FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

• 2 weeks later...

Since I see you are still compiling that list of compatible motherboards I'll throw mine in

Asrock x570m Pro4-all my noctua fans show up correctly and my GPU is even named when I open the software!

10/10

just signed up to comment how this software is pretty neat. I am using it to control my case fans, since MSI BIOS control sucked really bad. For AIO I use iCue.

@Rem0o is there a difference in making two fan curves and combining them versus making a combined sensor and a single fan curve based on that? I am thinking regular use cases, not something extreme. Right now I have set up a GPU + CPU combined sensor, which outputs maximum of the two. Then a case fan curve, which first ramps fans up  to 50% at 60 degrees and to 60% at 70 degrees. Below 60 degrees it is set to 30%. During gaming my CPU has not got above 47 degrees on average. Main thought behind this set up was to have case fans ramp up when either components gets warmer, specially GPU. Wondering if there are any better setups for similar effect.

Case that would make my set up crap is when CPU starts spiking to 60s. Saw there's a way to set deviations and "debounce" readings though, might need to look into that.

38 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

is there a difference in making two fan curves and combining them versus making a combined sensor and a single fan curve based on that?

Yes, since the temperature range of both component is different. 

Let say your CPU is 30 idle and 65 load, GPU 45 idle and 80 load.

You would want 2 curves to follow these ranges and then take the max of that. 

If you do a combined sensor instead, then your fans will be spinning the same for your CPU hitting 60 or GPU hitting 60, but your GPU is barely in its load range where as your CPU is almost at its max temp.

Hi Remoo,,

Is there a possibility of adding memory junction temperature on Nvidia GPU's as a temperature source? 

3 hours ago, Gaz_Mataz said:

Hi Remoo,,

Is there a possibility of adding memory junction temperature on Nvidia GPU's as a temperature source? 

Haven't found any API to do so. Only alternative right now: https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.HWInfo.

However, just curious, does the core temp correlate somewhat with the memory junction temp?  If so, why not simply targeting the core temp instead?

4 hours ago, Rem0o said:

However, just curious, does the core temp correlate somewhat with the memory junction temp?  If so, why not simply targeting the core temp instead?

It depends what you're doing and what cooler you have, there can be a large delta between core and memory temps on 3080 and 3090 especially when running more memory intensive tasks.

14 hours ago, Bitter said:

It depends what you're doing and what cooler you have, there can be a large delta between core and memory temps on 3080 and 3090 especially when running more memory intensive tasks.

Not interested in the delta, I know it is hotter, I mean, do they both climb somewhat at the same time?

21 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Not interested in the delta, I know it is hotter, I mean, do they both climb somewhat at the same time?

It really depends on the cooler and the use. My friends 3080 FE while mining will have a 60C core temp and a 100C memory temp, fans running at appropriate 60C core speeds. If he puts the fans on higher the core temp drops and so does the memory temps but memory temps stay way way hotter than the core temps. The delta between core and memory is important for those who aren't willing to fix the problem with a better TIM (pad, shims with thermal putty, etc) because having the fans running off core temp is useless. During gaming they're much closer in temps but the memory was still hitting 94C he said during competitive shooters. I'm not sure if they rise at the same rate, but given that the root issue is poor thermal conductivity between the memory and cooler (either TIM pads with low conductance or improper pressure) more fan speed is a bandaid on the problem. However for those mining fan speed based on memory temp is pretty important.

Hey @Rem0obig fan of your work. switch to your fan control from speedfan on my Z97 just to try it out because i am upgrading to a new computer soon and i know for a fact that speedfan won't work on it.

Anyways, the most recent update seems to do something funky where by it resets my MSI afterburner's user defined fan curve on start up. (i have a RX580 that spins very fast by default auto fan speed even when it's not hot.. bought an ex mining card)

- So load into windows logon screen. Gpu fan goes brrrrrr

- login to my user account then msi afterburner start up and my fan curve kicks in. Gpu fan be tamed...

- Open fan control loads up. Gpu fan goes brrrr again.

- Open afterburner. click on user defined twice to reset it.

kinda have to do it every time I start up the computer now since the update. what make it behave like this and is there any config i can do to fix it?

Screenshot for context, I do set my case exhaust fan at a mixed curve to react to CPU and GPU because there are game i play that doesn't heat u the CPU much and there are times when i do things that fully load my CPU and gpu is doing nothing.

image.png.43f70e0653f195dc96dade576cec297b.png

1 hour ago, hahn87 said:

- So load into windows logon screen. Gpu fan goes brrrrrr

- login to my user account then msi afterburner start up and my fan curve kicks in. Gpu fan be tamed...

