FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

On 6/14/2021 at 5:40 AM, nolive721 said:

Nobody here with Asrock B550 motherboard using this software?

For me I had to use the BIOS fan tool to recognize my fans with matching speeds one time.

Maybe you could try this?

thanks so much. just to be sure I understand clearly, you set up in BIOS each connected fan through the ASROCK Fan toll then boot into windows, then open Fancontrol and all the fans were controllable?

or did you reboot without opening Fancontrol in windows, rest the fans in the BIOS as default then boot into windows and launch Fancontrol?

sorry if that sounds dumb, just want to be clear before trying it.

thanks again

oli

Got this sensors missing error after upgrading from V81 to V83!

I even tried V82 but it didn't work either so I went back to V81

I have a b550 aorus pro ax, R5 3600, MSI core liquid AIO and an RX 470.

Screenshot (27).png

3 hours ago, Rem0o said:

@Meeena any log.txt you can dm me?

Sure. I'll send it right away! Thanks 🙂

On 6/15/2021 at 2:44 PM, nolive721 said:

thanks so much. just to be sure I understand clearly, you set up in BIOS each connected fan through the ASROCK Fan toll then boot into windows, then open Fancontrol and all the fans were controllable?

or did you reboot without opening Fancontrol in windows, rest the fans in the BIOS as default then boot into windows and launch Fancontrol?

sorry if that sounds dumb, just want to be clear before trying it.

thanks again

oli

I don't exactly know the asrock bios but if it is similar to the asus bios there should be a tool/option to auto tune the fans.

After doing this and than setting them manually back to standard profile and pwm control I was able to set everything as needed.

Hope this helps.

This program is just what I was looking for as I can't control my fans via BIOS. Still I have a problem with my CPU fan.

I'm using a MSI h110m gaming motherboard with an AIO water cooling. The pump is conected to Sys Fan1, the CPU fan to CPU Fan1 (there is no CPU Fan2) and my additional case fan to Sys Fan2.

I can control whatever fan is conected to Sys Fan2 (Case fan) but not when conected to CPU Fan1. It doesnt matter the value I set it's allways running at or near 1630 RPM.

In case this helps to set something up: The case fan is a 4 wire fan and the CPU fan is a 3 wire fan. Both are the same size so I should be able to plug the 4 wire one to the CPU radiator and use the 3 wire one as case fan.

1179165946_FanSpeed.thumb.png.9aab4818d20a9bf1aa126288d1cbe18b.png

On 6/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, Rem0o said:

@Pgunrah  I updated LHM ( the backend driver ) in V81 and it seems like they changed a bunched of stuff I didn't catch.   Made a V82, should run smooth for now.

I updated and it seems to all be working fine again!

Thanks again for this wicked bit of kit. Doing the lords work.

@Rem0o just picked up v84 today, it's working great, thanks.

I just have a question out of pure curiosity, why does the interface cause mouse lag?  It almost feels like I'm using a VM.  It doesn't affect performance or usability, it's just something I wondered about.  Thanks for your time.  

@Rem0o Great Software. Thanks.

But I have a little problem since V83 und 84. I control some fans with the temperature of my SSD, which was fine until V82. But with versions 83 and 84 this no longer works. The sensors of the SSD and HDD only show 0 °C.

image.png.1d3120ab2877edab9c37013ec85e388a.png 

image.png

image.png.ba46cd943687bef0b667f8a950ffe4fb.png

Seems like V85 update trigger this lol. vanguard has been blocking this for a while now after some googling. does V85 start making use of this sys file?

After updating to V85 FanControl does not start anymore.

Also does not start with disabled antivirus.

Okay seems to be a problem with the HWinfo Plugin.

Can you please recompile a new version?

Okay - fixed it.

@Rem0o I've been using your awesome software since november 2020 and everything worked perfect but some weeks ago I swapped my gpu form a Gigabyte 2060S to a sapphire rx6800xt and i have not been able to control the fans on the gpu (on MSI afterburner i can control them) like i used to do on the 2060S.

I can identify the correct fan and see the fan rpm in FanControl but when i set a value or a curve for the fan it do not work.

Any suggestion? thanks a lot

@Black095 The AMD driver used to control and monitor the cards is not well maintained and up to date. Newer cards were never supported AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

@Black095 The AMD driver used to control and monitor the cards is not well maintained and up to date. Newer cards were never supported AFAIK.

