FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

i just downloaded it and windows told that this might be harmful to my pc, is that normal^

4 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

i just downloaded it and windows told that this might be harmful to my pc, is that normal^

It didnt tell me so. If its only complaint is that it has no known publisher an dwindows defender says its its fine i'd probably do it if i downloaded it from a legit looking Website or its a well known one. Tho its your pc you need to know wjat you execute and might just wanna check twice if u got the right downlaod link

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

@Rem0oThanks a lot for this tool. It is exactly what I am looking for as Argus monitor keeps crashing on me while gaming.

Does anyone successfully integrate a temp sensor from HWinfo? I downloaded the plugin and copied all 4 files into the plugin folder, but somehow I do not see any new sensor pop up in the sensor list. Am I doing something wrong? Or are there more steps to get HWinfo sensors?

I am trying to couple a case fan to my RAM temperature which shows up in HWinfo but not on the original sensor list in FanControl.

1 hour ago, minhquan3105 said:

@Rem0oThanks a lot for this tool. It is exactly what I am looking for as Argus monitor keeps crashing on me while gaming.

Does anyone successfully integrate a temp sensor from HWinfo? I downloaded the plugin and copied all 4 files into the plugin folder, but somehow I do not see any new sensor pop up in the sensor list. Am I doing something wrong? Or are there more steps to get HWinfo sensors?

I am trying to couple a case fan to my RAM temperature which shows up in HWinfo but not on the original sensor list in FanControl.

HWInfo must be running in monitoring mode with shared memory on.

13 hours ago, Rem0o said:

HWInfo must be running in monitoring mode with shared memory on.

I did turn on shared memory. I get these readings for ram temp in MSI afterburner. 

By "monitoring mode", do you mean "sensor only" or "summary" mode? I tried both and none of them works. Or you mean something else?

Edit 1: Actually, I just open the log file, there seems to be a problem with the .NET framework. Here is the log:

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'FanControl\Plugins\FanControl.HWInfo.dll'  Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

FanControl.HWInfo.dll' ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

Edit 2: (potential fixed) After googling around a bit, the issue is now fixed by going into properties of 'FanControl.HWInfo.dll'  and check unblock to enable CAS. I can see all HWinfo sensors now in fan control!

5 hours ago, minhquan3105 said:

Edit 2: (potential fixed) After googling around a bit, the issue is now fixed by going into properties of 'FanControl.HWInfo.dll'  and check unblock to enable CAS. I can see all HWinfo sensors now in fan control!

Perfect! Glad you figured out the issue.

@Rem0o I have a bug to report: if one temperature graph is reading as N/A due to being disconnected, like for example me removing and/or replacing my GPU for testing or transferring between PCI slots, all fan speeds that use that graph will completely cease to function until you correct the issue and re-select a sensor for the graph. The program also doesn't open up and warn you about this, which resulted in me bluescreening due to CPU overheat as my fans were running at minimum speed and not spinning up because of the N/A sensor. The other two sensors should have been pinning the fans to 100%, but because the GPU was included in the mix mode option the fan speed readout was just "N/A" and the CPU fans were stuck at 10%.

Ideally, worst case scenario I'd like to see an error pop up even if the program is minimised to tray, and perhaps if possible, perhaps a more rigorous sensor detection method to pick up the GPU if I happen to unplug it or move it to another slot or something. for example, if the sensor has the exact same name, maybe assume it's the same sensor and pick it up.

Hi @Rem0o, fyi: v86 is supposed to have a "more robust sleep/wake routine" (for me, it always worked flawlessly in that regard). However, the update has had pretty much the opposite effect on my system. FanControl is now always closed after waking up from sleep mode.

(The log file has not logged anything at all since June 22th despite FanControl running everyday, so nothing to report here)

If someone else is experiencing this, it might be worth looking into.

8 hours ago, v3locite said:

Hi @Rem0o, fyi: v86 is supposed to have a "more robust sleep/wake routine" (for me, it always worked flawlessly in that regard). However, the update has had pretty much the opposite effect on my system. FanControl is now always closed after waking up from sleep mode.

(The log file has not logged anything at all since June 22th despite FanControl running everyday, so nothing to report here)

If someone else is experiencing this, it might be worth looking into.

Lemme guess, Ryzen CPU? That's not caused by the sleep/wake itself, but any refresh will cause this. Latest LHM Is bugged (yet again). I got a fix coming.
Starting to get tired of unstable/bugged PRs being merged in there. Since I can't test all the hardware, I'm pretty much updating blind.

