FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

5 hours ago, Rem0o said:

It does allow?
image.png.17db7e8b79c7aa0cc56ff97d6c6bc5bc.png

The UI will let you set it, but even after saving, after restart it defaults to 70C when you go back it to check it. Idle temp 'sticks', but load temp does not. 

Really like the new Auto feature.  It's doing a great job at holding my GPU at 82 which is where I want it.  Let me know if you need me to test anything.  Also, what is deadband? Thanks.

Ok since this new card allows for more platform agnostic sharing, does anyone think they can improve my Ampere GPU setup?  It basically holds the fans steady at 82c, and then when unloaded it cools down to 60c before turning the fans off.  

spacer.png

Wonderful stuff.  I was able to control my GPU fan (ASUS Radeon RX580) by GPU temperature, so I'm halfway there.

But none of the MB (ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus) fans or sensors show up so I can't control the chassis fans by GPU temperature.

Do I need to turn off the BIOS fan controls or is my board just not supported?

Hi Rem0o, I've got a small feature request.

Would it be possible to have an option to entirely hide the icon in the system tray? I've set up the FanControl curves and used it without changing anything for months, and I never use the icon in the tray, so I'd love the option to just hide it.

Hi Rem0o,

My graphics card has two 4-pin fan headers, which can control fans independently of the regular graphics card fans. In my case it's an Asus card with a Strix cooler. I think most Strix cards have these headers.

However, the controls for these fans does not seem to be identified by Fan Control, or the likes of MSI AB. I have only been able to control these "external fans" via "ASUS GPU TweakII", which I'd rather not have running. HWiNFO does detect the fans though, under a sensor called "ITE IT8915FN", bundled together with the VRM temp (see screenshot). Also, don't know why this sensor appears twice, lol.

Would it be possible to have Fan Control detect these fans and be able to set the PWM value for them?

image.thumb.png.e4cfcc3b1fd593e924dbcec12bcbe18f.png

HI @Rem0o With the addition of the subtract custom sensor, I would like to create a curve/graph based on Delta T (Water Temp - Ambient), however the lowest temperature available for the graph is 20°C - Might you be able to consider reducing that to 0°C in your next update? I would be looking to create a curve between 0°C and 15°C, for example. I was going to try this whilst I wait for the minimum temp on the Auto (Beta) option to be looked at - in fact this might be better/safer for me in any case.  

Once again, thanks again for your awesome efforts. It is quite amazing how this has grown from when you first started - it is absolutely unmatched, as far as I am concerned!

Happy New Year to you! 😃

20 hours ago, InterClaw said:

Hi Rem0o,

My graphics card has two 4-pin fan headers, which can control fans independently of the regular graphics card fans. In my case it's an Asus card with a Strix cooler. I think most Strix cards have these headers.

However, the controls for these fans does not seem to be identified by Fan Control, or the likes of MSI AB. I have only been able to control these "external fans" via "ASUS GPU TweakII", which I'd rather not have running. HWiNFO does detect the fans though, under a sensor called "ITE IT8915FN", bundled together with the VRM temp (see screenshot). Also, don't know why this sensor appears twice, lol.

Would it be possible to have Fan Control detect these fans and be able to set the PWM value for them?

ASUS GPUTwerk II and III are the worst, almost criminally incompetent pieces of trash I've seen.  Allowed my ASUS GPU on an ASUS motherboard to hit 80°C without bothering the fans after specifically programming a custom curve.  You have to wonder why any company would put forth the effort to publish it.

Which is why I'm here.  At least my GPU fan now works.

Hello Rem0o,

I am coming back to your software after quite few months of not testing it because the "competitor" I was using did not like very much recent Windows updates.

I am all set and good to go in order to manage my CPU AIO and GPU as well as the few Chassis fans I have in my case. You really nailed it now I must say it is very UI friendly but quote powerful in the depth of settings available now.

One question though, do you have any Plan to add more than just one temperature in the Tray icons? I would love to have CPU, GPU and NVME values accessible at a glance.

thanks a lot!

Exceeds expectations.  Does everything I want and more. Highly recommended.  I registered on this forum just so I could post this here.  Worth my PayPal donation and then some.

Dark Hero/5950X/custom loop/enough Noctua 3000RPM fans for the system to take flight.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:55 PM, Danawasalreadytaken said:

Wonderful stuff.  I was able to control my GPU fan (ASUS Radeon RX580) by GPU temperature, so I'm halfway there.

But none of the MB (ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus) fans or sensors show up so I can't control the chassis fans by GPU temperature.

Do I need to turn off the BIOS fan controls or is my board just not supported?

Bump.  Does anyone know if the ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus is supported?  Or am I missing something else?

33 minutes ago, Danawasalreadytaken said:

Bump.  Does anyone know if the ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus is supported?  Or am I missing something else?

