FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

1 hour ago, Rem0o said:

Manufacturer pre-made towers are never supported AFAIK.

Thank you for the response!

@Rem0oI saw it mentioned in your latest video that you can write out data to a .sensor file for use in Fan Control. I'd love to know how to do this because I have a water temperature sensor that isn't being picked up by default (seems like a LibreHardwareMonitor issue that's been raised), but the sensor is being read by HWInfo. So, I'm hoping I can somehow stream the data from HWinfo to the .sensor file?

@Rem0o Hi again. I'm using your tool nearly one year now, and it's absolutely great. I have one feature request. Would it be possible to add the sensor data of the Corsair H80igt watercooling-system? I can see the sensor data in HWiNFO64, so it thought it would be maybe possible to use it also in your tool. That would be so great, because then I could delete the corsair link software and use only your tool for all the temp-controlling. Because now my case-fans are connected to the temps of CPU. But I think it would be smarter to connect them to the temp of the water.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 060857.jpg

2 hours ago, GrumpyNarf said:

@Rem0o Hi again. I'm using your tool nearly one year now, and it's absolutely great. I have one feature request. Would it be possible to add the sensor data of the Corsair H80igt watercooling-system? I can see the sensor data in HWiNFO64, so it thought it would be maybe possible to use it also in your tool. That would be so great, because then I could delete the corsair link software and use only your tool for all the temp-controlling. Because now my case-fans are connected to the temps of CPU. But I think it would be smarter to connect them to the temp of the water.

Screenshot 2021-02-14 060857.jpg

HwINFO is closed source, I can't see how they do it. The only piece of software that might do it is https://github.com/liquidctl/liquidctl but it's in Python and FanControl is .NET.

I understand. Do you think, that there is maybe another way to get the sensor data somehow into your tool?

I may have found a slight oversight, it's winter and my cpu core temp can read 0°C when my pc hasn't warmed up yet, this for some reason makes the fans spin at 100%. I've got it set to a graph fan curve from 0%->100% fan speed. I don't know if it's worth investigating but thought it was worth mentioning. Setting the example temperature to 0°C also makes the fans go at 100% so if someone could test that and see if it's not just a me thing.

Edit: came up with a workaround for now see img

Screenshot (434).png

Edited by Nescor21
workaround found

11 hours ago, Nescor21 said:

I may have found a slight oversight, it's winter and my cpu core temp can read 0°C when my pc hasn't warmed up yet, this for some reason makes the fans spin at 100%. I've got it set to a graph fan curve from 0%->100% fan speed. I don't know if it's worth investigating but thought it was worth mentioning. Setting the example temperature to 0°C also makes the fans go at 100% so if someone could test that and see if it's not just a me thing.

Edit: came up with a workaround for now see img

Ah! Right now 0 deg is seen as "no value", so it defaults to the maximum fan speed possible from the fan curve until a value (> 0) is detected. Just curious, aren't you scared of condensation and humidity freezing and stuff?

15 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Ah! Right now 0 deg is seen as "no value", so it defaults to the maximum fan speed possible from the fan curve until a value (> 0) is detected. Just curious, aren't you scared of condensation and humidity freezing and stuff?

"no value" Thought it might be something like that.

It's only happened twice when my window was opened and I then turn my pc on. Condensation shouldn't be an issue unless it's quite humid as well which it isn't, I think, I hope. 

Question: can you control the fan of a psu like corsair rm650i with this? 

because that would be super cool as the icue software just doesn't work right - can't save to hardware so it always has to run,  at least once after startup (weird ?) And also the minimum fan speed is 40% even though this is a zero fan mode psu, so just a dumb restriction in software... 

err, I mean I just wanna know if rmi hardware is supported by fan control? 

Edit: well I tried, it doesn't work on my board I guess... would still be curious if it supports stuff like psu fans?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hi, 

I extracted the zip-file and ran the exe, but the window/GUI simply stays blank?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.18fc9578722685e5badd72cc792d0d91.png

When I try to exit it, it does give me a prompt to save my current config:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.597fcb3bb543b82f0922cda41ffcebaa.png

Am I doing something wrong? Looks like I'm the only one who's had this issue so far.

I am running this on a remote computer through Teamviewer though. The computer runs win10.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

I see you were waiting for version 69 to post in here eh? :^)

jokes aside I've been using this for the fans in my custom loop for a while and it works nicely. GJ

Quick question - I have donated in the past, and also hit cancel/don't remind (forget which pops up) every time I restart. But it still asks me to donate every time I restart my computer. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

1 minute ago, 2222 said:

Quick question - I have donated in the past, and also hit cancel/don't remind (forget which pops up) every time I restart. But it still asks me to donate every time I restart my computer. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

If you click the "donate" button in the popup, it saves a state where it won't show it anymore, even if you don't actually donate.

Wanted to say this software looks great.  Very nice job supporting it for so long also.  I do have one question and I think I know the answer, but I figure I will ask anyway.  I have a 2500K running on a Biostar TP67B+.  If I tell the bios or it's Toverclocker software (doesn't have much of any features) to Disable Smart Fan control they run at 100% if I put it on auto they run at their min.  Libre Hardware Monitor nor your GUI seem to be able to control the fan speed.  The Fan Control will go from 0 - 100 percent, but the rpms will not change.  I assume this is a Libre Hardware lib issue that is beyond your control.  However Augus and I believe I ran speed fan a few years back both can control the fan speed.  Do you know what they are doing different, or is it that they just support this MB and Libre Hardware Monitor doesn't.  Either way I will keep this software in mind for when I upgrade.

