FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

Lower temperatures means your processors can do more work in a second. Try the strongest preset curve in BIOS and see how you feel about it. If it's too loud, decrease the fan curve or buy more fans so that the fans don't have to rotate as fast, thus reducing noise. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

4 hours ago, Randomguy1234325 said:

no, i just want my PC to perform better

If you don't care about noise, just set the fans to always max and forget about it.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

On 11/23/2023 at 1:00 AM, RevGAM said:

Run it through VirusTotal. When I downloaded it from github.com earlier this year, my AV didn't detect anything. 

thank you. downloaded again after removing my previous install by deleting the Fancontrol folder(I hope there is no W10 registry entries???) and also removing the Task scheduled in Windows.
no virus found this time and the Updater pops up comes in normally as it was before so that problem solved.

Now unfortunately I am having a new and bad one. This is maybe niche for users here so I hope the developer can help.

I play PCVR, mostly Simracing titles like AMS2, ACC, RF2. Since I reinstalled Fancontrol, and this might have been the case before,I am getting microstutters and those with the 3 headsets I won(Quest2, Pico Neo3Link and P4)

its perceived with the Q2 and P4 and somehow annoying but I can live with that at the moment, but with the Neo3Link its just unbearable. You can see in the screenshot the spikes I am getting as an evidence, in VR its terrible feeling

Any guidance how I could fix that because the workaround I found and why I am writing here, is that by switching Fancontrol Off, the Games are butter smooth again

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_com.picovr.picostreamassistant_2023.12.03-06.17.36.860_166[1].jpeg

What's the latest word on Gigabyte's X570 and X670 motherboards with 2 chipsets ?

Is Fan Control still not able to detect and control some of the fans like before ?

On 12/12/2023 at 8:01 AM, SuperStreetFighter said:

What's the latest word on Gigabyte's X570 and X670 motherboards with 2 chipsets ?

Is Fan Control still not able to detect and control some of the fans like before ?

FanControl actually does not control anything. The HW access is completely done by LibreHardwareMonitor (and of course possibly some plugins for other devices). As soon as Libre has support for those fans my assumption would be that they become automatically controllable in FanControl as well.

ok VR stutter fixed😀

@Rem0othanks so much for spending the time to feedback me on Github. as suggested, moving GPU sensor from LHM to NVAPI did the trick

image.png.968cd727b173c73122133f68cf065e77.png

On 12/14/2023 at 5:29 AM, NJoe said:

FanControl actually does not control anything. The HW access is completely done by LibreHardwareMonitor (and of course possibly some plugins for other devices). As soon as Libre has support for those fans my assumption would be that they become automatically controllable in FanControl as well.

Thanks for explaining it better as I'm not an expert in this, but I did figure out a very simple solution that makes me feel pretty dumb for not realizing it sooner, just plug everything into the sensor that actually works !

The one Fan Control reads and works with is the ITE - IT8689E which has more than enough plugs for your needs, you got CPU, CPU_OPT, System1, System 2, System 3, so plug everything into those and you're good to go !

So for anyone with Gigabyte X570 or X670 boards, that's your solution

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what I should configure in Asus X470 motherboard so it don't fight for control over the case/CPU fans? I got no other software in Windows that configures fan speeds (except MSI AB which I have given exclusive control over the card's fans)

FC is able to detect and adjust fan speed but it only kicks in after a very long delay like 5 seconds. FC default of ramping 8% every seconds, ends up ramping 8% every 5 seconds.

There is no option in BIOS to have it relinquish the fan curve in Qfan control. I have tried to manually set a flat curve at 40% but in FC the fans keep gravitating to 40%

3 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

Anyone know what I should configure in Asus X470 motherboard so it don't fight for control over the case/CPU fans? I got no other software in Windows that configures fan speeds (except MSI AB which I have given exclusive control over the card's fans)

FC is able to detect and adjust fan speed but it only kicks in after a very long delay like 5 seconds. FC default of ramping 8% every seconds, ends up ramping 8% every 5 seconds.

There is no option in BIOS to have it relinquish the fan curve in Qfan control. I have tried to manually set a flat curve at 40% but in FC the fans keep gravitating to 40%

