Mantle renderer now available in Battlefield 4 BENCHMARKS!!

Assassin

This is awesome, so even if you have like a reasonably balanced system (8350-7970), you still get a very noticeable performance increase. In fact it seems to get better the more high end your system is which is interesting. What's even better is Mantle seems to smooth out the CPU/GPU usages in the game which is nice. 

Still pumped for Linus' benchmarks, they will be the true defining factor. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

off topic: I would love to see the reaction of a year 2002 fps gamer when seing this screenshot.....

testcase3_mantle.png

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

So, will this get rid of the DirextX "GetDevice.." error? Because technically it's using mantle instead of DirectX, isn't it? That would help a lot.

who cares...

off topic: I would love to see the reaction of a year 2002 fps gamer when seing this screenshot.....

testcase3_mantle.png

Thoughts of from 2002,...Out of all that top info, being the wow factor, I'd look at CPU/GPU, and then go what the actual hell is Mantle?

Rendering pipeline... leik DX8? Wha?

Remember when Cudacores/Stream Processors were those seperate vertex&pixel shader pipelines,better yet,..

tl:dr Warning

Here is some history for you anyway.

For a long time (up to and including the shader model 3.0 generation of GPUs), vertex and pixel shaders were implemented with different units that had different performance trade-offs,

and vertex caches were a fairly simple affair: usually just a FIFO for a small number (think one or two dozen) of vertices, with enough space for a worst-case number of output attributes,

using the vertex index as a tag. As said, fairly straightforward stuff.

And then unified shaders happened. If you unify two types of shaders that used to be different, the design is necessarily going to be a compromise.

So on the one hand, you have vertex shaders, which (at that time) touched maybe up to 1 million vertices a frame in normal use. On the other hand you had pixel shaders,

which at 1920×1200 need to touch at least 2.3 million pixels a frame just to fill the whole screen once – and a lot more if you want to render anything interesting. So guess which of the two units ended up pulling the short straw?

Okay, so instead of the vertex shader units of old that shaded more or less one vertex at a time, you now have a huge beast of a unified shader unit that’s designed for maximum throughput, not latency.

Drop ya pants and raise your glass for Innovation.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So, will this get rid of the DirextX "GetDevice.." error? Because technically it's using mantle instead of DirectX, isn't it? That would help a lot.

The first time you load BF4 it will be DX11, you select in game that it loads Mantle, and I'm sure that next time you load, it would load in the profile folder config before starting the game and be defaulted to Mantle.

One can only hope it also covers that annoyance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

tl:dr Warning

Here is some history for you anyway.

For a long time (up to and including the shader model 3.0 generation of GPUs), vertex and pixel shaders were implemented with different units that had different performance trade-offs,

and vertex caches were a fairly simple affair: usually just a FIFO for a small number (think one or two dozen) of vertices, with enough space for a worst-case number of output attributes,

using the vertex index as a tag. As said, fairly straightforward stuff.

And then unified shaders happened. If you unify two types of shaders that used to be different, the design is necessarily going to be a compromise.

So on the one hand, you have vertex shaders, which (at that time) touched maybe up to 1 million vertices a frame in normal use. On the other hand you had pixel shaders,

which at 1920×1200 need to touch at least 2.3 million pixels a frame just to fill the whole screen once – and a lot more if you want to render anything interesting. So guess which of the two units ended up pulling the short straw?

Okay, so instead of the vertex shader units of old that shaded more or less one vertex at a time, you now have a huge beast of a unified shader unit that’s designed for maximum throughput, not latency.

Drop ya pants and raise your glass for Innovation.

I would kill to get my hands on Mantle right now and start working with it. I would sign the blackest NDA there is for the chance.

Getting the best out of our AMD ecosystem... Biggest improvement with an Intel CPU. Good job AMD :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Interesting. Still uses DirectX at the end of the day.

Now, I want to see how it perform with OpenGL. And I expect little to no performance gain, as AMD GPUs are not great at doing DirectX effectively, as that is what they focus on more. And you can see that even with the XBox One which uses DirectX and PS4 which uses OpenGL. The specs of the 2 are incredibly similar, yet PS4 is faster. From game benchmark of card, we can see that in most cases in DirectX games, Nvidia GPU's are faster.

Until I see the above. I see Mantle as a patch to the lack of performance of DirectX on their side.. but the patch will only work on select few games, possible less, like Nvidia's PhysX.

Mantle looks pretty good. Hopefully it becomes a lot more popular soon.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Getting the best out of our AMD ecosystem... Biggest improvement with an Intel CPU. Good job AMD :P

Ah no, I think you misunderstood the numbers.

The more significant the single-threaded CPU bottleneck is the bigger the jump in performance will be.

Official numbers from DICE :

• Core i7-4960X CPU + R9 290X GPU
    • 1080p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 9.2% improvement with Mantle
    • 1600p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 10% improvement with Mantle
  • A10-7700K CPU + R9 290X GPU
    • 1080p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 40.9% improvement
    • 1600p, Ultra Preset, 4xAA: 17.3% improvement

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Catalyst-141-Beta-Driver-Brings-Mantle-Support-Frame-Pacing-Phase-2-HSA

Does the 7790 support bios flashing into a 260x...? @TechFan@ic <- your pretty in the know on these things I noticed previously

Because - "Please note that only the following GCN cards will work for now: AMD Radeon R9 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and Kaveri APU"

HD7790 users may be able to unlock more performance now and not later with a bios flash...

HD7790 even has True audio, disabled of course. Although mention of bios flashing and unlocking it,.. isnt mentioned much from the audio only standpoint.

What ram is that 3960x running?

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I guess it was up to 45%....

Up to 50+% so far :P

With DualGpu systems of Highend nature still being crippled a bit by High end CPU's, being slightly alleviated better to provide even more CPU grunt feeding the DualGpu's showing a lot of realtime actual performance increases unlocked with Mantle.

Up to 50+% so far :P

With DualGpu systems of Highend nature still being crippled a bit by High end CPU's, being slightly alleviated better to provide even more CPU grunt feeding the DualGpu's showing a lot of realtime actual performance unlocked with Mantle.

I hope they work on single card performance as well. 

Now DICE has no excuses to not fixing Battlefield 4! Let's hope they actually get the game of the ground and fix it...

BF4 will probably have more bugs to be ironed out with Mantle.

Quote me to get a reply!

Microsoft's Directx is a curse to gamers, but thank god AMD is bringing much needed revolution to the gaming through mantle.

Yes, that is why, based on Mantle documentation, it says that it requires DirectX in conjunction for it to work. It can't be stand alone thing :)

So no. Don't say things you don't know anything about.

Awesome, yet disappointing that the 7000 series wasn't supported out of the gate.  Looks like this really removes the CPU bottleneck AND increases GPU efficiency on top of that.  Kudos.  Also, let's keep in mind for both the haters and lovers of AMD that this is only a first release of Mantle!  I'm excited to think of where this will go.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

Of course it does, intel can't handle the power. :-)

Either that or intel has a new PA

I hope they work on single card performance as well. 

The performance improvement from your Single GPU will solely depend on whether the CPU driving it, is doing so 100% efficiently or lacking the grunt. Mantle will provide the CPU that cannot fully use a GPU, into doing so.

Single GPU being a 290x

Throw it on a older Athlon 955 (Still a quadcore, 3.2ghz) just architecturally older, it will bottleneck the 290x, providing less average framerates and more variance/dips. Mantle should stop this from happening and give zFULL Potential back to the GPU enabling the highest of minimum/average framerates available to it.