Asus has an "EC Sensor" that is currently not supported by LibreHardwareMonitor and so is not supported by FanControl. This prevents some temperature sensors from being used as a source on Asus boards.

See here:

https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor/issues/282

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Hi guys, I have a Gigabyte Gaming X B550 V2 Mainboard, with a Ryzen 3 3100. I have tried many apps to monitor the fan speeds, the only one that seems to be able to access them is Gigabyte's own SIV. HWInfo64 DOES see them... SpeedFan, Argus and FanControl (by @rem0o on these forums) do not see any fans at all except the GPU Nvidia 1070 one. Does my MoBo use some wierd sensors, unknown to the wider world? Has anyone used FanControl with this Mobo?

Where can I find "the list" of mainboards/chipsets known to work with FanControl?

Hello!

Ive been using FanControl for a while and i love the concept and how the app works! I just keep having some annoying issues. First off, when i start the application i get all thoose "Sensor Missing" and "Fan missing" messages, but i press refresh a few times and it goes away. But i can live with that tbh.

But the main issue is that the fans seems to stop updating randomly. Most of the times its working as intended, but sometimes my case fans either dont spin up when they suppose to or they get stuck at 30% - 40% when they are suppose to stop.

I have setup the case fans to stop completely when either CPU or GPU is at idle temps. I have both CPU and GPU curve setup in a "Mix" fan curve.

Most of the time the fans is stopped while windows start (as i set them up in the bios) then when FanControl starts they go to either 30% or 40% even if both curves says they should be 0 rpm. I then usually go set both curve to flat 100% then right after i put a flat 0% curve to make them stop and them i switch back to my regular "Mix" curve. Its a bit of a fiddle to be honest.

Anyone knows why the fans would behave like this?

EDIT: Maybe i should have mentioned that im running the case fans in DC mode without "Smart" checked in my MSI BIOS. Running them in PWM mode makes it impossible to for them to stop and they dont go under 40%. I could stop the exact same fans in PWM mode on my old ASUS motherboard so i guess its something with the MSI board?

sds.png

6 hours ago, m0rphaza said:

Running them in PWM mode makes it impossible to for them to stop and they dont go under 40%. I could stop the exact same fans in PWM mode on my old ASUS motherboard so i guess its something with the MSI board?

Stopping a fan with PWM can be finicky. If you don't know, that PWM pin is sending a signal to the fan that looks like this:

image.png.b135add463a1e3f1142a2503272fdbfd.png

The more narrow the pulse, the lower the fan speed. In order to stop a fan in PWM mode, you would need to send an infinitely narrow pulse, or simply stop sending pulses to it all together. But when you stop sending pulses it becomes impossible for the fan to tell whether it's connected to a 4 pin fan header with an "off" PWM signal, or if it is connected to a 3-pin fan header at 100% voltage (since in PWM mode the voltage pin is always at 12V or 100%). In order to get a fan to stop in PWM mode, you would also need to shut off the voltage when the PWM signal is 0. Your old Asus board could do this, but your new MSI board for whatever reason cannot.

Concerning your other issues, have you tried configuring the delayed start with Windows option?

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME

BigBox (HTPC):

• GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads

NAS:

• Synology DS216J

Hi every1. Just created the acc since i've been using and recommending this for a while. AMazing piece of software @Rem0o THANK YOU!.

And im back with a feature request/idea.

Ryzen in 7nm have fairly high thermal density if you coming from an old 14 or 12nm intel or ryzen. The thing is, just to add insult to injury, the boost makes it much worst. So we are given with 2 situations. High temps because high load and high power consumption, and high temps because of the boost behaviour and increased thermal density under light loads, making it almost impossible to tune curves based on temps, especially on the higher end parts, since there is more and more disparity between min and max boost, sometimes going over 1ghz of difference.

Just for reference, my 5900x under fixed 800rpm and same ambient temp peaks  just above 80ºC, with 20% cpu load and 90-100w of power consumption, and 100% load and 160w power consumption.

Idk if it's possible, but a graph based on CPU package power would bring back the ability to tune a scaling RPM curve, since based on temperature, it's pretty much uselless.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:10 PM, m0rphaza said:

Hello!

Ive been using FanControl for a while and i love the concept and how the app works! I just keep having some annoying issues. First off, when i start the application i get all thoose "Sensor Missing" and "Fan missing" messages, but i press refresh a few times and it goes away. But i can live with that tbh.

But the main issue is that the fans seems to stop updating randomly. Most of the times its working as intended, but sometimes my case fans either dont spin up when they suppose to or they get stuck at 30% - 40% when they are suppose to stop.

I have setup the case fans to stop completely when either CPU or GPU is at idle temps. I have both CPU and GPU curve setup in a "Mix" fan curve.