10 hours ago, DeSinc said:

@Rem0o I have a bug to report: if one temperature graph is reading as N/A due to being disconnected, like for example me removing and/or replacing my GPU for testing or transferring between PCI slots, all fan speeds that use that graph will completely cease to function until you correct the issue and re-select a sensor for the graph. The program also doesn't open up and warn you about this, which resulted in me bluescreening due to CPU overheat as my fans were running at minimum speed and not spinning up because of the N/A sensor. The other two sensors should have been pinning the fans to 100%, but because the GPU was included in the mix mode option the fan speed readout was just "N/A" and the CPU fans were stuck at 10%.

Ideally, worst case scenario I'd like to see an error pop up even if the program is minimised to tray, and perhaps if possible, perhaps a more rigorous sensor detection method to pick up the GPU if I happen to unplug it or move it to another slot or something. for example, if the sensor has the exact same name, maybe assume it's the same sensor and pick it up.

Nice catch. Will add the following things:

NaN value curves applied to a control will result in 100%.

If an error occurs while restoring the config and the app is minimized, the app window will come up.

8 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Lemme guess, Ryzen CPU? That's not caused by the sleep/wake itself, but any refresh will cause this. Latest LHM Is bugged (yet again). I got a fix coming.
Starting to get tired of unstable/bugged PRs being merged in there. Since I can't test all the hardware, I'm pretty much updating blind.

Spot on, Ryzen 3700X. That is unfortunate, I was unaware... Thank you for providing a fix nonetheless.

Hello! 

I love the program, its amazing! Everything work fine however  i just copy the hwinfos files in tot the plugins but i see every sensor or there is more sensor?. I have the hwinfo on my pc. Wake up with windows just the perfect program what i need. 🖖
The only thing that i missing that to put more sensor on the tray not just one i used to put the cpu motherboard gpu to out.

My motherboad asrock b450m pro4, ryzen 3 1200 cpu, sapphire r9 290x gpu. 

@Rem0o bug report: I suspect from the latest change with setting fans with NaN sources to 100%, now whenever you change a graph, as soon as you let go of the mouse to update a point on the graph all fans using that graph spin up to 100% momentarily. not a big issue in the slightest but it gets a bit much to adjust fans and every click you do to move a point around on the graph the fan quickly whooshes up to 100% and I figured you'd like to know about it.

side question: did I read correctly that you can install a plugin to read sensors from different monitoring software? I noticed my chipset sensor is not available in this iteration but wondered if there was a way to read sensors from different monitoring software. I ask because HWinfo for example shows my chipset on-die temperature whereas the sensor readout I have in Fan Control only shows the motherboard's indirect readout which can be quite inaccurate (between 9-14 degrees celsius off!)

23 hours ago, DeSinc said:

@Rem0o bug report: I suspect from the latest change with setting fans with NaN sources to 100%, now whenever you change a graph, as soon as you let go of the mouse to update a point on the graph all fans using that graph spin up to 100% momentarily. not a big issue in the slightest but it gets a bit much to adjust fans and every click you do to move a point around on the graph the fan quickly whooshes up to 100% and I figured you'd like to know about it.

side question: did I read correctly that you can install a plugin to read sensors from different monitoring software? I noticed my chipset sensor is not available in this iteration but wondered if there was a way to read sensors from different monitoring software. I ask because HWinfo for example shows my chipset on-die temperature whereas the sensor readout I have in Fan Control only shows the motherboard's indirect readout which can be quite inaccurate (between 9-14 degrees celsius off!)

Again, nice catch, will look into it, probably an easy fix.

Update: @DeSinc  the graph resets when a points change, do it goes to NaN for 1 cycle which the control will catch and max out. WIll keep the last value instead of going to NaN for 1 cycle.

For HWInfo sensors => https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.HWInfo

Hello there!

How is that happens that here https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.DellPlugin there is plugin for dell laptops and at same time app fails with NVAPI_NOT_SUPPORTED but here https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases/issues/287#issuecomment-877197521 you say:

"notebook" is the key here, those are not supported.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, chebsy said:

@Rem0o just picked up v84 today, it's working great, thanks.

I just have a question out of pure curiosity, why does the interface cause mouse lag?  It almost feels like I'm using a VM.  It doesn't affect performance or usability, it's just something I wondered about.  Thanks for your time.  

It was windowed-mode G-sync that was causing this.

@Rem0o On my Asrock Z490 Taichi, the fan controls all randomly change everytime the program is started making it impossible to really use the app. Not really sure what's going on when it scans devices but it doesn't seem to remember them properly.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

@Rem0o

After updating to v88, all my fan curves are gone. If I check the userConfig.json they are still there, so it's not a big of a deal to make new ones.

Is it a known behavior or is it a bug? If it's a bug, where would you like me to upload the logfile?

Edit: reverting to version 87 brings the profiles back

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

App is shaping up pretty nicely from its beginnings. I do have one annoyance with way how fan hysteresis is controlled by most apps and even BIOS-es.

