FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

18 hours ago, clutchmaster said:

also wpuld making the software not rely on rpm signal prevent this 

Well if your fan has no RPM signal, unmatch whatever fan you put on that control card.

Hi Rem0o,

I wonder if there is any update regarding the issue with FanControl overriding Afterburner's GPU fan control? FanControl is up to date but issue persists. Thank you.

Is it necessary to disable the BIOS fan controls (set to max speed) or does FanControl gracefully take over the fans when it runs, regardless of BIOS settings?

I know that back in the days with SpeedFan I had to disable mobo fan settings otherwise there was conflict.

The motherboard I currently use is a Gigabyte Z490, if it matters.

(Apologies if this was asked already, but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.)

9 hours ago, crazycubic said:

Hi Rem0o,

I wonder if there is any update regarding the issue with FanControl overriding Afterburner's GPU fan control? FanControl is up to date but issue persists. Thank you.

I can't reproduce the issue, I set a fan profile in afterburner, disabled the GPU control in fan control in two different profiles, then swaped back and forth between the two profiles and the config in afterburner was never changed.

4 hours ago, Dunn said:

Is it necessary to disable the BIOS fan controls (set to max speed) or does FanControl gracefully take over the fans when it runs, regardless of BIOS settings?

I know that back in the days with SpeedFan I had to disable mobo fan settings otherwise there was conflict.

The motherboard I currently use is a Gigabyte Z490, if it matters.

(Apologies if this was asked already, but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.)

There is no specific answer because each motherboard is different. Some gets overridden, some don't.

8 hours ago, Rem0o said:

I can't reproduce the issue, I set a fan profile in afterburner, disabled the GPU control in fan control in two different profiles, then swaped back and forth between the two profiles and the config in afterburner was never changed.

I see.. if it helps my GPU is Turing, and on driver branch 456. Latest Afterburner and FanControl. I tried deleting and recreating fan profiles in Fan Control and it still didn't help.

Hello everyone! 

Thanks OP for this great piece of software. GUI is great and easy to use. I still don't get a few things but I will get there eventually.

I have one question:

I am trying to set the case fans to follow the CPU and GPU temp as shown in the first tutorial that is available on YouTube, but the fans seem to react too fast even though I've set both the response times at 5 seconds.

Here are my current settings:

1.jpg.56e9bae97568aeee26cc61fca5808672.jpg

2.jpg.0d9760fd7137ba4ff208fbcb4a1fd138.jpg

I've pretty much followed the tutorial in the video, even the same names for the profiles lol, lack of fantasy, anyway:

- The goal is to keep the fans at minimum until the CPU/GPU start being under load (so, avoid changing the speed for short CPU temp spikes)

- The fans minimum is 17%

- If I set max the fans stay at 22% in idle conditions, or 19% if I set average

So I don't really understand where this is coming from (the 19 and 22%) and am also wondering why the fans seem to ignore the 5s response time and react faster tahn that, and also I would like to know what I need to change to make sure that my fans stay at 17% (lowest %) until I get 55°C or more on the CPU for more than 5 seconds.

Thanks!!

EDIT: I had a wrong setting and I realized after posting the screenshots, it's fixed now. But anytime the CPU spikes, despite having 5 seconds as the response time, I see the "Max: xx%" in the Case widget following the CPU-Case %. How do I prevent that? Seems like the response time is being ignored. What am I missing?

First of all a HUGE thanks to the OP for taking the time and effort making this and sharing it. Battle eye hates speedfan so it had to be laid to rest, it was a long time coming anyway. There was just not a viable option for a single function fan control. Until now! (argus monitor aside, good if you need monitoring etc beside fan control I guess.)

So I've been using the software for about 2 days now. (I'm the guy on youtube who thought it deserved a real name 😘). I have been trying my best to find faults with it and I've got nothing major to show for it. 🤘 It finds everything, sets up easy, no issues with waking from sleep, no issues with afterburner. Unlike fallout 76.... it just works!!! Not surprising really since I'm still on z97. (asus z97ar)

1685980874_DesktopScreenshot2021_01_01-04_15_45_63.png.c5e4a8220ae32522c53a381487b0d5f2.png

Since I couldn't find anything of substance to nag about, the only thing I think could be an improvement would be to have the "add fan-curve" button somewhere else where it's less in the way, like up beside the 3 dots as a drop-down menu. 🙃

Again, thank you so much for this. I'm poor as **** but the least I can do is buy you a beer. Cheers 🍺🍻

PS: The fan curve editor in dark mode doesn't have a white background in v61 which makes it hard to see the values.

1411731073_DesktopScreenshot2021_01.02-08_04_20_44.png.8097050b67550d713016fe42da3c31ca.png

14 hours ago, Diffracted said:

PS: The fan curve editor in dark mode doesn't have a white background in v61 which makes it hard to see the values.