Most of the time the fans is stopped while windows start (as i set them up in the bios) then when FanControl starts they go to either 30% or 40% even if both curves says they should be 0 rpm. I then usually go set both curve to flat 100% then right after i put a flat 0% curve to make them stop and them i switch back to my regular "Mix" curve. Its a bit of a fiddle to be honest.

Anyone knows why the fans would behave like this?

EDIT: Maybe i should have mentioned that im running the case fans in DC mode without "Smart" checked in my MSI BIOS. Running them in PWM mode makes it impossible to for them to stop and they dont go under 40%. I could stop the exact same fans in PWM mode on my old ASUS motherboard so i guess its something with the MSI board?

sds.png

In bios, use the smart mode, and make sure each fan port is configured according to the fan you have connected to them, be they PWM or DC. Otherwise they will freak out, just like it happens to you.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

But when you stop sending pulses it becomes impossible for the fan to tell whether it's connected to a 4 pin fan header with an "off" PWM signal, or if it is connected to a 3-pin fan header at 100% voltage (since in PWM mode the voltage pin is always at 12V or 100%).

This is very interesting. Could he maybe solve this by instead of setting 0% PWM, set 5% PWM or something like that, i.e. below the threshold for the fan to actually spin? This way you can have your cake and eat it too. The fan is effectively stopped, but still gets the pulse, so the fan behaves like it should.

Just an idea. 🙂

22 hours ago, tks1991 said:

a graph based on CPU package power

I suggested this a while back and Rem0o replied with this.

1 hour ago, InterClaw said:

Could he maybe

This is a problem with your motherboard, not with this software.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

Roxanne (Wife Build):

BigBox (HTPC):

NAS:

• Synology DS216J

On 1/9/2022 at 7:01 AM, tks1991 said:

Just for reference, my 5900x under fixed 800rpm and same ambient temp peaks  just above 80ºC, with 20% cpu load and 90-100w of power consumption, and 100% load and 160w power consumption.

Idk if it's possible, but a graph based on CPU package power would bring back the ability to tune a scaling RPM curve, since based on temperature, it's pretty much uselless.

I too would love the capability to create a curve based on wattage, in the meantime, the best workaround I found was to use HWiNFO "Core Temperatures", as this averaged temperature scale much closer to the CPU package power.

CoreTemps.PNG

PowerTemps.PNG

@Sid Vicious @tks1991 @InterClaw

Fan curves based on power consumption is a false good idea. Trust me. You think temps are erratic? Take a look at a power consumption graph. Also, a single core boost doesn't consume that much power, but results in really temps.

There is no point in trying to "catch" those brief 1-2 seconds temperature spikes, as it takes that much time at least to ramp up your fans anyway, and maybe 3-4X that time for that speed increase to take effect on temperatures.  If you find those spikes too high for your liking, increase your idle fan speeds. No other amount of fan tuning will fix it, you'll have to invest in a bigger cooler with a higher thermal mass.

I've tuned a FanControl setup with a 3900x with a fairly underpowered cooler and was able to make a fairly decent FanControl config for it.

Temps are indeed very erratic in their behavior depending on boost on these CPUs.

Solution? A higher that I usually like minimum fan speed, combined with an average custom sensor with the CPU relevant sensors + time average custom sensor over 3-4 seconds. 
The following screenshot is an example I just made on an Intel computer to showcase what it looks like:

image.png.53b8c54f394c3d564d574ba2448b45f6.png

On 1/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

This is a problem with your motherboard, not with this software.

For sure! And therefore maybe a little OT here. I was just suggesting a workaround for @m0rphaza so I should probably have quoted them instead. 🙂 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, InterClaw said:

This is very interesting. Could he maybe solve this by instead of setting 0% PWM, set 5% PWM or something like that, i.e. below the threshold for the fan to actually spin? This way you can have your cake and eat it too. The fan is effectively stopped, but still gets the pulse, so the fan behaves like it should.

Just an idea. 🙂

Fans will not go under 40% in any way so wont work 😞 

Been trying different settings and trying to figure out a way to make this work for a few days now but it seems like my situation is because my new motherboard isnt having the same feature as my old ASUS motherboard.

You think buying a brand new Z690 board would have all the features, but seems like it doesnt for some super strange reason 😄 Im just gonna run my case fans as DC for now and the CPU radiator fans as PWM since its im not stopping them ever anyway. Not optimal and dont really like it but i dont really feel like changing motherboard or buying a seperate fan controller if im not 100% sure i can set it up like i want 😄 

Its a really big surprise to me that so many people run all of their fans all the time when we have such advanced speedstep features and such nowadays. I just assumed all motherboards had this feature to stop fans and that all fans had the possibility to go 0 RPM 😄 Well, at least i learned a few new things...

Fan Control seems to work much better also last days for some strange reason. Not had any situation with fans not following the curve tbh! Im not touching any more settings now 😄