FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

Holy crap I've been looking for a way to sync my case fans to my GPU for ages! My GPU fans sound like an airplane and I've wanted to lower them and use my better sounding Noctua case fans instead. This is awesome and works like a charm, just what I wanted! Thank you for making this!!!

I've been having a strange issue with FanControl recently. I'm running:

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI B450i Gaming Plus

GTX 1070 (OEM reference)

16GB Corsair RGB DDR4-3000 overclocked to 14-17-17-38

Custom EK Fluid Gaming watercooling

My config looks like this:

image.thumb.png.84867638c2581b78175259cee2134ba7.png

Every once in a while, usually under light load, the CPU temp curve will randomly ramp to 100% for a few seconds and then ramp back down. The measured CPU temp doesn't change, nor does the point on the graph, but the % reading in the bottom left goes to 100 and the fan ramps up to max. Any idea what might be causing this?

12 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

I've been having a strange issue with FanControl recently. I'm running:

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI B450i Gaming Plus

GTX 1070 (OEM reference)

16GB Corsair RGB DDR4-3000 overclocked to 14-17-17-38

Custom EK Fluid Gaming watercooling

My config looks like this:

image.thumb.png.84867638c2581b78175259cee2134ba7.png

Every once in a while, usually under light load, the CPU temp curve will randomly ramp to 100% for a few seconds and then ramp back down. The measured CPU temp doesn't change, nor does the point on the graph, but the % reading in the bottom left goes to 100 and the fan ramps up to max. Any idea what might be causing this?

The only reason I can see in the code is if your sensor goes blank or the value it returns is invalid. In such case, the curve will default to the max value to protect your components.

Just now, Rem0o said:

The only reason I can see in the code is if your sensor goes blank or the value it returns is invalid. In such case, the curve will default to the max value to protect your components.

I can try to get a screenshot of it next time it happens-- none of the sensor values seem to be missing or anything.

Hi Rem0o,

Do you have any plans on open sourcing this on Github?

4 hours ago, Devedse said:

Hi Rem0o,

Do you have any plans on open sourcing this on Github?

If I ever stop working on it, probably. But don't forget that this is only a UI built on top of an already open-source project, which is the important bit.

There's no secret sauce to this whole project.

Thank you very much for this wonderful piece of software Rem0o. I've been using FanControl since version 13 or something like that.

Unfortunately it looks like the sensor detection does not work as well as before on some startups. Just nothing shows up. If this happens I have to close the program and start it again, then it will work.

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

Hi there, great piece of software you made there.

One question though, with my GTX 1080, I had no issue stopping my GPU fans by setting the min speed to 0 % at 40 °C. However, with my RTX 3070 FE, setting the min speed to 0 % doesn't seem to work, the min speed stay to 30 % and the fans keep spinning (fan stop is the correct behavior of the card and supported by the FE).

Is it that one of the lib you're using isn't up to date with the lastest cards or is it a known bug? I know that the 30X0 series is quite new so I was expecting things to be rocky at first.

13 hours ago, Streght said:

One question though, with my GTX 1080, I had no issue stopping my GPU fans by setting the min speed to 0 % at 40 °C. However, with my RTX 3070 FE, setting the min speed to 0 % doesn't seem to work, the min speed stay to 30 % and the fans keep spinning (fan stop is the correct behavior of the card and supported by the FE).

Is it that one of the lib you're using isn't up to date with the lastest cards or is it a known bug? I know that the 30X0 series is quite new so I was expecting things to be rocky at first.

Edit: I'm dumb and didn't read the whole comment. 

I'm pretty sure it's because your 3070 doesn't allow fans to be completely off, some GPUs do that simply because the heatsink alone isn't enough to cool it.
My ROG 1070 dual slot GPU can run with the fans not spinning, while my MSI 1160 SUPER single slot can't.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:44 AM, Rem0o said:

image.thumb.png.a83cd924303b5eeaf1a28824b793703e.png

Can you tell anything from this?

Hi,

great software! I was using it on my old MB. Now I bought a new motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair Hero VIII WIFI and it does not detect the Chipset Fan or temperature. As this thing is anoying loud I would love to control it. Any chance to get it working?

All other fan headers are working in Fancontrol.

Thanks.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:00 PM, Grabhanem said:

Can you tell anything from this?

What's the response time / hysteresis on that left curve?

2 hours ago, Rem0o said:

What's the response time / hysteresis on that left curve?

2C hysteresis, 1s response time.

Updating to v58, Windows Defender immediately detects a threat related to Wacatac.B!ml. Appears to have something to do with FC's autostart integration. False positive?

fc.PNG

2 hours ago, v3locite said:

Updating to v58, Windows Defender immediately detects a threat related to Wacatac.B!ml. Appears to have something to do with FC's autostart integration. False positive?

fc.PNG

updated the libraries with new DLLs in V58, might be linked to it. False positive.

