Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

PCIe 3.0 crossfire / sli !!

LGA 1150 (8x/8x @3.0)--- VS--- FM2+ {once kaveri is a thing to buy)  (PCIe 3.0 16x + PCIe 2.0 16x)

on paper FM2+ should have better graphics performance but again that is only on paper.. 

GO!

Please do one about ram latency timing

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I second the ram latency timing post as I do not really understand it myself. Also I would think it would be useful to show how to install an os from a USB drive.

Thanks, Golden

guide to air cooling, all our friends don't use liquid cooling, a quick video to teach about it, will be very helpful

• CPU: FX8150

Motherboard: M5A88M

RAM: 2x 4GB 1600MHZ Vengance

GPU: GTX 460 768MB

Case: Circle Uber Cool

Storage: 3TB Seagate + 1 TB WD + 1.5 TB ext WD

PSU: VIP 650 Watt

Display(s): LG 42" TV

Cooling: Air cooling, default/stock

Keyboard: i-Ball Keyboard

Mouse: MS mouse

Sound: ASUS internal Sound card on-board

Linus please make a video following up on the SLI video you made. Include whether or not you would be able to SLI a 770 and a 770 Superclocked. Also include if its possible to SLI a 780 and a 780ti. They technically have the same CPU and memory in both scenarios. Thanks in advance.

Linus please make a video following up on the SLI video you made. Include whether or not you would be able to SLI a 770 and a 770 Superclocked. Also include if its possible to SLI a 780 and a 780ti. They technically have the same CPU and memory in both scenarios. Thanks in advance.

780 and 780 ti are different chips. Also GPU not CPU. And yes you can SLI 770 and 770 SC. But both cards will run at the lowest clockspeed of the lowest clocked card.

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

guide to air cooling, all our friends don't use liquid cooling, a quick video to teach about it, will be very helpful

I believe he already did that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HsjgtMzEg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vG16oN-kys

Main Rig
Phone

• 2 weeks later...

• Motherboard chipsets
• Form factors

Sorry if I'm repeating somebody - didn't read till the end..

Sorry for my bad English!
i5-4590 | Sabertooth Z97 mk2 | Intel HD 4600 | ADATA XPG V1 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Intel 530 120GB | Cooler Master N600 | Seasonic G-450 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Win8.1 Pro x64

• 3 weeks later...

mATX vs ITX and what they mean and their uses.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

The different intel sockets 1150, 1155, 2011. What's the advantages / disadvantages? Which is good for what?

what's the latest usage stats on win XP users? like 15-25% or some shocking number?

with the looming XP phaseout scheduled in the spring a techquickie regarding this and what to do about it whether going win 7-8 or linux would be helpful. 

also reaching this disconnected unaware crowd seems like the main point of what the techquickie is all about. 

how digital signals work to send bianary code though a computer

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

what's the latest usage stats on win XP users? like 15-25% or some shocking number?

with the looming XP phaseout scheduled in the spring a techquickie regarding this and what to do about it whether going win 7-8 or linux would be helpful. 

well most are just workplaces and schools that use it for word and excel

-NAS: what's out there to buy, few quick ideas how to build your own, not tutorials but just like ideas ( freeNAS), possibilities and advantages- different protocols like DLNA, FTP or ITunes. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

General PC building methodology ....would have loved something like that back when i was building mine, there are way too many misinformed people out there giving out instructions. I know there are good guides out there but many of them are more or less parts lists that don't explain why certain parts were chosen

What does the different colors on the HDD means? (Like blue, black and green)

How about just a basic video card installation guide? I know it is literally the simplest thing to do ever, but you would be surprised how people can go wrong. Not removing the 2nd bracket when upgrading from a single slot to a dual slot card is something i see often, also plugging in power connectors.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Also How about which display connectors to use? The differences between VGA, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port and HDMI.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

I really don't know what has been posted on the TechQuickie channel yet since I've watched maybe 4 videos so far, but I'll try to give a bunch of suggestions to prevent any "reposting", so-to-speak.

- Topre vs Cherry MX-style keyswitches (gonna be important with what's coming out this year)

- Heatsink pipes. Copper vs Copper-plated vs Aluminum/Aluminum + copper, etc. Which is really best or how different are they, essentially?

- How different are wireless vs wired peripherals in terms of latency/delay? Is interference a thing with wireless devices, perhaps if you're near a microwave in use or have many devices?

- Something about wireless routers and/or router+modem combos. What to look for, what to avoid, possibly how different separate modems and routers vs combos are.