Just... THANK YOU! This is so clean, easy, and well made.

I will donate ASAP.

Hello, I registered to thank you for this amazing software. I particularly love the target temperature feature.

I have an issue though. I've managed to tune everything except the GPU. I have a Vega 56 Pulse and the fans completely ignore whatever I tell them. It's like they don't receive any input from the program. The same thing happens with Afterburner. For some reason only OverdriveNTool works. With that I can even set the fan speed lower than 29% (you can't go lower than that with wattman for some friggin reason).

Any idea what the cause could be?

1 hour ago, Enry21 said:

Hello, I registered to thank you for this amazing software. I particularly love the target temperature feature.

I have an issue though. I've managed to tune everything except the GPU. I have a Vega 56 Pulse and the fans completely ignore whatever I tell them. It's like they don't receive any input from the program. The same thing happens with Afterburner. For some reason only OverdriveNTool works. With that I can even set the fan speed lower than 29% (you can't go lower than that with wattman for some friggin reason).

Any idea what the cause could be?

To put it politely, AMD driver documentation and support is trash, so support by hardware libraries is following suite.

I thought it was something like that, that's unfortunate. Thanks anyway and keep it up!

EDIT: VERSION 70 FIXED MY PROBLEM 🙂

Fantastic replacement for Speedfan (Which never really worked properly anyway)

I've got a couple things set up the way I like them.
However I run into the issue that it's missing some control sensors on startup.
This can be resolved by simply closing the program in the notification area, and then rebooting it.
Afterwards the program works as intended.

But having to do this every time I boot does get slightly annoying. also it isn't expected behaviour of the start on boot.lc3bM3y8zd.png.93410440f8738c3b26efcd82e202146d.pngThis is the error I get when I open it from the notification area.
Here is how it's supposed to look.
FanControl_ycswuXDL81.thumb.png.1786f2595ff7b7b5406c06d448b4673f.png

And this is what it looks like after I click the refresh option. All the motherboard controllers seem to be missing.
FanControl_DxIpskjPR6.thumb.png.889f652307bae0c5f65ea308cc34dc11.png

The system is this:

Asrock X570 Taichi.
Ryzen 9 3900x.
Asus Strix 1080 Ti.

Thanks for the effort you've put into this software and I hope you can give me some insight into the problems I've run into.

Edited by 8811sPiNzCoBrA

@Rem0o hey, love the software, been using it for a few weeks and the UI and features are so much better than everything out there. 

Ran into trouble this morning though. After installing an MSI Afterburner update, fancontrol no longer opens. I can't imagine it's related to the install, but I can't seem to fix the issue. I've tried using DDU to wipe and reinstall the nvidia drivers as well, and I've downloaded the newest version 69, but nothing seems to happen even when trying to run the program as administrator. My fans seem to be running at a bare minimum speed likely set by my bios, and the app doesn't appear in the tray.

Seen this issue before? Any advice?

edit....as with person above, latest version (70) fixed the sensor reading problem. All is back to normal

The software is glorious! Thank you for doing that.

Also I have some idea for the next version, is up to you if you make it. You know some fans have problem to start from zero to let's say 20% speed. They can maintain that speed when going from higher values but can't start up from standstill. Some option to boost start, set the fan to 100% for a second when it was 0% then continue with curve settings. It would be nice and unique because I haven't seen that in any other software. Cheers

5 hours ago, R1cky said:

The software is glorious! Thank you for doing that.

Also I have some idea for the next version, is up to you if you make it. You know some fans have problem to start from zero to let's say 20% speed. They can maintain that speed when going from higher values but can't start up from standstill. Some option to boost start, set the fan to 100% for a second when it was 0% then continue with curve settings. It would be nice and unique because I haven't seen that in any other software. Cheers

Start % and stop % does exactly that.   Just set start % to the "boost" you need, and stop the lowest % it can maintain while spinning.

Hello!

What a great tool I was looking for! I was using Dragon Center but too buggy and to try doing the configuration from the bios is not confortable as I had to go back to windows to check the fans and temps behaviors.

One question from my side, I have an offset on the CPU temperature between Fancontrol and AMD Ryzen Master. When on AMD Master the CPU temp is at 35-36°C, fan control is showing 46-47°C. (I have the same  problem with Dragon Center and OpenHardwareMonitor).  The offset seems not linear.

Do you know how can I solve this problem? Maybe the software or myself is not pointing at the correct temperature sensor or source.

MB: MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon

Proc:  5900x

Thank you for you help

Edit: I have restarted my system and now I notice new temperatures sources (I think I did not noticed them)

Core (Tctl/Tdie) the one I selected which is too high)

CCD1 (Tdie)

CCD2 (Tdie)

CCDS Max (Tdie)

CCDS Average (Tdie)

Which one would you recommend me? CCDS Max or CCDS Average?

Thanks a lot