Hi, I've been using this software for 4 months and it's been brilliant for most of that time. Somewhat recently, ~1 month or so ago, it started interfering with Afterburner. Every time I change configuration, it resets my Afterburner fan profile to default trom user defined. My configurations on FanControl have the GPU fans disabled and hidden.

For additional info, I also have HWiNFO64 running permanently. GPU is an RTX 2080S, CPU is 3800X, X570 chipset.

Can this be fixed? Is it something my end?

Afterburner: 4.6.2

FanControl: all versions since 1-2 months ago

4 hours ago, crazycubic said:

Hi, I've been using this software for 4 months and it's been brilliant for most of that time. Somewhat recently, ~1 month or so ago, it started interfering with Afterburner. Every time I change configuration, it resets my Afterburner fan profile to default trom user defined. My configurations on FanControl have the GPU fans disabled and hidden.

For additional info, I also have HWiNFO64 running permanently. GPU is an RTX 2080S, CPU is 3800X, X570 chipset.

Can this be fixed? Is it something my end?

Afterburner: 4.6.2

FanControl: all versions since 1-2 months ago

Both software use the NVApi driver to set the fan speed of the GPU and WILL interfere. Let 1 software disabled as far as the GPU.

4 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Both software use the NVApi driver to set the fan speed of the GPU and WILL interfere. Let 1 software disabled as far as the GPU.

hello

i have the same problem with msi after burner i set a curve in after burner... and when fancontrol starts the fancurve in msi is disabled.... eventhought the GPU card is disabled in FanControl it always disable the fan curve of afterburner... as soon as i open my fan curve in afterburner they get reapplied again...

4 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Thanks. Like christizz says, my GPU fans are disabled in FanControl as well. Is there some other method to disable them than to turn the slider off?

37 minutes ago, christizzz said:

hello

i have the same problem with msi after burner i set a curve in after burner... and when fancontrol starts the fancurve in msi is disabled.... eventhought the GPU card is disabled in FanControl it always disable the fan curve of afterburner... as soon as i open my fan curve in afterburner they get reapplied again...

I will have to investigate. If the card is disabled, no "Set speed" is ever called, just tested, so something else might interfere. Luckily, I do have a Nvidia card on hand so I will do some further testing.

On 11/21/2020 at 2:02 AM, Streght said:

Hello RemOo,

Did you have time to read this ? Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks for your work.

@Rem0oI apologize if this has been asked before, but I think I am experiencing an issue with this software. It might have something to do with the hysteresis settings which I do not fully understand.

image.png

When all my curves are set to 0, the fans are still spinning. (Yes, the fans are capable of stopping, when I set it to a 0 curve)

If I turn the fan curve off & on for an individual fan controller, it then goes to its intended speed (i.e. 0%)

Thank you very much!

On 11/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, Streght said:

Everyone with a RTX 30XX have to same issue it seems like, so something must be new with these cards vs the 20XX. It must have something to do with the lib yes. I don't have such a card on hand though, sadly.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, Cleftin said:

@Rem0oI apologize if this has been asked before, but I think I am experiencing an issue with this software. It might have something to do with the hysteresis settings which I do not fully understand.

image.png

When all my curves are set to 0, the fans are still spinning. (Yes, the fans are capable of stopping, when I set it to a 0 curve)

If I turn the fan curve off & on for an individual fan controller, it then goes to its intended speed (i.e. 0%)

Thank you very much!

I can't see your config.

@Rem0o
Hi,

Firstly many thanks for this great little program, I've hit a bit of an issue and I hope you can help me:

I have an Aorus Z390 Pro (Gigabyte) Mobo with 4 Case Fans (all PWM and set as PWM in BIOS), when Matching Fans it works with the GPU, CPU but only 2 of the Case Fans. 2 Case Fans I'm not able to Match to a Control, any idea why this might be please?
In BIOS I have:
System Fan 1 - Matched in FC
System Fan 2 - Matched in FC
System Fan 4 - Unable to Match
System Fan 5/Pump - Unable to Match

I have tried Automatic Matching multiple times and also Manual Matching but nothing works for these two fans. I'm using the Flat 'Curve' to locate which fan is which by setting to 100%.

I've attached my Log & userConfig files,
Many Thanks

log.txt userConfig.json

fans.jpg

1 hour ago, Marc2077 said:

I have tried Automatic Matching multiple times and also Manual Matching but nothing works for these two fans. I'm using the Flat 'Curve' to locate which fan is which by setting to 100%.

For the controls that don't match automatically, when you set 100%, none of Fan #2 or Fan #3 increases in speed? If one of them do, simply do manual match, then click on the fan icon of the corresponding RPM card.