed everything. Well, too bad - I really like FanControl. Thanks for trying to help anyway 🙂

Hi

Just a quick update - I downloaded a tested ArgusMonitor and this tool is able to control my case fans just fine, which leads me to suspect an issue in FanControl.

Hi,

thanx a lot for the tool.
I want to buy new hardware but i cant cause speedfan doesnt work anymore. 😞
Havent tested it yet but will do the next days.

I've read about randomly black screens and other problems.
To minimize bsods/black screens or other things which can cause a loss of data on hdds, how about a "Fan Control HDD Lite Edition".

The only thing it does is read all smart temps and assign them to the Fans.
So that all other things that can cause problems are untouched.

I personally don't need CPU, GPU, System, etc Fan control.

Only an absolute stable and secure solution for keeping my hdds at ~30°C. 🙂

I still remember the time where speedfan freezed AMD CPUs.
So i get a little bit in panic when i read this here:
https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases/issues/302

Thx.

5 hours ago, thomaz said:

I've read about randomly black screens and other problems

FanControl is a one-size fits all solution that interact with your hardware. With so many possible hardware combinations, drivers, OS versions and so on, problems for some users are inevitable. Now, if you got a mostly standard and recent system on Windows 10, you shouldn't have problems.  If you do, just delete it, restart, and move on, it won't break anything permanently.

how about a "Fan Control HDD Lite Edition".

That's a hard no. No editions, no custom solution or compile for any specific user, that's a maintenance nightmare. If anything, I already have the option to enable/disable HDD sensors to avoid hard drivers spinning up every time FanControl queries something. Could extend that into a dialog to enable/disable any hardware category.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, AlainF said:

Hello,

@Rem0o would you be interested to receive any detailed logs or system information to allow you to "debug" this, or is there no time? I am happy to help with anything I can regarding this setup. Thanks!

Another question.

Does it detect the SMART Values of Hard Disks in Intel Raid Mode?

You have to use some special way to get the SMART Values of Intel RAID Disks.

For example Speedfan and Crystal Disk Info can get the Values but some other SMART Tools not.

8 hours ago, AlainF said:

@Rem0o would you be interested to receive any detailed logs or system information to allow you to "debug" this, or is there no time? I am happy to help with anything I can regarding this setup. Thanks!

Well there is nothing to debug really.  Fans are detected, commands are sent, mobo just don't react to them. The only thing I can think of in your setup that could cause issue is the fan controller with your case. I would bypass that and plug directly into the mobo.

Tested FanControl now and yeah, looks very very good 🙂

I was able to control all 4 Fan Connectors.

With speedfan it where only 2.

ATM there is only a Samsung SSD in my Test Rig (via INTEL RST) but i didnt found any Temp for it in the Sensors Section.

Having a weird issue where reported temps are wildly incorrect. Nearly all the GPU temps from HWiNFO sensors are incorrect but they are correct in HWiNFO itself.

Fan Control v91
HWiNFO32 7.06-4500

2.PNG

5 hours ago, goodtimeshaxor said:

Having a weird issue where reported temps are wildly incorrect. Nearly all the GPU temps from HWiNFO sensors are incorrect but they are correct in HWiNFO itself.

Fan Control v91
HWiNFO32 7.06-4500

2.PNG

Ain't got time to investigate right now, might be a change in HWInfo. If you are handy with C#, code is open: https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.HWInfo

Hi everyone, I ran into a version 91 bug.

When I activate my computer after the suspension, I get this:

immagine.thumb.png.3ed779ec3ae0509d70d4573936e7e26b.png

I press Ok, it asks me to refresh, but the situation does not change. I have to close and reopen the program, then everything is fine.

my system consists of:

AMD 3700X

MSI X570 Unify

EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA

Hi, I've downloaded the software from the github page but when I go to run FanControl.exe, Windows Smartscreen blocks it. Is this normal behavior?

On 9/4/2021 at 9:53 PM, Flight1700 said:

Hi, I've downloaded the software from the github page but when I go to run FanControl.exe, Windows Smartscreen blocks it. Is this normal behavior?

Yeah. Its an "Unknown Publisher" only probably. If thats the only problem windows has its most likely safe. 