Fan hysteresis should have 3 parameters:

- temperature

- response

- speed change period

What makes fan speed changes annoying is how quickly they happen. If you put heavy load on CPU with current FanControl parameters of 2°C and 10 sec response, it'll not do anything for 10 seconds and then instantly increase fan speed to 100%.

By adding "speed change period" (we can figure out a shorter name later), it would define how long it should take between detection and target fan speed. What this does is the following:

If you put heavy load on CPU with parameters of 2°C, 10 sec response and 10 sec "speed change period", it would take 10 seconds to detect the change and then it should gradually increase fan speed from current point to where it should be across 10 seconds period.

What this gives you is control over how long it takes for fans to ramp up. I could change response to 1 second which would mean on CPU load it would kick in after 1 second and then take 10 seconds to gradually reach target fan RPM.

The importance is on change being gradual within the defined "speed change period". You can still set it to 1 second to achieve instantaneous fan ramp up after response time runs out. Or you can further extend it to take 30 seconds to gradually increase fan speed.

However, because response time is much lower, it would often detect temperature drops (if CPU load is gone already) before finishing the speed change period, meaning it would stop increasing fan speed and apply the same fan speed drop. This way if there is short CPU load, it wouldn't ramp up fans much if at all.

I hope this description makes sense to you. If not let me know and I'll try to figure out how to explain it in a different way.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Fan hysteresis should have 3 parameters:

- temperature

- response

- speed change period

What makes fan speed changes annoying is how quickly they happen. If you put heavy load on CPU with current FanControl parameters of 2°C and 10 sec response, it'll not do anything for 10 seconds and then instantly increase fan speed to 100%.

By adding "speed change period" (we can figure out a shorter name later), it would define how long it should take between detection and target fan speed. What this does is the following:

If you put heavy load on CPU with parameters of 2°C, 10 sec response and 10 sec "speed change period", it would take 10 seconds to detect the change and then it should gradually increase fan speed from current point to where it should be across 10 seconds period.

this isn't exactly the same thing as you're asking, which could have some use, but there is currently a fan ramp speed limiter included in the actual fan control UI element itself, the one in the top row of controls. if you expand out the little down-arrow in the fan-block that you want to modify, there is an option called Step up and Step down with percentages that you can define. This allows you to set a max percentage change per update period for any given fan.

this option is only currently settable for each fan individually, not for individual controls, so you can't have the same fan step up both 5% per second for one control and 50% per second for another, which your way of doing it would allow you to, but it at least lets you set a rate limit which might be all you need.

@Rem0o

Ok, though that's a bit difficult to predict how long it'll take than inputting total time you expect it to take. But it's better than nothing. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Would be nice if main window would remember its position/size. Also any way to switch between profiles straight from tray icon? Would be cool if you could have presets set there for Silent and Normal and easily select between them depending on what you need.

Btw, is it normal that Hysteresis temperature and Response only has + button but not the - button in the curve editor? I can only increase it, but to decrease it I have to manually edit the number by clicking on it.

Some petty requests...

- Can you please round the curve RPM percentage to a round percentage without any decimals? Just pointing at different part of the movable dot shows different percentage and it's revving up my OCD hard. Just make it 30% instead of 29,9% or 30,2%... There is just no point in having such precision for fan RPM percentage.

- Please add ability to begin the fan curve at 0 point (20°C). You can currently only begin the fan curve at 21°C and I really don't like the always present cut in the beginning of the graph this creates.

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Some petty requests...

- Can you please round the curve RPM percentage to a round percentage without any decimals? Just pointing at different part of the movable dot shows different percentage and it's revving up my OCD hard. Just make it 30% instead of 29,9% or 30,2%... There is just no point in having such precision for fan RPM percentage.

- Please add ability to begin the fan curve at 0 point (20°C). You can currently only begin the fan curve at 21°C and I really don't like the always present cut in the beginning of the graph this creates.

I agree with these feature requests but could you prioritise mine cause mine are better 🙂

1. ability to click + or - to slide a graph left or right along the temperatures like speedfan had. i.e. ability to set the top and bottom temperature range of graphs. so a graph can start at 23 or 31 or 44 and end at 55 65 78 or wherever you want it to end. this might be a hard one but I really really used to use this a lot as right now the graphs look like cramped walls that go from 0 to 100 in the space of 10 pixels because of the temp range being so small.

2. I'm not sure if this is fixed or not (seems ok so far in latest release 89 I think) but ensure donate button doesn't come up if you have in fact donated. not sure what method of detection you use but it didn't work correctly on ver 87 at least. not a big deal but just a bug I thought you might like to know about

@Rem0o