Didn't know about that

thanks for the reply

I love this program and thought I had it figured out. I have the paid version of both programs and the memory sharing was working great until 85. If I try to run the HWINFO plugin the program does not start. I also just updated my ROG x570 to the 4002 bios which fixed alot of issues. Could there be a conflict? I am pretty smart and Icannot figure out how to download another version from appveyor. Is it a command line thing? 

On 6/28/2021 at 4:30 AM, Reavermaster said:

After updating to V85 FanControl does not start anymore.

Also does not start with disabled antivirus.

Okay seems to be a problem with the HWinfo Plugin.

Can you please recompile a new version?

Okay - fixed it.

How did you fix it? I am having a hard time recompiling the "solution". I am a little slow somwtimes though.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, Doomy said:

@Rem0o Great Software. Thanks.

But I have a little problem since V83 und 84. I control some fans with the temperature of my SSD, which was fine until V82. But with versions 83 and 84 this no longer works. The sensors of the SSD and HDD only show 0 °C.

@Rem0o The new Update V85 solved the Problem. Thank you very much for the quick help.

@Rem0o

So I noticed when I take manual control of something and set it to 100% I can't get even close to the RPM of what it was when I let my mobo take control of the pump/fans am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue for newer hardware?

23 minutes ago, ethicks said:

@Rem0o

So I noticed when I take manual control of something and set it to 100% I can't get even close to the RPM of what it was when I let my mobo take control of the pump/fans am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue for newer hardware?

Had the same Problem - please read my posts of the last few pages how I fixed it on my Asus x570 board.

1 hour ago, Reavermaster said:

Had the same Problem - please read my posts of the last few pages how I fixed it on my Asus x570 board.

appreciate the tip @Reavermaster, it led me to the answer.  I did what you said in bios and it didn't change anything, but then I realized that armoury crate was probably the culprit.  Lo and behold when I set armoury crate to max speed it fixed the issues entirely.  I'm not sure how to fix this on non asus boards but I imagine it would be something similar with either software in bios or some auto fan controller superseding fancontrol.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:24 PM, ethicks said:

appreciate the tip @Reavermaster, it led me to the answer.  I did what you said in bios and it didn't change anything, but then I realized that armoury crate was probably the culprit.  Lo and behold when I set armoury crate to max speed it fixed the issues entirely.  I'm not sure how to fix this on non asus boards but I imagine it would be something similar with either software in bios or some auto fan controller superseding fancontrol.

Manufacturer's software never cease to amaze me, in the worst way possible.

edit: it hasn't done it in 5 days so far, so maybe the problem is gone.. I'm glad but still wary of those few times it did happen in front of my eyes. maybe it's a fresh install bug that clears up and stops happening after the first time lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, I've been watching since release in preparation of upgrading to a new platform that speedfan wouldn't work on. way back then I used the software and it had a bit of an issue where sometimes the fan speeds would just not update. like, 9 times out of 10 I'd run a synthetic bench and cpu temps would rise and the fan speeds would all rise as expected.. but every now and then it seemed to get stuck and just not raise the fans. the temps would go up but no fan speed increase - just stuck wherever it randomly got frozen at.

I have since done that upgrade to an asus x570 mobo and unfortunately the issue is definitely still present as ever. I just ran a benchmark that pinned my cpu to 87 instantly, climbing higher and higher to 90 where the benchmark tool eventually just shut down because it hit the temp limit. It's happened twice total today during setup, but it hasn't happened since interestingly enough. I'm worried it's going to do it randomly while I'm playing a game and just crash me to desktop after it hits 100 C without me realising the fan hasn't spun up.

One quirk I noticed: when it happened last time, the temp raised and raised until the benchmark tool quit out automatically, and then as the temperature lowered it seemed to latch on again and grab the fan speed properly and ramped it up instantly to where it should have been on the way down to idle temps.

I'm not sure how to reproduce the issue as it seems *extremely* random. do you have any ideas as to what it could be? can you think of any screenshots I can grab for you that might help diagnose it, or log files?

Edited by DeSinc
issue I talked about in post hasn't happened in almost a week so I think it's gone maybe