Btw... dont let random strangers on the internrt tell u what to downlaod and run. Its up to u how you feel about the situation and how you decide but i can only say that the software doesnt cause any problems for me ;)

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

@Rem0o in the event that there are issues with windows 11, could we expect fixes, or is 10 still the only development platform going forward?  Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, chebsy said:

@Rem0o in the event that there are issues with windows 11, could we expect fixes, or is 10 still the only development platform going forward?  Thanks. 

Have not played with 11 yet, will see when it's out. AFAIK, support from 10 to 11 is no different.

@Rem0o Firstly big thanks for awesome software. Find many times good softwares control my fans like i want and after Speedfan not find any solution. Your software looking very very good and working nicely this first week with my pc. I allready give little donation via paypal for thanks this software development.

One question:

If you do Graphic fan curve.

Then you want get totally direct line on horizontally. Of course you can try modify that line totally right with your eyes, but think is there any shortcut key or something like that how you get totally horizontally direct line. 

Attachment picture i have 3different horizontal lines, but they are just adjust with eye and other end that line is maybe little bit under versus other end. Not big problem, but just think to ask if there is allready some shortkey or something like that to solve this problem 🙂

ffffff.png

----------------

EDIT1: Other problem sometimes when i restart / start my PC, i get this same message what couple messages up:

immagine.thumb.png.3ed779ec3ae0509d70d4573936e7e26b.png

After i click OK and after that click refresh everything work like a charm. FanControl is configured start with windows automatically if that change something. Just think is there any tip or trick to avoid this situation.

@lassivv

Well, you can use the values in parentheses around your cursor to get a a precise value in. However, if you got a really small delta between two points, it doesn't matter, as the curve is rounded to 8 bit values afterwards in the driver.

Ok good to hear. Then i think that rounded part is ok. 

I need to try get some pattern when that error message comes restarting PC. Maybe that is something FAncontrol exe starting too early and sensors not ready or something like that.

I am a blender user and do regularly heavy rendering and want to use the radeon pro drivers but fan control doesnt get any sensors when doing that. 

Is there any possible fix or is this just the driver that got some stupid limitation

5700XT btw

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

2 hours ago, rafe_28 said:

I am a blender user and do regularly heavy rendering and want to use the radeon pro drivers but fan control doesnt get any sensors when doing that. 

Is there any possible fix or is this just the driver that got some stupid limitation

5700XT btw

What do you mean Fan Control doesn't get any sensors? You mean for your Radeon Pro card or all sensors (CPU, motherboard.... ).

After several Hours of work, display went Black/White.

At the beginning i used V91.

Then i switched to a fresh V92 and it ran through the Calibrations (This was Displayed) but then still Black/White Screen.

I'm not able to reboot my Box atm  because of a large Copying Process which will remain for 5 Hours.

When i go with my Mouse through the empty Space sometimes somthing show up like "Fan Control #1"

Asus H370 TUF Gaming

I7-8700k

16GB Ram

Nvidia 1050 Ti

Latest Win 10

All Drivers are 1-2 Weeks old.

EDIT !!!:

My Display Device was powerless and due to this not detected by Windows.

I then still use the box via VNC.

When i powered and turned on my Display Device again Fan Controls Display came back.

I have similar problems with Oculus VR Gear too. Some VR Apps only work with a connected/detected Display.

EDIT2 < MOST IMPORTANT!!!:

Now again. Made my Display Device powerless and Fan Control Display is gone again.

Is Fan Control drawn by some special kind of 3D Display Renderer?

If yes then please make the display drawn like Speedfan, Explorer, Firefox, etc.

I think i'm not the only one who uses a Box without a connected Display via VNC, etc.

Video capture of my VNC Window while powering on my Display Device:

FanControlNoDisplay.jpg

21 hours ago, thomaz said:

Is Fan Control drawn by some special kind of 3D Display Renderer?

Yes, it's a WPF app, which uses DirectX to render the UI (hardware accelerated).

It's a known issue that directx doesn't work through remote connections.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, Rem0o said:

What do you mean Fan Control doesn't get any sensors? You mean for your Radeon Pro card or all sensors (CPU, motherboard.... ).

It doesnt get temp readouts from my gpu. Using the normal adrenaline drivers it does

Spoiler