- What makes a radiator good or bad? What should people be looking for, since most seem to be almost identical overall. This includes CLCs.

- Monitor bezels

- Mouse pad surface differences - Cloth vs weave vs plastic/carbon fiber/whatever else there is that makes 'em different (not talking about optical vs IR laser, just overall difference)

- How different are all of the OSes in performance? Include SteamOS if possible.

Can't think of anything else, been 5 minutes already so I think this is good for now.

Fhardervig, on 11 Jan 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:Fhardervig, on 11 Jan 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:Fhardervig, on 11 Jan 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:Fhardervig, on 11 Jan 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

What does the different colors on the HDD means? (Like blue, black and green)

Just different types of drives with different specs/features. The "colors" only apply to WD drives currently. Seagate has a handful of different HDDs as well, also slightly different from eachother and WD ones.

Blue = cheap, average consumer HDD

Black = fastest WD HDD that I know of

Green = reliable, cheap, slower and more durable HDD

Red = intended for Raid setups, I believe, but similar to Green. Possibly more durable than Green, can't remember, but they're virtually the same speed IIRC.

Could still do a tech quickie vid on it, really, but I think there's been a handful of videos he's described the differences in each or just why he chose one or the other in a specific build. Maybe I even watched a techquickie on this.

well most are just workplaces and schools that use it for word and excel

on a techy and well informed forum it is very difficult to to comprehend but there are plenty of people who are coasting along with XP question is will an 8 year old machine that is running xp do well with win 7/8? will the non tech savvy person still using XP be able to switch to ubuntu?

on a techy and well informed forum it is very difficult to to comprehend but there are plenty of people who are coasting along with XP question is will an 8 year old machine that is running xp do well with win 7/8? will the non tech savvy person still using XP be able to switch to ubuntu?

1 yes it will just not very responsive at time i know because i used to use a p4 1.6GHz and it was a shit experience

2 yeah pretty sure just why bother if they use xp its because it meets there needs

Here are some ideas grouped by relation to the parts of a computer. Hopefully this helps visualize the ideas.

Motherboards:

• chipset (comparison/explanation)
  • sockets/processor compatibility
  • BIOS (explanation)

Memory (I don't know much about this):

• DDR vs DDR2 vs DDR3
  • Timings (explanation)
  • Latency (explanation)
  • single vs dual vs tri vs quad channel

Processors:

• Socket Type/Compatibility
  • Architecture vs Clock Speed
  • Clock Speed, Multiplier, Cache (explanation)
  • Cores vs Threads

Graphics/Video Output:

• Integrated vs Dedicated (whats right for you?)
  • (Graphics Cards): Importance of Core Clock, Memory Clock, Amount of Memory and Architecture (Why some cards perform better with same specs.)
  • Graphics Card version comparison (ti, boost, superclocked, GHZ/boost/black(etc.) editions) - What should I get? What is the best value?
  • CUDA and OpenCL (explanations)
  • Frames per second vs frame times
  • Video display interfaces: pros and cons of each

Storage:

• SSD (what is it?) vs HDD
  • NAS and "The Cloud" (explanations)
  • Backing up your data (how to, best methods/practices)

Power Supply:

• Efficiency Ratings
  • How much power do I need? (power consumption explanation)
  • (Not sure if related) TDP of components. (explanation)
  • Cable types, "rails" and volts

Cooling (I think you have some of these):

• Fan types: Airflow vs Static Pressure
  • Fan specs: CFM, db ratings, rpm (explanations)
  • Watercooling overview: Radiator Types & Sizes, Tubing Types, Fittings, Liquids
  • Safe Operating Temperatures, Risk of overheating

Peripherals:

• Laser vs Optical Mice
  • dpi and "pointer speed in windows" , sensitivity
  • Mechanical vs Membrane keyboards
  • polling rate (explanation)

System Maintenance ("How do I make my computer faster?"):

• cleaning a system for dust, etc.
  • cable management
  • how to free up space on a full hard drive (removing old/unwanted data), disk defrag
  • System Protection: Anti-virus programs, Malicious Software types and risk

I saw @LinusTech Post on Facebook for some Techquickie ideas. I made this list a while ago and took some time gathering all the suggestions, so hopefully you see this Linus!

Edit: At this point, you have covered quite a few of these topics but there are still some that are new!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I saw @LinusTech Post on Facebook for some Techquickie ideas. I made this list a while ago and took some time gathering all the suggestions, so hopefully you see this Linus!

Yep I see it.

Some of this stuff I've covered, some I haven't. Will definitely dig through again.