Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Flat Panel(Plasma/LCD) television pc gaming vs monitor gaming. Positives/Negatives.

@LinusTech

Mechanical switches, monitor refresh rates, TN vs IPS..., PC fans, CPU cooler options, PSU WATTAGE NEEDED. The easiest answer would be, look at the repeated topics day-in and day-out. When the topic pops up again and again, we can be quick to link them the FAP. What would be very competitive with other tech channels, and attract lots of views would be VS videos. Compare this vs that fast as possible. Fanboys eat that stuff up. Again...TN vs IPS, MX Reds vs Blues, air vs water and so-on. Though that idea may be a forum killer. What would talk we about?? Try and think like a noob. When I first researched PCs and building, one thing that baffled me was ATX, mATX, mini itx. Seems silly now.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

My idea for a video is on choosing the right motheboard chipset for a given build. When to get the top end overclocking friendly ones, and when to go lower end. Pros and Cons should be included and examples of builds would be nice. It would be helpful if current AMD and Intel options were covered. A lot of newbies don't pay attention to chipset when making their selection and instead are completely fixated on price. I mean think about it, if you are getting a Haswell CPU, there are FIVE motherboard chipset's that will work with it (though some might require bios updates of course)! (B85, H81, H87, Q87, and Z87)

Thanks!

BIOS: recommended changes for easy performance improvements, I.E. Not something about tweaking voltages and what not, but is it worth it to disable AMD Cool 'n Quiet and so forth... essentially a few quick tips for changes anyone can safely make in their BIOS to improve performance at the cost of increased fan noise/loss of power saving features.

A brief summary of the difference between (Mbps)Megabits and (MBps)MegaBytes or Gbps vs GBps.  [1 megabyte = 8 megabits]

just like how 8bits=byte I don't know why I didn't see it before.

Also maybe something about why our storage isn't what manufactures say it is because they count it differently.

like how a 1TB HDD is actually 930GB or should I say 930 GiB which is how computers actually count it by 1024*1024*1024

while manufactures count by 1000*1000*1000

so instead of getting a 1024GiB HDD we actually get 931GiB

I just thought of it because I recently found this out during CES when Linus was talking about SATA Express having 1000MBps and to me I was like WHY we have 6GigaBytes on SATA3 oh 6GigaBits Per Second.

Some people like me hadn't known that they use that same standard in Internet Speeds.

I was always questioning why my 5MegaByte per second connection wouldn't download my 100 MiB file in 20 seconds until I found out that it is 5MegaBits per second.

My Gaming Bio thingy?  Anyhow I love co-op gaming so add me.   :) Skype/Origin/Uplay/Steam/Other -> "GuestForeverX"

Linus could you do a 'Network Noob' video please?

E.g benefits of using a router? Different standards, cables, Internet speeds, Nic or onboard, security.

Many Thanks!

Yep I see it.

Some of this stuff I've covered, some I haven't. Will definitely dig through again.

I'm curious what you have to say about displays with different finishes i.e. anti glare polarizer, gloss & glass and how they effect picture quality, colors, sharpness, pros/cons etc... Idk if this is exactly 100% tech quickie material since personal opinion is involved, but i know you have TONS of expertise and knowledge about the ins and outs of monitors and I would like to hear what your take on this is.  :)

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

I know all about it, but it would be great if you could do a video on the limitations of itx, micro atx and atx motherboards. This would help people better understand the limitations of each form factors (stuff such as number of memory slots, cpu compatibility (not possible to get an 8350 in an itx rig for example), max number of pci-e slots that can be used for sli/crossfire, etc... 

I proposed this video a couple months ago, but you probably forgot about it after responding to my post. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Pci-e Lanes, how many lanes do you actually need for a pci-e 2.0 and 3.0 GPU....

This thing is really not clear to many...and will be great to get your opinion on this linus... :)

@LinusTech after seeing the ultimate compact build guide you mentioned installing the windows OS by using a usb drive. Do a tech quickie on how to transfer the files for OS installation and Bios update onto a usb drive and how to format it.

I know all about it, but it would be great if you could do a video on the limitations of itx, micro atx and atx motherboards. This would help people better understand the limitations of each form factors (stuff such as number of memory slots, cpu compatibility (not possible to get an 8350 in an itx rig for example), max number of pci-e slots that can be used for sli/crossfire, etc... 

I proposed this video a couple months ago, but you probably forgot about it after responding to my post. 

already filmed and awaiting release :)

here's my suggestion why does cas latency change when you add more ram for example a 16gb kit with cas latency 7 is in your pc and then you add another one of those kits to your pc why does the cas latency raise

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

already filmed and awaiting release :)

I second Constantine's suggestion. A custom water loop 101 would be amazing. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

H264 is something i would like to have explained in a hurry

Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7 3820@4.3GHz | Asus GTX670 SLI | 16GB Kingston HyperX Black The Gathering edt. | H100 | 120GB Intel 330 | 240GB Intel 530 | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 4TB | CM Storm Stryker | Corsair CX750M

*Cough*Star Citizen Org promotion video*Cough* :P

Fan configurations pros, cons, fan controllers (how to set them up), Fan technologies (ball bearing vs sleeve bearing vs rifle bearing vs fluid dynamic bearings pros, cons, noise comparisons)

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

• The OSI model
  • IEEE 802.11 versions

would love to see this !!! or just some genral networking!!!

how to choose between 32 bit and 64 bit....just asking for myself but may help others also...

always choose 64 bit unless you use less than 4 gigs of ram 32 bit operating systems only see 3.2 gigabytes of ram so you could have a 128 gigs of ram BADDA$$ system and a 32 bit os and only use 3-4gbs

This might be more advanced or even easier question than I think but I havent seen you covering it: compatability. When shopping new computer hardware, how do I know that the parts I buy fit and will function together properly?