1411731073_DesktopScreenshot2021_01.02-08_04_20_44.png.8097050b67550d713016fe42da3c31ca.png

You are right!! Upgraded the Material UI package, didn't notice that change 🤷‍♂️

Will go over the whole UI and apply the appropriate fixes.

hi @Rem0o your software looks great.

Could you add support for my mobo, the gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H it has the IT8728F controller. Works in speedfan and I would love to be able to use your software.

image.png.efdcbad4d40bf4570c81cbb9a6238f25.png

56 minutes ago, SteinarVtec said:

hi @Rem0o your software looks great.

Could you add support for my mobo, the gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H it has the IT8728F controller. Works in speedfan and I would love to be able to use your software.

Try and open a Pull request on LibreHardwareMonitor repo with your motherboard working. As for myself, I can't really help you since I can't test with your actual hardware.

Hello, when I start of FanControl, in the controls section it only shows two options Control 1 and 2 both for my Geforce 3070, but shows the speeds for case fans and cpu fan.

I have a Gigabyte Z390UD, I7 9700k, MSI RTX 3070

Screenshot 2021-01-04 202036.png

Hey, I have a Hybrid XC3 EVGA 3080 which has two sets of fans. 2 on the radiator (controlled by a single one master one), which go to 2000rpm, and a blower fan that goes to above 3000 rpm. The radiator fans are controlled correctly in terms of percentage, in that they will be at around 1000rpm at 50%. However, the blower fan will only be around 1000rpm at 50% too, even though it should in theory be at 1500rpm. Any idea why the curve on that fan is not behaving linearly? If I set it to 100% it does get to 3200+ rpm, and at 0, it goes to 0rpm.At 50 it's around 920rpm. Thanks! 

Hi, I really like the software, and when it works it's the best tool I've used for controlling my Case & CPU fans, but I have a frequent issue where the pwm fans I have curves set for will be stuck at 0 rpm while the fan control is active.

(in the screenshot CPU Cooler Fan & Front Intake Fan should both be 45% but as soon as I toggle that control on they drop to 0. The DC controlled Rear Fan seems to work all the time, even when the pwm ones don't.) 

This has been an issue since I started using the tool, but the frequency changes with different updates, as of ver. 61 & 62 it seems to happen about 90% of the time & the only fix is to reboot my PC and hope it works next time.  

image.png.629a0b69986b5fb757996b6fdf9214f2.png

fan_control_log.txt

Registered just to say thanks for this awesome software! Seems to work great on Ryzen 5800X / MSI Mag B550M Mortar.

Just some minor things I'm missing:

- The Mixer curves should allow any number of input fan curves, not just 2.

- There should be a mixer for temperature sources too allowing min/max/average of any number of temperature sources.

11 hours ago, keekoo said:

Registered just to say thanks for this awesome software! Seems to work great on Ryzen 5800X / MSI Mag B550M Mortar.

Just some minor things I'm missing:

- The Mixer curves should allow any number of input fan curves, not just 2.

- There should be a mixer for temperature sources too allowing min/max/average of any number of temperature sources.

I think you need to give examples of usage scenario, why you need it and your reasoning behind it.

If I'm understanding you right you're saying you want to be able to mix lets say CPU package temps with GPU temps, then choose the "mixed temp card" in the fan curve temp selection instead of a single temp source, then sending that fan curve to the fan control cards.

Something like this?

1540280775_DesktopScreenshot2021_01.11-02_30_25_39.png.4d2692e7424591101f0881a108f92f18.png

I mean, it makes sense. But other than reducing the number of fan curve sends you need I can't find a reason for it. Still not a bad idea though.

5 hours ago, Diffracted said:

I think you need to give examples of usage scenario, why you need it and your reasoning behind it.

If I'm understanding you right you're saying you want to be able to mix lets say CPU package temps with GPU temps, then choose the "mixed temp card" in the fan curve temp selection instead of a single temp source, then sending that fan curve to the fan control cards.

Something like this?

1540280775_DesktopScreenshot2021_01.11-02_30_25_39.png.4d2692e7424591101f0881a108f92f18.png

I mean, it makes sense. But other than reducing the number of fan curve sends you need I can't find a reason for it. Still not a bad idea though.

Yes, exactly like that but allow an arbitrary number of temperature sources in the temp mix.

The reasoning behind this is keeping the configuration clean and simple in case you have a lot of temperature sources. For example, an array of SSDs where you want to use the max temperature or multiple sensors on the motherboard that you want to average.

Everything can be achieved with the current way too by making a curve for each temp source and then combining them with multiple mixers... but with a large number of sources the config ends up being rather messy and making changes will be a chore.

12 hours ago, keekoo said:

Yes, exactly like that but allow an arbitrary number of temperature sources in the temp mix.

The reasoning behind this is keeping the configuration clean and simple in case you have a lot of temperature sources. For example, an array of SSDs where you want to use the max temperature or multiple sensors on the motherboard that you want to average.