- Open fan control loads up. Gpu fan goes brrrr again.

- Open afterburner. click on user defined twice to reset it.

Do you have the GPU control card enabled in FanControl at all?

Current line of work: 

removing those stupid comboboxes to select numbers and implemented proper numeric text boxes with validation, min/max values and so on:

image.png.7c532e6ac76c664ef23effe320b2fa00.png

48 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Do you have the GPU control card enabled in FanControl at all?

nope. my current control right now is just to read the GPU temperature to control my case exhaust fan. also this doesn't happen on v76.

4 minutes ago, hahn87 said:

nope. my current control right now is just to read the GPU temperature to control my case exhaust fan. also this doesn't happen on v76.

Is the control card available though?  Some stuff might get touched when loading/unloading the driver.

1 minute ago, Rem0o said:

Is the control card available though?  Some stuff might get touched when loading/unloading the driver.

ah yes it is there but disabled. i had it hidden.

image.png.73647e99e83fd538b32f9f114ddc18e4.png

Hi and thanks for the nice programme.  I confirm it is working with MSI Z490 Gaming Plus mobo, when using the replacement dll provided by  Nefcairon: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1099996-fancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/?do=findComment&comment=13921622

I wondered if anyone knows the best way to revert to default BIOS fans?  Closing fancontrol doesn't seem to do this.  I have also tried creating a Fancontrol configuration in which all of the fans have "manual control" deselected, but this doesn't seem to work reliably.  Thanks !

Impressive job, I am looking for something that would allow me to switch between fan profiles using a hotkey, is there a way to achieve this using FanControl?

Hey @Rem0o glad to inform that your latest update (i just installed today) solved the issue!
Thanks for the swift update

On 4/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, Rem0o said:

Yes, since the temperature range of both component is different. 

Let say your CPU is 30 idle and 65 load, GPU 45 idle and 80 load.

You would want 2 curves to follow these ranges and then take the max of that. 

If you do a combined sensor instead, then your fans will be spinning the same for your CPU hitting 60 or GPU hitting 60, but your GPU is barely in its load range where as your CPU is almost at its max temp.

Moment you realise your CPU max temp is about 20C higher than your GPU's. RX580 Nitro+ is designed to be around 75C while Ryzen 3600 has maximum temperature of around 95C, I believe. I have really ever hit like 70C on it, when running benchmarks though (Cinebench R23, Corsair H100i Pro with fans on quiet).

My new setup is based on a combo fan curve though. My overall take on this software is that it's great, though I have had some few glitches: 1. sometimes it fails to find sensors, but after restarting the application, it is fine again (fan control itself works even when it throws sensor not found errors when opening the app); 2. For whatever reason it decided to ran my fans at 100% for a bit, despite my GPU temps being about 7C below temperature I set them to ramp up to 100%.

neat program, keep up to good work, would definitely buy if you make it a full fledged thing.

I've tried Argus Monitor, Gigabyte's terrible software, few other lesser known programs, but I have issues with all of them.

I've read a few pages of this thread and it seems like for the X570 Master it's a known issue that Sys_Fan 4 & 5 are greyed out, as is the D5 pump @ Sys_Fan 6.

Will these be added in a future update maybe ?

20 hours ago, SuperStreetFighter said:

neat program, keep up to good work, would definitely buy if you make it a full fledged thing.

I've tried Argus Monitor, Gigabyte's terrible software, few other lesser known programs, but I have issues with all of them.

I've read a few pages of this thread and it seems like for the X570 Master it's a known issue that Sys_Fan 4 & 5 are greyed out, as is the D5 pump @ Sys_Fan 6.

Will these be added in a future update maybe ?

Maybe, I can't bake driver support out of thin air, support has to come from external libraries, reverse engineered manufacturer software and so on. My main driver right now is: 
https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor.

Works good with ASUS Rog Strix B350-F Gaming, suprised it detected all the fans even the gpu right away.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Hi guys. Love Fancontrol so far, made my profiles and works great. Two issues so far. 

1 - For the life of me I don't understand why "shared memory" feature is not working and not sure how to troubleshoot it. I placed plugins, unblocked them, I restarted both HwINFO and Fancontrol but still cannot see any change.

2 - When trying to control NVIDIA GPU I have, seems to conflict with something else as it starts and stops the fans in an odd way. Is it not enough to shut down Asus GPUTweakII? Should I completely uninstall it to make Fancontrol work?