Fan Xpert is annoyingly possessive of fans. Once activated, it does NOT like to relinquish control. Which version of FX are you using? I recently reinstalled Armoury Crate to handle LEDs on an annoying fan I was testing and noticed that they've made some significant changes to AAC that may reduce the problematic behavior of the software. If you haven't updated Armoury Crate in general and FX in specific, I would try doing that first. Also, don't use AI Suite as it requires disabling memory protections that can leave your system vulnerable to certain attacks. If upgrading AAC and FX doesn't help, I would suggest fully uninstalling everything using the clean uninstallers available from Asus as Windows is NOT able to fully uninstall the MotherboardFanController program that's part of FX. If, after uninstalling, you still see that program in task manager, make sure to disable it in startup items, end task on it and restart. That SHOULD keep it from causing more trouble. After that, you can reinstall AAC but do NOT run the auto-setup in Fan Xpert and just avoid using that app unless you want to experiment and see if it's no longer acting like malware in regards to fan control. After that, Fan Control should be usable. That is your goal, right?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Fan Xpert is annoyingly possessive of fans. Once activated, it does NOT like to relinquish control. Which version of FX are you using? I recently reinstalled Armoury Crate to handle LEDs on an annoying fan I was testing and noticed that they've made some significant changes to AAC that may reduce the problematic behavior of the software. If you haven't updated Armoury Crate in general and FX in specific, I would try doing that first. Also, don't use AI Suite as it requires disabling memory protections that can leave your system vulnerable to certain attacks. If upgrading AAC and FX doesn't help, I would suggest fully uninstalling everything using the clean uninstallers available from Asus as Windows is NOT able to fully uninstall the MotherboardFanController program that's part of FX. If, after uninstalling, you still see that program in task manager, make sure to disable it in startup items, end task on it and restart. That SHOULD keep it from causing more trouble. After that, you can reinstall AAC but do NOT run the auto-setup in Fan Xpert and just avoid using that app unless you want to experiment and see if it's no longer acting like malware in regards to fan control. After that, Fan Control should be usable. That is your goal, right?

I have never installed AI Suite or Armoury Crate... only the chipset network audio and USB drivers

My fans are gravitating to the speed set in the BIOS. It is very obvious because the speed % they gravitate to, changes accordingly when I alter the curve in BIOS.

There is no other software running in Windows that is competing for fan control. I am not going to shoot myself in the foot

18 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

I have never installed AI Suite or Armoury Crate... only the chipset network audio and USB drivers

My fans are gravitating to the speed set in the BIOS. It is very obvious because the speed % they gravitate to, changes accordingly when I alter the curve in BIOS.

There is no other software running in Windows that is competing for fan control. I am not going to shoot myself in the foot

Great! That makes it easier!

So, if I understand correctly, FC CAN control the fans, but there's a delay and a tendency for the fans to still follow BIOS. Is that correct? Does your mobo have the ability in the Q Fan Curve area of BIOS to be disabled?

What settings have you tried altering in FC?

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

So, if I understand correctly, FC CAN control the fans, but there's a delay and a tendency for the fans to still follow BIOS. Is that correct?

Yes

Does your mobo have the ability in the Q Fan Curve area of BIOS to be disabled?

There isn't. I doubt any motherboard vendor will allow this because they don't want to be liable for damage to the CPU

13 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

...There is no option in BIOS to have it relinquish the fan curve in Qfan control. I have tried to manually set a flat curve at 40% but in FC the fans keep gravitating to 40%

What settings have you tried altering in FC?

I have tried setting the hysteresis to 1s/1degree and fan ramp speed to 100% per second, to see if this would eliminate the delay in applying its target speed. But it has no effect. Force apply also changes nothing.

10 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Yes

There isn't. I doubt any motherboard vendor will allow this because they don't want to be liable for damage to the CPU

I have tried setting the hysteresis to 1s/1degree and fan ramp speed to 100% per second, to see if this would eliminate the delay in applying its target speed. But it has no effect. Force apply also changes nothing.

That's strange. It's like there's something preventing FCs full control. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with FC, so I'm afraid I can't help any further. I'm sorry.

Hi,

I'm new here.

I've tried to check if there was post with a similar issue than mine in this topic using the searchbar, but the only one I've seen is about using HWInfo in parallel of FanControl, and is not my case.

I've an issue with my system:

MotherBoard : MSI TomaHawk Z790 Wifi DDR5

CPU Fan : 2xBeQuiet Light wings PWM High speed (Daisy chain) connected to the MB CPU Fan PWM connector (AIO PureLoop 240)

CPU Pump : BeQuiet PureLoop connected to the MB CPU Pump PWM connector

Case Fan : 4xBeQuiet Light wings PWM each one connected to a different connector of the MB (Sys FAN 1;3;4;5)

Generally all the Fan/Pump works fine and each Fan/Pump speed can be read in BIOS, HWInfo or MSI Center with correct values.

Closing both HWInfo and MSI Center in Windows I'll then launch FanControl and start the "Assisted setup" of the sensor, I can hear every single fan start to speed up to 75% when requested but for all the Fan/Pump listed above the setup result is the same:

< No speed sensor reacted to control sensor "name of the fan" >

That's really strange bacause as I said in the BIOS or in Windows using HWInfo or MSI Center the speed are visualized without any issue.

Any idea of where can be the problem?

Thanks.