Everything can be achieved with the current way too by making a curve for each temp source and then combining them with multiple mixers... but with a large number of sources the config ends up being rather messy and making changes will be a chore.

I do agree.   
I think there is a way to keep simplicity while allowing (2-n) configs for mix and temp source. I will look into it.

@Rem0o

Zero.jsonMax.json

I just noticed, one of my profiles doesn't touch my custom Afterburner fan curve.

Do you mind checking these out to see if there's something in these profiles? "Max" is the only profile which leaves my custom GPU fan curves alone. It's also 2kb smaller than my other profiles. "Zero" is an example of a profile which overrides my GPU profile. I tried editing the "Max" profile but even then it results in custom GPU profile breaking.

Edit: I noticed also that if I have the UI open and swap from the "Max" profile to another, it tells me I've made changes and I need to save, even though I haven't.

20 minutes ago, crazycubic said:

Do you mind checking these out to see if there's something in these profiles? "Max" is the only profile which leaves my custom GPU fan curves alone. It's also 2kb smaller than my other profiles. Zero is an example of a profile which overrides my GPU profile. I tried editing the "Max" profile but even then it results in custom GPU profile breaking.

Could you try to set a fan curve for both your GPU fans (anything but blank), then disable them back, then save that config and test it? If that fixes it, I found the issue.

39 minutes ago, crazycubic said:

Fixed!!! Thank you :)

Good, you won't have to do that gymnastic with the next update.

14 hours ago, Rem0o said:

Could you try to set a fan curve for both your GPU fans (anything but blank), then disable them back, then save that config and test it? If that fixes it, I found the issue.

I can confirm that it solved it for me as well. Before, if FC starts while afterburner is already running, my afterburner fan curve changes to bios default. Same when changing configs.

Before I just delayed the trigger for afterburner in task scheduler 30 sec on startup to let FC start before afterburner. Guess I can remove that now. 👌 🙂 Awesome!

Hey dear Community,

Here is Focal from Germany in hope of some new ideas and/or help on a FanControl issue I am facing since yesterday.

Long story short: I have exchanged my AIO with an CustomLoop and was looking for a comprehensive fan control tool - Downlowded FanControl V62, played around with it and fell in love as it perfectly suited my demands.

Due to an unstable RAM Overclock my System crashed while tinkering around in FanControl and since then it is not working properly anymore - nothing else has been changed. Starting it for the first time after dialing back my RAM speed i received an error message, cant recall the exact wording, but it was referring to a sensor from my config not being found.

Since then its just showing weird RPM Data - e.g. 21 RPM for Case Fan1 and 4042RPM for Case Fan2 i wanted to control (while all fans are running at 600 RPM actually). GPU and CPU (being the watercooling pump) is working normally. If i slow down CaseFan2 by hand, the RPM shown in FanControl is going up to 9000ish, Case Fan1 is staying unimpressed no matter what i do...

Id really like to get FanControl working again as it did before.

What i already tried to fix the issue:

-Re-downloading FanControl in different Version from 58 onwards // no change

-running an Malware Scan // nothing found, no change

-Reading out RPM Data with HardwareInfo // RPM is being displayed correctly for all Fans, including the ones displayed false in FanControl

-Checking RPM Data in Bios // RPM is being displayed correctly

-Downloading and reading out RPM Data in OpenHardwareMonitor// no Fan Speeds shown at all

This let me to believe that it is a software issue and not HW related (as i was already getting worried that maybe some water might have spilled without me noticing it), because otherwise why would HWInfo still display correct FanSpeeds!?

So i booted into SafeMode and:

-Run SFC /Scannow //some files have indeed been repaired but to me it looked unrelated to my issue

-ReRun SFC after reboot //all good

Booting into "normal" mode (not sure if thats the correct wording but i trust the point can be understood :)):

Re-RUn SFC //all good

Run DISM Online //all good

But still OpenHardwareMonitor is showing no Fan Speeds and FanControl is still showing weird readouts for the CaseFans.

What steps/measure could i take, without re-installing the whole system again, as everything expect FanControl and OHM is working fine?

Looking for any advice.

If you have any questions or remarks, please let me know - i do appreciate any help attemps.

Relevant System Specs:

Ryzen 3800x

Asus B350 Prime Mainboard

4 Corsair PWM Fans - each attached with a 1 to 2 PWM Y-Fan Cable to Cha1 and Cha2

Windows 10 Pro

Thank you in advance.

I signed up to say thank you.

After days of struggling I can sync my gpu rad fan to gpu temps without having to fuckle about in all these god aweful propriety softwares everyone feels like they need to have.

Still can't customise the fans hidden behind the fucking corsair icue bollocks but this is a start. Is that a possibility, btw? To get to the fans that are plugged into the corsair AIO pump blocks? HWiNFO can report the speeds but I can't get in and fiddle with the fan curves because that icue software is rubbish.